Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 07:10 PM

78 posts, read 314,386 times

Advertisements

Monday I'll have to terminate a very good employee that tested positive to THC. It's in the company handbook and I have to let em go.

He is a machine operator and drives a company truck and i cannot take a chance on him hurting himself or others on the road as the lawsuits would flow like water.

I Texas i know I will win the unemployment claim that is sure to follow, but what if was California and the guy had a medical prescription for cannabis.

Are those poor business owners in CA screwed? Can you fire employees for a medical condition that requires medical treatment from marijuana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 07:30 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,516,350 times
I believe that they would still be okay in the termination, even if it is legal to smoke pot due to a medical condition, it is the same as if someone came to work drunk, drinking alcohol is legal, but not if it interferes with job duties. Especially in an issue of public safety. So, a person who has a script for legal marijuana could still be terminated due to a medical condition/medication, interferring with performing job duties. Same as if I drove a school bus, but took percocet for pain. I would lose my job, because you can't drive and take Percocet.

Remember, even if he does not get UI based on the termination from you, later on he could still collect UI, but it would not be charged against you. (If he was able to re-qualify, and file again, based on other employment).

Old 12-11-2011, 07:53 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,491,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I believe that they would still be okay in the termination, even if it is legal to smoke pot due to a medical condition, it is the same as if someone came to work drunk, drinking alcohol is legal, but not if it interferes with job duties.
I'm not sure if that's an appropriate comparison. Marijuana used in the medicinal sense is just that, a medicine. Alcohol is not.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:39 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,516,350 times
Did you read the rest? About the Precocet?

Old 12-11-2011, 08:52 PM

30,115 posts, read 25,216,272 times
Hmm, interesting question. UI is handled on the state level, correct? None the less, a company has every right to terminate an employ for drug use, so I don't see how such a worker in California would be able to have a claim. If a worker is having such a problem that they require narcotics or marijuana to function, then they should consider filling for disability. Of course, docs are handing out these little pot scripts like candy last I heard.

If the worker was in Texas, why did they have a script from California? Did they really expect it to hold any weight in Texas? Good thing you guys caught it though. Any mishaps on the road or with machinery, coupled with a positive drug test... The insurance situation would be a complete nightmare. These kinds of workers don't think about that and just assume the owners/bosses are being Nazis about a little innocent pot use. Not so much when you consider the liabilities and potential "what ifs" in business.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:59 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,096,489 times
What was the reason for the drug test? Was there an accident? Random drug screenings?

Almost everyone does a drug screening after an on the job accident because it is under worker's comp rules.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:04 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,083,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex1901 View Post
Monday I'll have to terminate a very good employee that tested positive to THC. It's in the company handbook and I have to let em go.

He is a machine operator and drives a company truck and i cannot take a chance on him hurting himself or others on the road as the lawsuits would flow like water.

I Texas i know I will win the unemployment claim that is sure to follow, but what if was California and the guy had a medical prescription for cannabis.

Are those poor business owners in CA screwed? Can you fire employees for a medical condition that requires medical treatment from marijuana?
This is why it needs to be legalized. There are people like you who believe that he is endangering people because he smoked pot sometime in the last 30 days. Do you know when he smoked? NO. Do you know if he smoked it once over the weekend, or while working? No, you don't.

I'd rather have an employee who smoked some pot than got whiskey drunk, came in the next morning still hungover, and then started operating the machine or driving your company truck half drunk.

LEGALIZE IT!

Old 12-11-2011, 09:05 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,224,692 times
THC stays in the body a long time, it may be that he was only partaking at home. But if he was smoking on the job, he knew it was against the rules and that he could get fired. I wouldn't have any sympathy for him if he were doing that, the stuff does affect timing and judgment.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:12 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,083,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
THC stays in the body a long time, it may be that he was only partaking at home. But if he was smoking on the job, he knew it was against the rules and that he could get fired. I wouldn't have any sympathy for him if he were doing that, the stuff does affect timing and judgment.

And that's the problem; there is no way to tell if he is using it at home or at work.

All other drugs have a short half-life, and will most likely never show up in a drug test.

Some a bunch of crack over the weekend, and it will be out of the system in a day. Heroin user? Same thing. A little pot? Sorry, you're fired because you took a few hits a month ago.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:41 PM

115 posts, read 227,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
And that's the problem; there is no way to tell if he is using it at home or at work.

All other drugs have a short half-life, and will most likely never show up in a drug test.

Some a bunch of crack over the weekend, and it will be out of the system in a day. Heroin user? Same thing. A little pot? Sorry, you're fired because you took a few hits a month ago.

This is so true and makes the whole issue with pot BS,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment