Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:46 AM

18,597 posts, read 31,953,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It is management's fault. If management provided job security for people who are sick, sick people wouldn't come into work.

MOST people care more about their job security than getting others sick. It's a no brainer.

It would be insane to be willing to lose jobs just to prevent people from catching colds, etc.

BINGO !!! Folks we have a winner here, finally some one who has common sense, thank you !!!

My company only has 3 paid sick days, you can be out more, but will not get paid. At my age, I don't care, if I am sick I stay home, paid or not...but there are workers here that will not, or cannot afford to lose the days pay so they come to work, thus getting us all sick.

So yes, I blame management also!!

There should be no amount of sick days, if your sick your sick. The immune system of ones body does not know the companys rules.....Obvioulsly, within reason....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
Sorry but when I am sick I have to go to work .I simply cannot afford to stay home especially since I am single .I only have my income to draw on.If it makes others sick,sorry but I must work .

and this is managements fault.

now because of that you go to work and get others sick.

thanks a lot, i am sure your co-workers appreciuate it.

We are not working for the "triangle shirt factory" any more....

Old 03-14-2012, 08:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
There should be no amount of sick days, if your sick your sick. The immune system of ones body does not know the companys rules.....Obvioulsly, within reason....
We give PTO, we don't care how they use it, but we do expect them to manage it wisely.

We had an employee a couple of years ago who had a run of really bad luck. He had kidney stones, needed dental surgery, and then came down with pneumonia, all in six months time. He chewed through all of his PTO before being cleared to return to work from the latter, and then near the end of the year ended up with a nasty GI thing that went through our shops. We worked with him and allowed him to borrow a few PTO days from the following year--the last thing we wanted was for someone with vomiting and the runs to come to work.

It was a tough week, over half our work force ended up sick. We think it was originally brought into our facility by a customer.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:00 AM

2,810 posts, read 5,668,775 times
As others have said, not all companies really have much acceptance of employees calling in sick. The company I used to work for had given people 10 days of vacation time per year and a few sick days on top of that. They then decided it was more efficient to switch to the PTO model, where sick days and vacation days are together in one pool just called "PTO". Problem was the number of days didn't increase, everyone just got 10 days of PTO per year... so basically what they really did was eliminate sick days! Sure people could use a vacation day if they were sick, but 10 days was already not enough for most people who had trips planned or other things going on throughout the year, so people came in unless they were too sick to sit upright.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:49 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,242,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That's what PTO/personal days/sick days are for.

My company has a sick leave policy, but we reserve the right to send home an employee who is sick. I can think of only one time it's been done in the past three years as our employees are good at managing their PTO.

We have PTO and it is applied to the sick day..but you only get 8 unapproved absences a year. An unapproved absence is an absence not cleared by the supervisor in advance....usually at least 48 hours in advance.

You can't just call in and say I'm taking a PTO day...it will count as an absence and your PTO may or may not be applied..it's up to the employee to request that it doesn't.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:52 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,242,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
As others have said, not all companies really have much acceptance of employees calling in sick. The company I used to work for had given people 10 days of vacation time per year and a few sick days on top of that. They then decided it was more efficient to switch to the PTO model, where sick days and vacation days are together in one pool just called "PTO". Problem was the number of days didn't increase, everyone just got 10 days of PTO per year... so basically what they really did was eliminate sick days! Sure people could use a vacation day if they were sick, but 10 days was already not enough for most people who had trips planned or other things going on throughout the year, so people came in unless they were too sick to sit upright.

10 days PTO a year? That's it? Wow...as a fulltime benefited employee I 'earn' 4 days of PTO a month.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
We have PTO and it is applied to the sick day..but you only get 8 unapproved absences a year. An unapproved absence is an absence not cleared by the supervisor in advance....usually at least 48 hours in advance.

You can't just call in and say I'm taking a PTO day...it will count as an absence and your PTO may or may not be applied..it's up to the employee to request that it doesn't.
Does the eight day policy change if you have a doctors note--for example you catch influenza and see a doctor on day 2. He gives you a note so you don't go back to work for a week. You fax that note to your supervisor. At what point do the "no notice" days turn into notice days?

My guess is your company did that because of people abusing the system. I know some companies have hissy fits if someone wants to take a personal day, so they call in instead--which is really stupid on the part of the company.

Our policy is that your PTO is your PTO, and if someone asks for a personal day, we grant it. We'd rather they ask in advance so we can alter the production schedule as required than have them call out at the last minute. We do understand that last minute personal issues do come up, but we have very little of that where there isn't truly an emergency because we don't question advance PTO requests.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
10 days PTO a year? That's it? Wow...as a fulltime benefited employee I 'earn' 4 days of PTO a month.
About seven or eight years ago I interviewed for a job that gave five vacation days a year, no sick or personal time, and expected you to work at their beck and call with no set weekly schedule for $8 an hour. Needless to say I ended the interview when I heard that. Talk about ridiculous.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 AM

we have the 3 paid sick days, ( which is really not enough)
and then weeks vacation. so basically it totals 18 days a year.

we can only get a max of 3 weeks vacation, so I get 18 days a year no matter what they call it.

I think it is ridiculous that any day off from work has to be called something, why not just say i am taking off day 3 of 18, then when you get sick call n and say ok I am taking day 4 of 18.

all this classification of a sick day, personal day or a freaking day you just want to stay home.....is ridiculous.....

somethimes all these working rules are so retarded.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
About seven or eight years ago I interviewed for a job that gave five vacation days a year, no sick or personal time, and expected you to work at their beck and call with no set weekly schedule for $8 an hour. Needless to say I ended the interview when I heard that. Talk about ridiculous.

i hope they didnt think they were buying loyalty...

I went on an interview years ago and one of the bosses says to me, "We don't pay overtime", I looked right at him and said, that's fine, I don't work overtime.

By that time I got it, and i knew that was not the type of company I wanted to work for.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment