Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How does your employer treat requests for vacation?
Allows me complete flexibility with my alloted vacation days. 27 75.00%
Insinuates that my requested dates are "not ideal" times to take time off, but approved anyway. 8 22.22%
Does not approve requested dates for time off. 0 0%
Approves requested dates for time off, but later cancels the approval. 2 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 06:48 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times

Advertisements

To not go off-topic on the other thread, I've opened a new one. The below series of posts made me curious. In 25 years of employment with varying jobs from retail and fast food all the way up to senior level project and people manager, I've never been asked to not take a vacation, nor been made to feel guilty about it. I've also worked for the smallest of companies (2 people) to one of the largest (over 125K people). Still, taking vacation time has never been an issue for me.

So, I'm curious. Do most people feel the same as me, or as the below poster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
As I have said before, unfortunately, in the corporate world, vacation time is almost impossible to actually take. Employers will regularly cancel your vacation at the last minute, make you feel guilty about actually using it, and pile so much work on you before or after your vacation that you have to work double before or after, or just be forced to cancel it. When the OP said "without penalty", I don't think the OP meant paid time off without using vacation time. I think the OP meant that you could actually take the time off without being punished for doing so.
Quote:
business owners are cruel, heartless, completely out of touch with reality, and care only about money. They expect their employees to suffer while they live high on the hog.
Quote:
Yes, I realize most of us get at least some vacation time, but what good is it if we are forced to work double time before and after in order to use our vacation time and still get our work done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 07:06 AM

884 posts, read 1,171,617 times
I am generally given flexibility with my vacation days with the caveat that I can't take time off if my coworker has time off because one of us has to be in the office. But that's easily solved by us communicating with each other about when we want time off. Or if there is a huge project coming up that requires both of us to be there, but we typically know about that months in advance. I guess I'm lucky?

Old 04-18-2013, 07:26 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001
Yes, I realize most of us get at least some vacation time, but what good is it if we are forced to work double time before and after in order to use our vacation time and still get our work done.
I've never been asked to reschedule, nor have I had vacation denied. But I've never asked to take off during a known crunch time -- it wouldn't be fair to my coworkers who were left behind. None of them ever asked for time off during deadlines either.

The above quote is SO true though, wether you're taking off 2 days or 2 weeks, there's SO much to tie up before you go, and masses to take care of when you get back. But since my employers didn't allow days to be carried over, you can bet I took every single day! If you had a lot of days but no real vacation planned, many people would take off every Friday in the summer, or a lot of time in December.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
As a manager, I cannot go when my Director is away since I have to fill in, but other than that I can go whenever I want. Same with my staff, I only limit them to two gone at a time.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
My experience is pretty much the same as those posted. I have worked for companies who had specific dates blacked out for vacation due to various reasons, and we did have some restrictions on what employees could be gone at the same time; but all of that was clearly stated up front and therefore pretty easily worked around in most cases, and if you couldn't work around it you were probably working for the wrong company.

I did have one instance where the date of a company seminar that a fellow manager was required to attend was changed to a week that I had scheduled for vacation which bumped my vacation, but that's the only time it's happened in 20+ years in the full-time workforce so it's hardly the norm.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 AM

238 posts, read 315,565 times
At my last job, we had "blackout" dates that we couldn't take any vacation. Our choice? Take it during the summer months. I think it was because of the smaller Admissions offices at each campus, that we needed the steady support. At my current job, there are certain times I cannot take off due to registration periods, since I am the only person who handles many related activities. I had to come to work sick during the first week of the Spring semester!

Old 04-18-2013, 10:10 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,041,618 times
Based on waht I read here, I think maybe my field is unique in that our clients can suddenly dump unrealistic deadlines on us, and there isn't any particular time of year that is busier than others. Probably the most extreme example was a project that originally had a Dec. 24 deadline was suddenly (in July) changed to an Aug. 31 deadline.

So far, I have never been forced to cancel a full vacation. I have been forced to cancel single days off. Also, I tend to be guilt-tripped after the fact about my vacations, telling me that it was during a "busy" time and that "Bill cheerfully cancelled his vacation without complaint or request for compensation, why didn't you do the same?" Even though at the time these vacations were approved, it could not have been possibly predicted that it was during a busy time.

In any case, none of the poll options really apply to me, so I haven't voted. Is there a way to update the poll to add more options, such as what I described?

Old 04-18-2013, 10:17 AM

977 posts, read 1,814,835 times
Quote:
I have been forced to cancel single days off. Also, I tend to be guilt-tripped after the fact about my vacations, telling me that it was during a "busy" time and that "Bill cheerfully cancelled his vacation without complaint or request for compensation, why didn't you do the same?"
Oh do I hate the Bill type employees who are excessively compliant and kiss employer's behinds.

I've never had to cancel a vacation or single days off or gotten any guilt for taking vacation. However, I do know some people who work for employers who hassle them over vacation time.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:23 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,041,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Oh do I hate the Bill type employees who are excessively compliant and kiss employer's behinds.
The irony about such employees is that they enable us to work less overtime (any work that Bill does, does not have to be done by another employee) but pressure us to work more overtime.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:48 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
Based on waht I read here, I think maybe my field is unique in that our clients can suddenly dump unrealistic deadlines on us, and there isn't any particular time of year that is busier than others. Probably the most extreme example was a project that originally had a Dec. 24 deadline was suddenly (in July) changed to an Aug. 31 deadline.

So far, I have never been forced to cancel a full vacation. I have been forced to cancel single days off. Also, I tend to be guilt-tripped after the fact about my vacations, telling me that it was during a "busy" time and that "Bill cheerfully cancelled his vacation without complaint or request for compensation, why didn't you do the same?" Even though at the time these vacations were approved, it could not have been possibly predicted that it was during a busy time.

In any case, none of the poll options really apply to me, so I haven't voted. Is there a way to update the poll to add more options, such as what I described?
The poll can't be edited, but sounds like Options 2 and 4 specifically apply to you.

Option 2 - "I tend to be guilt-tripped after the fact about my vacations, telling me that it was during a "busy" time and that "Bill cheerfully cancelled his vacation without complaint or request for compensation, why didn't you do the same?"

Option 4 - "So far, I have never been forced to cancel a full vacation. I have been forced to cancel single days off."

Why do you think those don't apply?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment