Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:50 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

This is a personal point of contention for me.... I prefer to work in a place that does random drug screenings and prohibits the use of recreational drugs. I've worked at places that didnt drug test (or just did it upon hiring) and the quality difference in workmanship was immense.

I think that if weed was legalized (and I do support that) businesses should still be able to test and deny employment if they so choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 10:37 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
This is a personal point of contention for me.... I prefer to work in a place that does random drug screenings and prohibits the use of recreational drugs. I've worked at places that didnt drug test (or just did it upon hiring) and the quality difference in workmanship was immense.

I think that if weed was legalized (and I do support that) businesses should still be able to test and deny employment if they so choose.
I wonder if we would have had the iPod if you had your way.

There are two groups of people that smoke weed. The deadbeat stoners with little ambition, whom you are referring to and have apparently worked with.

Then there are the intelligent, ambitious types that use marijuana as a recreational drug, such as alcohol. I know a lot of people like this, many going through med school at this very moment.

Because one has smoked pot does not mean that one is a deadbeat, unproductive member of society.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:23 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
This is a personal point of contention for me.... I prefer to work in a place that does random drug screenings and prohibits the use of recreational drugs.

I have no problem with prohibiting use of "recreational drugs" while on the job. But what does it matter if someone does something at nights or on weekends / vacation that has no effect on their ability to do their job? In short, why should a company be able to dictate what people do in their off-time (unless they have to be on-call)?

Also - by "recreational drugs" do you mean all recreational drugs or just those currently considered illegal? After all, alcohol is also a recreational drug. Based on your position, I assume that you do not drink alcohol as you do not like working in a place that prohibits the use use of recreational drugs in one's free time and, therefore, you do not engage in such activities yourself.

Quote:
I've worked at places that didnt drug test (or just did it upon hiring) and the quality difference in workmanship was immense.

I'd be curious to know what types of jobs these were - it may have more to do with larger aspects of the people themselves.

Quote:

Would you also think that businesses can expand such tests and employment decisions to other drugs (alcohol, tobacco) or other forms of recreational activities as well? Serious question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Because one has smoked pot does not mean that one is a deadbeat, unproductive member of society.
Exactly. I've known some who are the lazy stoner type, and many professionals who smoke and are quite good at what they do. Just like I know a lot of people who drink recreationally, but have also known a few alcoholics who have had serious issues in their place of employment as a result.

Personally, I haven't had a hit off of a joint since sometime in the early 90's, but I like to have a few drinks. I'd say that, in general, I tend to have maybe one per day - I might have a cocktail when I get home, or a beer or glass of wine with dinner. But if I decided I would rather have a few bong hits instead of a beer - I do not see what the difference would be in the grand scheme of things.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:49 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
It's just as forbidden to drink alcohol at work as pot in almost every workplace. It's increasingly common to forbid smoking tobacco. I've known several people to get fired for drinking on the job, and in one case it was someone everyone working with him liked a lot, including the supervisor who had to fire him.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:16 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
What? How would you know unless you knew the person? I have "alcohol drinkers" on both sides of my family. One or two beers a night? Thats funny. It's atleast a 6-pk or a pint of Rich and Rare in less than 2 hours.

Potheads smoke until they get high? Thats the point isn't it? You can't just smoke marijuana and try not to get high. It's not tobacco.

That's your family. I hardly drink and I haven't touched weed in several years. I know plenty of people who enjoy dark ales. Dark ale drinkers don't really get drunk. I know people who enjoy having a few beers without getting drunk.

Pot smokers smoke pot to get high, 100% of the time. No where near 100% of alcohol drinkers drink to get drunk. I'd say its arond 60%.

Either way, if you do so on a daily basis...that is pathetic.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:15 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,917,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
That's your family. I hardly drink and I haven't touched weed in several years. I know plenty of people who enjoy dark ales. Dark ale drinkers don't really get drunk. I know people who enjoy having a few beers without getting drunk.

Pot smokers smoke pot to get high, 100% of the time. No where near 100% of alcohol drinkers drink to get drunk. I'd say its arond 60%.

Either way, if you do so on a daily basis...that is pathetic.
I'm pathetic because I smoke a bowl while I look at the daily news before bed? If thats all the information you need to claim someone as being pathetic, then maybe you need to take a second look at yourself.

I work in IT/Safety, I financially/physically support my elderly parents, I play basketball every weekend and I'm a musician.

You would never know. But people like you like to automatically judge people who like to enjoy a smoke on their down time instead of drinking alcohol which is basically a poison and affects every organ in your human body. Whatever floats your boat sir.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:28 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,615 times
The simple equation for me is.... if not using illegal drugs is a condition of employment then you don't use illegal drugs.

I followed that rule for the 24 years was in the military. Of course I did not use them before or after my service.

It's like speeding. You know it is against the law but if you choose to accept the risk and speed then you can't blame anyone when you get a ticket.

It's called personal responsibility.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:35 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
I'm with you faabala. It makes complete sense. The issue that it's illegal is completely different than the issue of committing an illegal act and it's relation to employment. If you want to keep your job, don't break the law (or rules). If you want that law the change, don't debate it with your employer.... debate it with your congressman.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:28 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I have no problem with prohibiting use of "recreational drugs" while on the job. But what does it matter if someone does something at nights or on weekends / vacation that has no effect on their ability to do their job? In short, why should a company be able to dictate what people do in their off-time (unless they have to be on-call)?

Also - by "recreational drugs" do you mean all recreational drugs or just those currently considered illegal? After all, alcohol is also a recreational drug. Based on your position, I assume that you do not drink alcohol as you do not like working in a place that prohibits the use use of recreational drugs in one's free time and, therefore, you do not engage in such activities yourself.

I'd be curious to know what types of jobs these were - it may have more to do with larger aspects of the people themselves.

Would you also think that businesses can expand such tests and employment decisions to other drugs (alcohol, tobacco) or other forms of recreational activities as well? Serious question.

Exactly. I've known some who are the lazy stoner type, and many professionals who smoke and are quite good at what they do. Just like I know a lot of people who drink recreationally, but have also known a few alcoholics who have had serious issues in their place of employment as a result.

Personally, I haven't had a hit off of a joint since sometime in the early 90's, but I like to have a few drinks. I'd say that, in general, I tend to have maybe one per day - I might have a cocktail when I get home, or a beer or glass of wine with dinner. But if I decided I would rather have a few bong hits instead of a beer - I do not see what the difference would be in the grand scheme of things.
Well, if you want pilots and the mechanics who are fixing the planes you fly in commercially to be able to smoke weed then so be it. Personally, I don't. If you work retail, smoke as much as you want.

As for alcohol, the vast majority of people I know might have one or two drinks on a weekend, or might get completely drunk once a month or so, but the weed smokers I know smoke ALL the time. It's constant... I dont crack open a beer at 7 am before work, on break, at lunch and then have a few shots of whiskey to relax when I get home.

Sure, there are smokers who just do it occasionally, but I find those are few and far between. I dont mind smokers or weed in general, don't get me wrong, I just don't want to be around it.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:53 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
I'd say that the company handbook needs to be revised.
And that good employee should keep his job!
10 points for your competitor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment