Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe there are a lot of nursing jobs?
No 80 71.43%
Yes 32 28.57%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 01:29 PM

801 posts, read 2,568,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The working conditions need to improve so they can alleviate the frighteningly low retention rate. People pour out of the profession just as fast as people enter it.

For everything that nurses do, they are expected to deal with some of the worst working conditions in my opinion. Injuries are common, and the conditions can be downright dangerous. Muscular-skeletal injuries are much more prevalent than people realize. Aside from this, they do not get the respect they deserve. Sure, people may think it's a cool gig, but that's about it. At the end of the day, they are the front line between the doctor and the angry families, and cases of physical abuse are much more common than people realize. They are treated with no respect, and few realize how much stress they must deal with every day. Tell me, who wants to go to college for 4 years for this? Once people see what it is really like, many feel it simply is not worth it and move on to something else.

This is why I have all the respect in the world for seasoned nurses... You all rock, but I sure couldn't do it

I regularly read the postings on the Workplace Bullying Institute website, and according to them, nurses also are among the most bullied professions.

Guest blog: Bullying and Nurses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 02:25 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,169,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
I regularly read the postings on the Workplace Bullying Institute website, and according to them, nurses also are among the most bullied professions.

Guest blog: Bullying and Nurses
Oh and it's totally true! Nursing school is the worst too. As if, in nursing, one needs to be stressed with this while they're also stressed about life and death situations for double the amount of patients they should be caring for to begin with. Nope siree---not for me Bob! Initially, I felt I would regret my short-lived nursing "career", but I haven't as of yet and I can say that while life is NOT perfect and work will never be 100% fantastic, I truly am so much happier.

I'm an individual who thinks for myself and the whole instructor spiels in nursing school about how you have to be "tough" & "thick skinned"(aka, willing to be CRAPPED on and take it) weren't working on me. I'm not one to be brainwashed. You'll hear all this stuff about "Nursing is not for everyone". Ya think? Prostitution isn't for everyone either, for example. Drug dealing isn't for everyone either. Just because it isn't, doesn't mean you don't have what a takes, because the truth is, intelligent people don't want to be in a profession that lives to cut you down and eat away at you. People with higher levels of thinking see above all that.

I can't even begin to tell you how many reputation points/messages I've received from nurses on this thread alone. Keep them coming if you see the sense in what I'm posting! I want a special yellow star under my username.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:27 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times
Our hospital (and many like it) are going to only hiring BSN nurses...so the associate degree ones may have a harder time getting a job.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Our hospital (and many like it) are going to only hiring BSN nurses...so the associate degree ones may have a harder time getting a job.
I'm wondering when they will just make the BSN the standard for this profession already. Shoot, if I want to be an engineer a minimum of 4 years of college is needed. Physical Therapy requires 6+ years, yet nursing only requires 1 year for LPN or 2 for RN? Doesn't make sense as they're the on the front line for patient care and strictly responsible for many peoples lives. The field could be remolded and revived, but I just don't ever see that happening...not in my lifetime at least.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:00 PM

29,839 posts, read 24,942,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
Oh and it's totally true! Nursing school is the worst too. As if, in nursing, one needs to be stressed with this while they're also stressed about life and death situations for double the amount of patients they should be caring for to begin with. Nope siree---not for me Bob! Initially, I felt I would regret my short-lived nursing "career", but I haven't as of yet and I can say that while life is NOT perfect and work will never be 100% fantastic, I truly am so much happier.

I'm an individual who thinks for myself and the whole instructor spiels in nursing school about how you have to be "tough" & "thick skinned"(aka, willing to be CRAPPED on and take it) weren't working on me. I'm not one to be brainwashed. You'll hear all this stuff about "Nursing is not for everyone". Ya think? Prostitution isn't for everyone either, for example. Drug dealing isn't for everyone either. Just because it isn't, doesn't mean you don't have what a takes, because the truth is, intelligent people don't want to be in a profession that lives to cut you down and eat away at you. People with higher levels of thinking see above all that.

I can't even begin to tell you how many reputation points/messages I've received from nurses on this thread alone. Keep them coming if you see the sense in what I'm posting! I want a special yellow star under my username.
Let me tell ya, there are plenty of instructors out there who put their students through hell, and I believe they do it as a test. They want to make sure you are going to be able to deal with the work environment. In a way, if they push students out of the program, they are doing the student a favor. No sense wasting anymore time and money if you can't cope. They need people who can function and make good decisions under intense stress, because that is a big part of the job, and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

There is a big problem in the profession with drug and alcohol abuse. It's not talked about, but nurses have more issues with this than most professions. It makes sense, then, to keep people out who can't deal with stress, because some will inevitably turn to substance abuse as a way to cope. Working in a hospital, a nurse is in a perfect position to obtain narcotics... Not good for those who can't deal with stress!

Quote:
I'm wondering when they will just make the BSN the standard for this profession already. Shoot, if I want to be an engineer a minimum of 4 years of college is needed. Physical Therapy requires 6+ years, yet nursing only requires 1 year for LPN or 2 for RN? Doesn't make sense as they're the on the front line for patient care and strictly responsible for many peoples lives. The field could be remolded and revived, but I just don't ever see that happening...not in my lifetime at least.
I think what is going to happen is the ADN programs will gradually fade out, but those with just an ADN with working experience will be grandfathered in. Many professions that never required college before, but do now, have people with no education who were "grandfathered" in. Engineering is a good example, and I do see many with no college degree. There have been plenty of engineers who graduated with an associates degree in the last decade who are working today, and they will do fine with their experience.

I think ADN programs are seen as a way to alleviate the "nursing shortage", so I think they are going to be around as long as people believe there is a shortage. As long as people still want to get the degree, and no regulations are made to require the BSN, people will still sign up for these programs. If 50% of graduating ADN holders can gain employment, it's better than not having the degree, because than your chances of working as a nurse are 0%.

IMHO, I feel if an ADN nurse has worked for a few years in the profession, they are still going to be worth more to an employer than a fresh grad holding a BSN. Most nurses will admit, the experience working as a nurse teaches more than any college can.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:24 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,390,383 times
I will agree about working in healthcare is not for anyone who can't take being bullied. Nurses, Social workers, = bullies from H*ll. Like nothing I have ever seen, nothing about teamwork, or patient care.

This job is not for people who can't take it, and dish it out. If you don't have thick, elephant skin, don't get into this profession. This job will chew you up, and spit you out. It is physically demanding and emotionally draining. I used to work 3 days on, 4 off, and basically just laid in bed for 2 days, just de-stressing from the b#tches I worked with.

Thank god I don't do nursing any longer. I will be honest, I could not take the meanness of my co-workers. I still work in healthcare, nursing was my cachet to get in, and go from there.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,659,574 times
Quote:
Just because she has enough self esteem to call nursing for what it is, doesn't mean she would be abusive to her patients. I'm RIGHT there with her. I got into nursing to help people. You do NOT really get to help people. You're a slop slave. It IS a lot of mommy-B.S. and brainwashing. She hit it right on the head of the nail.

She was previously asking me, in other emails, what other health care positions I would suggest. I wouldn't recommend health care, for the most part, but there were a few niche suggestions I had for her.

You should have been in my nursing program. This woman is nothing in comparison to what these programs are pumping out these days. Some of the most ghetto, pathetic & nasty individuals I have ever seen in my life. They lied and cheated their way through whenever they could. Directors turned a blind eye. This is fairly common, as well.

I have had enough dealings with nurses and hospitals and can pretty quickly figure out who went into it because they have a calling for it, and who went into it because they thought it was a recession proof job.

And God help anyone who has to go into a hospital these days and doesn't have family to watch over things and speak up if needed.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I have had enough dealings with nurses and hospitals and can pretty quickly figure out who went into it because they have a calling for it, and who went into it because they thought it was a recession proof job.

And God help anyone who has to go into a hospital these days and doesn't have family to watch over things and speak up if needed.
Yes, God help them. I still appreciate a good nurse, but the overall "crappiness" of this field is driving them away. The morale is just so low. I've seen/heard things that are quite disturbing. To say that there are a lot of people in nursing that shouldn't be is an understatement.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:41 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,640,000 times
http://www.glasbergen.com/images/nurse6.gif (broken link)

Old 07-03-2011, 03:42 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,351,378 times
Default Don't be too sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Yeah. And that's complete foolishness on their part. I know that a lot of hospitals ONLY want RNs with bachelors degrees.
IMHO That's the hospitals loss. Experienced nurses do not grow on trees. They save lives and reduce complications and length of hospitalizations. They create a good rep for the facility too!

BSN vs ADN Years on the job are valuable beyond schooling because there is often very extensive specialized training done.

From what I've seen of the new grad BSN's lately are being taught that they need to delegate everything, so they never learn ANYTHING or value anyone! They are dangerous and lazy generally. They make the profession look bad .

If nurses would just bargain more our pay would climb. Find that most women are willing to take what they are offered and not what they are worth. It's a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment