Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 10:44 PM

547 posts, read 940,333 times

Advertisements

If one has been out of college for 7-10 years, has taken on a lot of low paying jobs (none required a college degree), and his resume is not all that impressive but does have work experience on there, would that hurt someone who is applying for a job that requires a college degree?

Wouldn't the potential employer in question shy away from someone like that because now they're looking at work experience more so than the college degree and the work experience for someone who's been out of college for a long time isn't that impressive (work experience could be substitute teacher, customer service associate at a store, etc)?

Has the person shot him/herself in the foot by taking on a lot of low paying jobs over the years and not moving beyond a low paying job and into something more meaningful in terms of money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 10:50 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,404,832 times
Depends on what the job is in relation to the work experience. If the two do not correlate, then it's a problem.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:21 PM

593 posts, read 1,413,067 times
Personally, I think that a hiring person would use their common sense and think that maybe you were just naturally looking to make more money and progress in your career goals and they wouldn't read too much into it. The economy has been tough for many years, some people have high hopes of using their degree to get a job, but the reality is that many have to take whatever they get.

I would think the opposite problem (Had jobs that required college degrees but were now looking for a minimum wage position) would raise more of a red flag than your situation.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
It does depend on the position and specific job requirements. Most of the positions I hire for (starting at about $22-25/hour) do not require a degree, but they do require 3 years of specific experience. Those that do require a degree also require 3-5 years experience.
We have about 2,000 employees and there are none that would not require experience. On the other hand, we do help people gain experience with our paid internships, however your example is too far out of college to qualify. We simply want the best people,who can do good work from the very beginning, and in the last 5-6 years there have been more than enough people with experience applying. That could change in the future, but I'd doubt it will ever go back to the way it was in the 90s when employers had compete for people and overpaid, with crazy benefits like free day care and lunches.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:59 PM

547 posts, read 940,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
Personally, I think that a hiring person would use their common sense and think that maybe you were just naturally looking to make more money and progress in your career goals and they wouldn't read too much into it. The economy has been tough for many years, some people have high hopes of using their degree to get a job, but the reality is that many have to take whatever they get.

I would think the opposite problem (Had jobs that required college degrees but were now looking for a minimum wage position) would raise more of a red flag than your situation.
Interesting. I just feel like for me if I apply to a place that requires a college degree and the people looking over my resume see a college degree but a bunch of low paying jobs, then they might figure I don't really have any kind of potential and pass me up for someone else since I've been out of college for so ong and have been taking jobs that don't lead to anywhere.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 PM

23,616 posts, read 70,539,170 times
Depends. The fact that you are documenting working is good, if you are barking for a high-level job and there isn't an indication of growth, not so good. Is there any point in obsessing over it at this point? I can't see any. What is, is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment