Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:24 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,249,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I was calling the current climate a depression.
Oh okay. Usually when people use the term "depression" out of context, they're referring to the economy. Since our economy is not in a depression, I was confused.

People being depressed, on the other hand.... I'm sure there's a business that can profit on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 09:30 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,781,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Oh okay. Usually when people use the term "depression" out of context, they're referring to the economy. Since our economy is not in a depression, I was confused.
I'm just curious, what's your definition of a depression?

I ask because it's a subjective definition.

Last edited by 313Weather; 09-07-2011 at 09:42 AM..

Old 09-07-2011, 09:33 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,272,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
You keep trying to equate your situation to everyone elses. Do you mind providing a little detail since you insist on shoving it everyone's throat (how much was college when you attended, what was your wages earned relative to inflation, how far away were your jobs, etc.). I have a suspicion you don't want to provide that information because then your argument would fall face on its flat, although it's already bad.

And also, why are you comparing life in prison to the everyday life of normal, law-abiding citizens?
How much it cost and inflation has nothing to do with the platform and my personal story is simply an example of a point - not the exact recipe for success. It's provided to make a point about the effort I don't see happening with all these posts and just sitting waiting for it is a choice you make and if that is the methods you want to employ don't crank and complain about what businesses and other people are doing to you like you are a victim. i'm not equating my exact and precise way with everyone else, simply showing how one can achieve what they want. Seriously, stand back and read it because reading comprehension seems to be escaping you at this moment. It's not the details of myself, but the ideas and examples. It's not to be nitpicked verbatim, read it conceptually and in a broader box.

My anecdote regarding the prison inmates exemplifies the 'entitlement' people seem to have these days. My point is people have options, choices and opportunities in life and they made their own decsions on what they did or didn't do, just like anyone else, and then they expect someone to hand things to them - just like I see in here. If you can't see it then I don't know what else to say.

Last edited by Thursday007; 09-07-2011 at 09:45 AM..

Old 09-07-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
How much it cost and inflation has nothing to do with the platform and my personal story is simply an example of a point...
It has plenty to do with the "platform" because if you did all you supposdly did when I think you did and you had all the opportunity I think you did then you're in no place to be talking down to anyone about anything. That said however, you're certainly entitled to your blurry opinions, but that doesn't mean I or anyone else won't call you out on it.

Quote:
My anecdote regarding the prison inmates exemplifies the 'entitlement' people seem to have these days.
Apples and Oranges.

Again, what do people who have committed crimes have to do with the lives of everyday, law-abiding citizens.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:48 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,272,320 times
Quote:
It has plenty to do with the "platform" because if you did all you supposdly did when I think you did and you had all the opportunity I think you did then you're in no place to be talking down to anyone about anything. That said however, you're certainly entitled to your blurry opinions, but that doesn't mean I or anyone else won't call you out on it.

Apples and Oranges.

Again, what do people who have committed crimes have to do with the lives of everyday, law-abiding citizens.
Call me out on what?

Oh geez if you can't see my point - your case is more hopeless than I thought. I'm not arguing with ignorance. Peace out.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:59 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,145,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Yup, I see this ridiculously pathetic "start your business" crap all over the rust belt towns. Redundant unessential services, stillborn restaurants etc. "catering" to the freshly (and seasoned) unemployed crowd. I wonder if those bootstrap "entrepreneurs" could do much better by playing OH lottery, and I seriously wondering about their mental health.

Problem: Capitalists sharks Left towns to greener, cheaper oversee pastures, leaving unemployment & destruction in the wake.

Small wannabe sharks "Solution"? Set up a shop to capture dwindling $ remaining in the pockets of un & underemployed residents by providing unessential, redundant, silly, fraudulent etc., etc. services. "Concentrated" (by rust belt entrepreneurs) $ of the poor & unemployed is leaving the town (to pay outsiders for their goodies) almost as soon as a check is printed. Meager "accumulations" (if any) are grossly inadequate to jump start anything remotely capable of replacing the lost economic base. The end.

It's called "the law of diminishing returns". 120 years ago one could put a town on the economic map by investing $150 into a motor carriage shop. Today it will take billions upon billions to do the same. Skimming social security & unemployment checks will not generate enough of capital to compete in the well established industries. Solution #2? Create a new "want" & product satiating that want hoping that big bankers and corporations would notice and be kind to buy out and/or invest. Most of successful small business end right there.

In any case, if you have some $ to throw at becoming your own boss, please, no more new "family" restaurants in rustbelt land. It doesn't work, it doesn't help anyone (including you).
I guess its an element of desperation or being unhappy with employment - not having the ability to make decisions, tip toeing around employers to keep your job - which leads them to think they can achieve something with their own Business. Perhaps they are limited by particular job, salary level or manager - and if feel if only they did not have these restrictions they could do much better.

But yeah I take your point - there are many of these Business Ideas which simply add no value, are silly and downright embarrassing - you seem them on TV trying to get venture capital and makes for cringing watching, and then you have restaurants which Gordon Ramsey goes into and tries to turn around - there must be many small businesses out there losing money or just managing to keep a float.

I always see the idea or a restaurant, shop or bar - being much like a job - your earning potential is limited, and you might earn a little more than a job, but then its your whole life taken up running it.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:25 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,165,281 times
There's actually some good wisdom on this thread. Thanks to all who weighed in on starting new businesses.

Maybe we can have a serious advice thread about small business strategies without it turning into an argument over minutiae?

Old 09-07-2011, 11:35 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,730,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I suspected your reason for asking that was to 'correct' my usage of the term. Depression, downturn, recession... whatever term you deem the correct one, my main point is in this ECONOMIC climate, you better ensure that whatever product/service you're providing is viable if one aspires to start a business. Hope that alleviates any confusion.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:44 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,249,114 times
Quote:
I'm just curious, what's your definition of a depression?

I ask because it's a subjective definition.
In order to have an economic depression, you must have a sustained recession. How long and how bad the recession for it to be considered a depression is indeed subjective. But one thing that must be understood (and is accepted in the industry) is that you cannot be in a depression when you are not in a recession. Based on that alone, we cannot be in a depression at the current time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I suspected your reason for asking that was to 'correct' my usage of the term. Depression, downturn, recession... whatever term you deem the correct one, my main point is in this ECONOMIC climate, you better ensure that whatever product/service you're providing is viable if one aspires to start a business. Hope that alleviates any confusion.
I got ya. You need to be able to sell a good or service in an environment of low confidence and low spending. If you can compete with Walmart or McDonalds, you could probably do well in the current climate.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Call me out on what?

Oh geez if you can't see my point - your case is more hopeless than I thought. I'm not arguing with ignorance. Peace out.
Actually, I do see your point, but as you presented it, it's flawed, which I why I asked you to elaborate on it.

Apparently you're the one not seeing my point. One size doesn't fit all. You can provide all the personal anecdotes you like until you're blue in the face, just because something happened to you one way doesn't mean you can equate that to everyone else's situation then lambast them for not doing what you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment