Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 08:10 PM

663 posts, read 1,082,509 times

Advertisements

I am recovering from the flu and quite sure I picked it up from my co-worker the week before last. We went to a class together and she sat next to me all three days....the last day she told me she felt like crap and the following Monday she was all over the office, sick as anything .

Nothing ticks me off more than to spend a weekend sick.

What is it with people who insist on coming to work sick? This same person will call in sick when I know she isn't really ill.....the once in awhile mental health day. That's fine but save some of that sick leave for when you are actually sick and you really need it.

What's worse is we have generous leave benefits and if she's run out of leave, it's because she's careless with management of her leave time. There's another guy who works near me in the office and he does the same thing. I think it's selfish. Especially when he's so brazen about calling in when he's not truly sick.

If this happens where you work.....what can you do? Is there anything? That is, short of wearing a mask to work. I wash my hands and do everything to prevent getting sick. But if enough people come to work and hack all over the place, everyone else seems to wind up with it. Some of this is expected, given the office environment, but it's gotten ridiculous lately.

I also recently discovered our union rules () prevent management from telling an obviously ill employee to go home; they can only suggest it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 08:34 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,656,797 times
Some of them think the office will fall apart if they miss one or two days. Or they enjoy playing the role of the martyr.

They should stay home, because they do end up spreading it around.

Last edited by seain dublin; 03-11-2012 at 08:45 PM..

Old 03-11-2012, 11:09 PM

29,837 posts, read 24,937,877 times
A lot of people are not making much money, or having a tough time making ends meet. Many of them will force themselves to go to work, even when they know they shouldn't. Unfortunately, we all suffer.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Working in a biohazard zone is just a fact of life.

Our society admires and rewards people for coming into work sick. They are considered tough and committed to their jobs.

What can you do? Get the flu shot every year. If you don't, you only have yourself to blame. I never catch the flu.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:29 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
Many people go to work sick. They can't afford the absence on their record or it hurts you financially. So if you can crawl in, you do. Teachers are always sick too. Because the kids go to school sick. Mom and Dan can't take off to stay home.

The real truth is that you are contagious before you even know you are coming down with something. The worst of the contagious part is done and over by the time you are ill. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

All you can do to protect yourself is get a flu shot and stay in good shape.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
I'm surprised your flu shot didn't protect you from getting the flu. Maybe it's not the flu after-all and something more serious? Or the flu shot didn't take?

Hopefully it's not that you were too careless to get the flue shot.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:53 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,276,649 times
When people did that, I would whip out the Lysol and the disinfectant wipes. If they came over to talk to me, I'd say, "No offense, but I really can't get sick right now."

Hate to say it, but if enough people in your workplace go into shun mode, she should get the hint.

If she doesn't, I would say flat-out, "You sound terrible. GO HOME." You say union rules forbid management from telling employees that, but if it doesn't say anything about peers, you can say it just to make your point even though it has no authority.

And if she gets offended, so what? "Okay, you may feel like you can handle it, but the rest of us don't want to get sick and bring it home to our families."

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm surprised your flu shot didn't protect you from getting the flu. Maybe it's not the flu after-all and something more serious? Or the flu shot didn't take?

Hopefully it's not that you were too careless to get the flue shot.
There are many, many different flu viruses. Each year's flu shot only targets the one or two that the CDC and others predict will be the predominant strains. And even then, there's no guarantee they'll be right.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:17 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post

There are many, many different flu viruses. Each year's flu shot only targets the one or two that the CDC and others predict will be the predominant strains. And even then, there's no guarantee they'll be right.
Thanks. I looked it up. They target 3.

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Q & A: Seasonal Flu Shot

Old 03-12-2012, 07:43 AM

25,850 posts, read 16,549,505 times
I blame the fact that people are constantly cleaning their hands with anti-bacterial soaps and hand cleaners. Clorox wiping everything down constantly. In other words, people have become too clean. It's good for your immune system to be hammered on by viruses and germs. I personally never blame others for making me sick. The bugs are in the air, you could have picked it up anywhere.

My Mom lives alone so how does she get the flu? But she still get's it. My sister brings her groceries and mail but still Mom get's sick even when my sister doesn't.

I don't use anti-bacterial wipes or soap and I rarely wipe anything down (except to just clean, not for germs). I mean I wash my hands after the bathroom ect--but I think you run and treadmill for your heart and your immune system needs exercise too to remain strong.

Just MHO.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:10 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,505,104 times
when there were sick people hacking in meeting rooms...I would simply get up and quietly nmove to another area of the room far away from that person. Don't make it a big deal, just move. If you are very tentative in the beginning of the meeting, you can do this before everyone is seated. This way they might think you wanted a better seat for viewing or a softer chair.

If the room is very small, maybe just leave the meeting quietly. Tell the boss later why you left the meeting.

If it is someone sitting next to you at your office, maybe YOU just go home for the day to get away. See if you can take your work home and work from home the rest of the day. See if you can make up the time later in the week if that is an option. Tell the boss why.

If you learn the first time that the above options won't work, go home sick for the rest of the day just to get away from the germ spreader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment