Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:48 AM

615 posts, read 1,681,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Seems reasonable to me. Is the check given at the end of the year? Or is vacation time accumulated until employment is terminated and then is the check for all accumulated vacation cut at that time?
Year-end
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,278,083 times
We just let people accumulate forever. Had one guy who took two 3-month vacations in one year.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:15 AM

977 posts, read 1,821,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
what he's doing...someday you will too.
Koale
Cut out the condescension. You don't get paid unused vacation time here except for the unused vacation that accrues that year. It's a total lose it or use it policy otherwise.

So you can't get paid for any unused vacation from last year, 2 years ago, etc. If you quit, you only get paid any unused vacation days that you accrued in that particular calendar year. That's why he's the first case I've heard of here of not using all your vacation days.

If you work here, it makes no sense if it's December and you have 7 days remaining of vacation to not use them, barring threats of firing or something like that.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:42 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,435,107 times
Wink hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Cut out the condescension. You don't get paid unused vacation time here except for the unused vacation that accrues that year. It's a total lose it or use it policy otherwise.

So you can't get paid for any unused vacation from last year, 2 years ago, etc. If you quit, you only get paid any unused vacation days that you accrued in that particular calendar year. That's why he's the first case I've heard of here of not using all your vacation days.

If you work here, it makes no sense if it's December and you have 7 days remaining of vacation to not use them, barring threats of firing or something like that.
guess I just don't understand why you are so worried about him and his vacation days? Why don't you just ask him why he doesn't take all his vacation days? Some might think you just don't have enough to do...
Koale

Old 08-25-2011, 11:14 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,504,938 times
He cares, because he thinks that this guy makes him look bad. People can do what they want. My ex won an award at his office, for never missing a day of work, in a year...that was what he liked to do, was work...so, of course, he never missed a day of work. Others grumbled about him, but he never called in sick, he went to work ill..he never took vacation, he just liked working...killed his life, but he was okay with that...

Old 08-25-2011, 11:37 AM

15,087 posts, read 13,502,632 times
Especially in the corporate world, some of us are in high visibility / high impact jobs that face senior management. If a critical project happens to bloom in a given year and we play a big role in making it happen, then maybe we don't get full vacation that year. Hopefully there will be some payoff later...

Old 08-25-2011, 05:14 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,554,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
I have nearly 730 vacation hours banked and I don't intend to us them. I can cash them out when the position ends or...I can use them in case of an emergency. I have 'sick leave' to tide me over. Banked that up to nearly 500 hours so I'm sitting pretty good. Your coworker knows what he's doing...someday you will too.
Koale
If they don't cut vacation/sick payouts that benefit like some places are doing now.

I personally value time off more than a cash payout.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:27 PM

853 posts, read 4,055,193 times
Where I worked we had training that said one of the red flags of criminal activity at work was never taking vacation time.....so maybe he is stealing and doesn't want anyone to catch what he is doing while he is gone.

I am mostly kidding (about the person stealing), however, you never know!

Old 08-27-2011, 12:54 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,090,177 times
Unless your company has a use it or lose it policy regarding vacation days, maybe he is accumulating his time to save for rainy day or to take a major vacation at a later time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment