Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:36 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,413,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePugx3 View Post
I am recovering from the flu and quite sure I picked it up from my co-worker the week before last. We went to a class together and she sat next to me all three days....the last day she told me she felt like crap and the following Monday she was all over the office, sick as anything .

Nothing ticks me off more than to spend a weekend sick.

What is it with people who insist on coming to work sick? This same person will call in sick when I know she isn't really ill.....the once in awhile mental health day. That's fine but save some of that sick leave for when you are actually sick and you really need it.

What's worse is we have generous leave benefits and if she's run out of leave, it's because she's careless with management of her leave time. There's another guy who works near me in the office and he does the same thing. I think it's selfish. Especially when he's so brazen about calling in when he's not truly sick.

If this happens where you work.....what can you do? Is there anything? That is, short of wearing a mask to work. I wash my hands and do everything to prevent getting sick. But if enough people come to work and hack all over the place, everyone else seems to wind up with it. Some of this is expected, given the office environment, but it's gotten ridiculous lately.

I also recently discovered our union rules () prevent management from telling an obviously ill employee to go home; they can only suggest it.
Amen.
Always a good reminder to people that their "sick" can make the whole company sick. That goes for sending your kids to school and daycare as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 09:57 PM

9,026 posts, read 13,926,983 times
Most people don't have sick days anymore. I don't get paid if I call out sick.
Plus,a lot of employers will think you are lying just to get out of work.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:51 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,738,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Most people don't have sick days anymore. I don't get paid if I call out sick.
Plus,a lot of employers will think you are lying just to get out of work.
The second part is what I've experienced. We had a very generous flex/sick day compensation package but if we actually called in sick we basically had to face management prying into our lives to make sure we were actually sick. At one point the owner of the company required doctors notes EVERY time you called out, even if it was for a simple cold. I didn't want to go to the ER and pay my $100 copay for a note, nor did I want to wait in line at the urgent care to get a note, so I only called in sick once in 4 years. You had to have the note within 48 hours, and my regular Dr. is usually around 6 weeks out for an appt.

So yeah, I just went to work when I was sick and warned everyone.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:10 PM

134 posts, read 368,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Amen.
Always a good reminder to people that their "sick" can make the whole company sick. That goes for sending your kids to school and daycare as well.
Keep in mind most people aren't contagiously sick for just one day. I think it's frowned upon to take 3-4 days off if you're really trying to avoid getting people sick.

We have this kind of agony competition complex in the US where people brag about going to work when they're on the verge of coughing up organs, or bragging about how many bones they've broken or what have you.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:17 PM

9,026 posts, read 13,926,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
The second part is what I've experienced. We had a very generous flex/sick day compensation package but if we actually called in sick we basically had to face management prying into our lives to make sure we were actually sick. At one point the owner of the company required doctors notes EVERY time you called out, even if it was for a simple cold. I didn't want to go to the ER and pay my $100 copay for a note, nor did I want to wait in line at the urgent care to get a note, so I only called in sick once in 4 years. You had to have the note within 48 hours, and my regular Dr. is usually around 6 weeks out for an appt.

So yeah, I just went to work when I was sick and warned everyone.

I believe its other non responsible employees who make it bad for everyone else.
The ones who called in sick when they weren't ,and they almost always did it on the weekends. They just wanted to stay home or go out partying.

Plus,in nursing you are almost guaranteed to be sick most of the time,so I guess its expected of us to come to work sick anyway.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,467,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletneon View Post
What about people with allergies? I get sinusitis once or twice a year due to seasonal allergies and still go to work. I won't get you sick with it...
That's so true. Allergies can make a person sound sick when they're not, especially if they have asthma. They'll be sniffling, blowing their nose, have running eyes, coughing, but they won't be contagious. Then their allergies can turn to a sinus infection and they'll have a fever but still not be contagious.

As a result, people with allergies probably appear to be going to work sick and calling off when they aren't sick. The reality is probably that they are going in when they are dealing with normal allergies and calling off when they are terribly miserable and sick.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,467,636 times
Quote:
Also, when the same two people are always sick and rarely calling in sick, they are selfish. It may be a risk people have to take but when the same people do it all the time, something should be done.
So people with weak immune systems don't have a right to stable employment?

If they called off every time they were sick, they'd get fired.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,738,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I believe its other non responsible employees who make it bad for everyone else.
The ones who called in sick when they weren't ,and they almost always did it on the weekends. They just wanted to stay home or go out partying.

Plus,in nursing you are almost guaranteed to be sick most of the time,so I guess its expected of us to come to work sick anyway.

The funny thing is that there wasn't any of that irresponsible calling in sick going on. It was easier to call in with a hangover than it was to call in sick. If you had a hangover, he'd laugh and say 'ok, sleep it off' and it wouldn't be a big deal.

However, if you were actually sick you had to prove it somehow. Unless you were a member of his 'legacy' employees who could take time off whenever they wanted, for whatever reason and he didn't care. It was only us peons that had to prove it.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:42 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,291,208 times
Quote:
It's the flu she spread all over the office. I get flu shots every year.

She came to work today with a sinus infection....sigh.....
Unlike the Flu, a sinus infection is not contagious.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:07 AM

663 posts, read 1,085,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes;
So people with weak immune systems don't have a right to stable employment?

If they called off every time they were sick, they'd get fired.
Umm, the two people I was referring to don't have "weak immune systems." They both have a propensity towards calling in sick for fun days, yet drag themselves to work when they should have called in. One of them even jokes around about it. The other one, she calls in sick to go wedding dress shopping with her mother but drags her flu and sinus infection to work with her....that's a most recent example.

This is why it is especially irritating.....they are selfish enough to misuse their sick time on a regular basis, brag or joke about it, and then come to work when they are sick. If either of them were going to get fired, it would have happened eons ago....one of them has worked there for 30+ years and with it being union, well, if he did get fired he would probably sue them and win enough to retire early.

So no, I'm not saying people with weak immune systems don't have a right to stable employment .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment