Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:07 PM

379 posts, read 813,332 times

Advertisements

I started a job and noticed there were ants. I asked about it and found out there was nothing that could be done about it! Everything was tried, nothing worked with these ants. I had to leave, couldn't stomach that. And that's not the only place that apparently couldn't tackle the ants. They couldn't keep me there either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 10:24 PM

379 posts, read 813,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Do you think dropped food isn't served? Improperly stored food?
I guess since it's a business, they feel they have to do it. Just to save a dollar. There should have to be cameras in the cook rooms like there are at the auto inspection stations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Oh, don't get me started on the sanitary habits of the people I worked with.
Would love to hear about that.

What percentage of the servers in restaurants do you think do things to the food of people they don't like? If a group only came in for coffee, does that tick off the server because there's really no money in that? If 4 people go to a diner and 3 order sandwiches and 1 only orders a soda, will there a surprise in the soda?

Old 10-30-2011, 08:40 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh please. I'm about sick to death of people saying that phrase, "You didn't do your research", spare me.

Sometimes you really need a job and you take what you can get. And sometimes you find out, "Wow, this job REALLY sucks harder than I thought it would" and you leave hoping you'll find something even an ant's backside hair better than that one.

For me, the shortest was 4 hours.

I understand the need for a job. I have been there done that but I still knew what I was getting myself into.

I get tired of people making the above excuse that you needed a job so did not care. So you get there leave after a few hrs or days and leave that company in a bind and now put a small black mark on your employment history.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:34 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Default 4 hours..

4 hours to observe the work being done when i began training some yeard ago in my present job.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:40 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
I understand the need for a job. I have been there done that but I still knew what I was getting myself into.

I get tired of people making the above excuse that you needed a job so did not care. So you get there leave after a few hrs or days and leave that company in a bind and now put a small black mark on your employment history.
I've never had issue getting jobs after I quit the telemarketing firm at the end of my first working day. Neither did I have any issues when I walked off the job of the next employer after 3 weeks because the boss was ignoring a serious safety issue. In fact, I had another job on the table and immediately went home and accepted that offer. I've never been completely unemployed since I started working in summer 1999 to this day.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:56 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:

First of all, I didn't leave the company in a bind. The guy hired me because he realized I was totally desperate for work. I shouldn't have ever been allowed to work there. It was a place that gave the disabled a job. I did not know this when I saw the ad and went in to apply.

He hired me on the spot saying my disability was that I was unemployed. I was so desperate for work, (and yes, I really WAS that desperate), that I took it. But I realized it was not a good place for me to work and I also realized, all I'm doing is taking away a job from someone who is disabled and should have this job, not me.

So, yah, it's NOT black and white.

And it never showed on my employment history. I didn't even collect my pay for that four hours.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:21 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
First of all, I didn't leave the company in a bind. The guy hired me because he realized I was totally desperate for work. I shouldn't have ever been allowed to work there. It was a place that gave the disabled a job. I did not know this when I saw the ad and went in to apply.

He hired me on the spot saying my disability was that I was unemployed. I was so desperate for work, (and yes, I really WAS that desperate), that I took it. But I realized it was not a good place for me to work and I also realized, all I'm doing is taking away a job from someone who is disabled and should have this job, not me.

So, yah, it's NOT black and white.

And it never showed on my employment history. I didn't even collect my pay for that four hours.
In general those types of situations leave an employer in a bind. Regardless if you leaving did or not does not mean in most situations it would not. If it is a legit company it would show up on record, be thankful it did not.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:11 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,400 times
Quote:
In general those types of situations leave an employer in a bind. Regardless if you leaving did or not does not mean in most situations it would not. If it is a legit company it would show up on record, be thankful it did not.
You also have to remember that companies put people in a bind when they fire them. Rarely do companies give 2 weeks firing notice. The employer always has the upper hand. I believe the 2 weeks notice standard should go both ways.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:39 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
I started working for a paint contractor and on the first day I was on the job with a bunch of other guys and they had this big radio that BLASTING this country music - so loud that you just wanted to run away!
I made it until lunch time and then drove away and never returned, not even for my pay.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:31 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times
Exclamation Ha...

Mine happened in Albany, Oregon. Little Italian joint tucked under a bridge..Troll something-or-another. Roughly 10 minutes into my first day as a Waiter, I ducked, in the middle of the dining room, just in time to keep from getting slammed in the head by a flying bowl of Spaghetti and meatballs...Seems the owners exhibited their bad tempers towards one another on a regular basis by throwing food across the dining room...yep...10 minutes...took off my apron and walked.
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment