Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 06:12 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,975,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
I've been volunteering for the past 3 months now, like 16 hours a week, am I wasting my time doing that since they don't pay you? because I've heard many times that volunteering can help you get a job, that it looks good when you write it down on an application, use it as a reference
It is ABSOLUTELY a good thing to have on your resumé. Whatever volunteer work you do is an absolute plus where most employers are concerned since it shows you have a work ethic and that you care for others.

The only problem I see is that you're thinking that doing volunteer work is a step up on your resumé and that you're doing it solely for that purpose. You are NEVER wasting your time doing volunteer work and, if you think it's a waste of your time and you're only doing it to further your own needs, that's a bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Volunteering for the type of work you want to be paid for is what you should be doing. I'm a experienced employment counselor and I wouldn't be volunteering at a homeless shelter serving food if I wanted to be hired as a employment counselor in the future.

Instead I would volunteer at a homeless shelter as a employment coach to teach how to find a job.
You're a currently unemployed counselor for a non profit organization which counseled ex-cons and lost it's funding due to budget cuts. Without any doubt you would NEVER volunteer for anything unless there was something in it for you. Good grief.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:15 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,260,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
It is ABSOLUTELY a good thing to have on your resumé. Whatever volunteer work you do is an absolute plus where most employers are concerned since it shows you have a work ethic and that you care for others.

The only problem I see is that you're thinking that doing volunteer work is a step up on your resumé and that you're doing it solely for that purpose. You are NEVER wasting your time doing volunteer work and, if you think it's a waste of your time and you're only doing it to further your own needs, that's a bad.

You're a currently unemployed counselor for a non profit organization which counseled ex-cons and lost it's funding due to budget cuts. Without any doubt you would NEVER volunteer for anything unless there was something in it for you. Good grief.
No I would volunteer for something that's related to my employment goals.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
No I would volunteer for something that's related to my employment goals.
Exactly what I said in the last paragraph. Checkmate.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:55 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,260,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Exactly what I said in the last paragraph. Checkmate.
And what's wrong with doing volunteer work connected to your employment goals?

According to you a person in college right now who wants to be a lawyer should do a internship at a Department store.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:

You don't get it and never will.

According to you a person in college right now who wants to be a lawyer should do a internship at a Department store.
That is NOT what I either said or inferred. Reading comprehension seems to be a continued issue for you.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:06 PM

30,115 posts, read 25,216,272 times
Quote:

Volunteer work of any kind looks good on any resume. That's why many high schools require it upon graduation... So the student at least has some experience doing something, and possibly a reference. Your volunteering for the greater good of society, not just for your own personal interests you know... That's why they call it volunteering. Have you given any thought to volunteering with your down time? If you spent 1/100 of the time you spend here doing SOMETHING kind for someone else, it may do some good.

I can tell you personally, my time in soup kitchens were humbling, educational, heartwarming and always made a good talking point during interviews. Does it have anything to do with the work I do now??? I wish, but no. Still, it highlights the point that I am a human being with a heart and soul. Some employers do give points for that still.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:23 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,321,545 times
well glad that i have not been wasting my time volunteering

Old 10-11-2011, 07:52 PM

181 posts, read 305,172 times
What's even worse, they want that experience but they don't want to pay for it.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:49 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,321,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiunion View Post
What's even worse, they want that experience but they don't want to pay for it.
yeah there is always a first time for everthing in life, how do you expect to gain experience if nobody will give you a chance?

Old 04-10-2012, 02:56 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,776,187 times
The people that want jobs are doing it for the money. Employers won't hire someone to get experience because they assume the job seeker will work with them for a little while and look for something better. Looks like I'll be doing freelancing for the rest of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.