Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:07 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,127,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Oh I agree companies can advertise what they may but it is misleading to say a position is entry-level when they are requiring years of experience.
It depends on the position, but overall, in my opinion if you want "entry level" you should want 0-2 years experience.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:54 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,697,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Find a head-hunter to help locate some positions for you. I would think that there would be some who specialize in marketing positions.
how would i go about finding a headhunter?

Old 08-14-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Sadly, bartending jobs all require experience these days too. I live in your general area, and every bartending job I've seen says 2+ years of bartending experience. Server jobs are the same way.
Barback jobs usually don't require any previous experience.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i graduated in marketing with a minor in fashion merch. i had 3 internships, 1 in advertising marketing, 1 in public relations marketing, 1 in fashion marketing at a magazine. i can get internships fine, as long as they aren't paying i can get it(i wish they did pay but oh well)

. the problem is getting a paying job --period. i have tried becoming an administrative assistant because i worked under one for 3 years in college but i'm not even getting that(i have tried waitressing,bartending,retail but thats not coming through either)

i dont mind starting at the bottom! thats no biggie to me, i dont even care if i don't eat(during the last internship i wasn't) i just want to work in my field or close to it. with that being said i say that because if i work outside field i will never get the 3-8 year experience needed to ever work in that field.. i dont know what i'm doing. i'm just confused on what to do and i needed help and trying my best to stay off the pole (and by pole i mean stripper pole).
Have you joined the AMA and utilized their resources?

Old 08-14-2011, 02:22 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,531,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Okay I graduated from college(like that matters now a days) about 8 months ago, and even though I have done internships in my field, I can't find a job because when I look at job descriptions even for entry level they want you to have 3-8 years experience..
like where the hell am i suppose to get that?
like i know i can do a job, if was given a chance but i can't get a chance with out chances..

anyone else experiencing this?
and another thing, is the internet the only way to find a job?! i mean the newspaper of course (which i rarely work in my major/close to it anyway) but what are other ways...or am i slave to the net forever?
A few things, even thogh some stuff says 3-5 years experience still aplly, you'll be surprised how often you'll still get a call and an interview and if they call you they are obviously open to hiring someone entry level if your a good fit, hard worker, etc.

The toher thing is this, why didn't you try to turn your internship into a job? Thats really the whole point of an internship.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:56 PM

188 posts, read 415,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
A few things, even thogh some stuff says 3-5 years experience still aplly, you'll be surprised how often you'll still get a call and an interview and if they call you they are obviously open to hiring someone entry level if your a good fit, hard worker, etc.

The toher thing is this, why didn't you try to turn your internship into a job? Thats really the whole point of an internship.
I know a few people who had internships for a few summers at a company, but then the company did not have any open positions available. The company did try to give them other leads though.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:23 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,316,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Volunteer work and unpaid internships.
I've been doing that lately for the past 3 months, volunteering

Old 08-15-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
I've been doing that lately for the past 3 months, volunteering
Is it even remotely related to your field?

Old 08-15-2011, 11:50 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,316,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Is it even remotely related to your field?
no i'm just volunteering to gain good references, because volunteering shows you have initiative, you have a take-charge attitude, and you are willing to work

Old 08-15-2011, 01:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,397,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
why didn't you try to turn your internship into a job? Thats really the whole point of an internship.
That is what I was wondering. One of our VP's did that here. He started with an internship in Administration. During that time frame he used that internship to his advantage not only learning all he could but taking over projects to show everyone what he could accomplish. Within a year the CEO decided that we were better off with him than having him work somewhere else. He started as an Admin Assistant and over a 10 year period is now a VP and running one of our two hospitals.

My thought that is if someone is investing their time as an intern that they would have a strategy to make that a permanent thing. I get the fact that many places may not be in the market to hire a full time person and maybe they just like having the free worker. Still I would think that their are plenty of places that would hire someone that as seen as a valuable asset to the organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment