Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 03:45 PM

774 posts, read 2,604,165 times

Advertisements

About 4 hrs. I took a job washing cars at a detail show after school. I stuck out the first day then grabbed my stuff and left. Two reasons. One is I was the only person there besides the owner that spoke english and the second was all of the other employees were being rude, name calling, throwing wet rags etc.. Hey, I was in High school... What did i know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 03:54 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,281,083 times
3 weeks. During summer break I tried to find a job and the only thing I could find was a job in a factory. The description sounded nice, but it was just monotonous conveyor belt work with very very annoying colleagues who yelled at me for no reason or told the supervisor I did things that I didn't do. They clearly did not appreciate college students working with them, but at the same time were glad to have one to push around.
Every day I counted the minutes left at work and I would drive home very angry and almost depressed. So I decided to pull the emergency break and quit.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:23 PM

870 posts, read 1,571,767 times
About 2 1/2 weeks. I'm surprised I lasted that long.

I was working in the food service department of the university I was attending. I was responsible for the inventory. The man training me was so miserable and mean to me. He expected me to know how to order literally over 1000 food items and where they were placed in two days. When I asked him questions, he would act very annoyed and said I should have known the answer. I worked 24 hours out of 40 in that department.

Then for the remaining 16 hours, I worked in the cafeteria preparing food. I instantly received a cold shoulder from mo co-workers. No one wanted to help me. I was basically wondering around looking for things to do. I tried to talk to my co-workers, but I just short answers. The drama that went on also was enough to drive me crazy. These were people in their 30's and 40's.

Although I loved the university, working there have me a whole different perspective.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:35 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,483,513 times
Everyone's stories are great. It seems like I'm not the only one who quit early. I still feel stupid about quitting though since nothing was really wrong with my workplace, I just had nothing to do and felt really awkward. Also some of my coworkers were pretty bitchy. My manager and coworkers either think I'm an idiot or didn't even give it a second thought haha, I'm thinking probably the latter.

I still have orientation tomorrow and am planning on going to it, but I have no idea if I'm going to stay at Macy's. I feel like hitting the pavement again, but this time looking at relevant positions that require my degree.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:49 PM

495 posts, read 685,276 times
The 2 min job was a through a temp service.Can't do to much 'research' on a place when you have an hour notice to go to work.That day it was close to a hundered outside and I would have never expected it to be hotter indoors.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:59 PM

30,306 posts, read 23,784,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
2 years is the shortest I spent at a job. If you leave after a few minutes or hours or even days, it means you did not do proper research.
Oh please. I'm about sick to death of people saying that phrase, "You didn't do your research", spare me.

Sometimes you really need a job and you take what you can get. And sometimes you find out, "Wow, this job REALLY sucks harder than I thought it would" and you leave hoping you'll find something even an ant's backside hair better than that one.

For me, the shortest was 4 hours.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:20 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,395,509 times
I was 16, working at an un-named FF place, it was filthy. There were cockroaches crawling on the floor and food supplies in the back room. I was too grossed out, worked my shift, never went back.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:56 PM

379 posts, read 813,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
Also some of my coworkers were pretty bitchy.
I think that workplace scenario starts with the owner(s) who hires people who are like them. That's how an innocent outsider becomes the target of that kind of workplace. The already existing not-so-nice employees hope you'll be like them. When you're not, it's downhill from there.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:24 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,483,513 times
^ I agree. I see that happen all the time in clothing stores. The same type of girl works at a particular store because that is the kind of person the manager relates to or likes hiring and then the whole store becomes over-run with a particular type of person and if that said type is bitchy, good luck getting customer service.

In my situation, one of the coworkers was nice and introduced herself, but the rest just ignored me, which I was ok with because I was just the "new girl". There was one girl who was nice towards the beginning of my shift and she even gave me a small tour, but then when I didn't know what to do and my manager was busy, I was kind of awkwardly standing around and she would constantly pass by me and roll her eyes. A couple times I just told her "sorry, I'm just not quite sure what to do" and she would say snide remarks and be very huffy.

I regret leaving so early, but I kinda just had that flight or fight feeling so I flighted haha. I just need to get over it and move on.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:55 PM

8,090 posts, read 12,813,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I was 16, working at an un-named FF place, it was filthy. There were cockroaches crawling on the floor and food supplies in the back room. I was too grossed out, worked my shift, never went back.
That's the reason I enjoy cooking. I rarely eat at restaurants having worked at numerous ones as a youngster. My favorite activity at one place was "the cockroach races", you could bang on the board behind the dish washing machine and 20 to 30 roaches would scurry up the wall. Do you think dropped food isn't served? Improperly stored food? Oh, don't get me started on the sanitary habits of the people I worked with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment