Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe there are a lot of nursing jobs?
No 80 71.43%
Yes 32 28.57%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 04:38 PM

18 posts, read 35,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
What kind of wages were they offering? Many in Michigan were arguing about the so called shortage, but only willing to pay 14-16 bucks an hour. Then came the layoffs... Short staffed seems to be the new rage for hospitals.. Same number of patients and same revenue with fewer workers on the payroll... I think there's a little trickery going on
Minneapolis is a very competitive market. I can't say for sure the exact starting wage, but the ballpark would be based on experience and/or BSN/AA (difference of about .50). I estimate between $22.00 and $38.00/hr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 04:46 PM

29,855 posts, read 24,964,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
The community college near me has become really strict about who they let into the nursing program. They will only accept you if you have straight A's in all prerequisites and score high on the TEAS. They don't maintain a waitlist so if you can't ace anatomy 1 and 2, you can forget about getting into nursing in my area.

This community college does the same thing with other health professions as well. I know like 7% of everyone who applies for the Radiological technology program get accepted. You pretty much have to have straight A's to get into that program as well. They don't maintain a waitlist either.

For other health profession at the community college in my area, your GPA must be 3.5 and higher to get in. They have even made it tough to get into things like phlebotomy. If every university in the country were like this, then we would have fewer unemployed college grads I would think.

People need to stop attending for-profit schools. These have oversaturated the nursing and teaching job markets. You can be a total moron and get a degree from one of these schools and you may not even have to pass clinicals, which would also mean that you would be $80,000-$90,000 in debt with no job.
Bravo, I agree. In my program, I was on the lower 25% percentile who got accepted, and I had a 3.95 GPA and scored a 95% on the entry exam. Each was factored in 50/50. Lets just say, the students who I sat attended the program with were not dummies, far from it in fact. They accepted 160 students that year, and had over 3000 applicants. Very competitive. This is what happens when everyone tells young people to go into something because it pays well.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:23 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,170,150 times
I just received TWO reputation points from nurses who said they left the field and they're glad they did lol. Thanks for that! Don't know who it was, though.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:23 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,875,476 times
The nursing, "shortage" is artificially created by the media to stimulate demand for nursing school programs. Many for-profit schools pay newspapers to write those articles.

Seems to be working as planned seeing as how many people think there is a shortage and how many people are going to school to become a nurse.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:43 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,690,154 times
I have to admit I agree with nearly everything I am reading.
I think that the entire issue began in the early 80's when the aides were swept out of the hospitals. Someone decided that the nurse needed to come back to all patient care plus the life and death decisions and mountains of paperwork. That was the beginning of the compromise of care IMO. We still work in an antiquated world of "yes Doctor" I will bow and scrap for you.
I still and continue to believe that it will self correct. You just cannot fake this work. If you are not meant for it you will leave it. Politically the future will get worse. I say if you are coming to the profession do it as cheap as possible. Do a year as an aide in a medicare nursing home, see if it is right for you.
If you are in school right now do not believe your instructors. It will be harder than you ever thought.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:52 AM

Here is a little excerpt from a lady who was pursuing nursing as her second career, previously working in engineering. She was asking me about alternatives as she was immediately intelligent enough to see how nursing is via nursing school. Her reply hit the head of the nail! See below:

Thanks for the info. Those were some alternatives that I am looking for. I am a displaced chem engineering technologist from the plastics and metals industries, and I'd have never even tried nursing if I had known how much mommy-sh*t there is in it's curriculum. Holism. Spiritualism. Perpetual self-sacrifice and altruism. The built-in second-rate status of all that NANDA nursing diagnoses stuff. Gag!

I am interested in healing disease, and working and making money, not being Mommy and spiritual adviser and slop-cleaner. After working in engineering and manufacturing, nursing looks like a mommy job that I don't want. They want too many things done gratis, both the patients and the hospitals. (I about blew a gasket at that thread about what the private duty nurses to welfare mommies' kids were expected to do, like laundry and dishes and other maid service!!)

I have met the most boring women on face of the planet, in my classes and also the instructors. I don't know how men stand the nursing profession, but evidently they must be able to garner more respect instantly just from gender. If a woman is in nursing, she's expected to be self-sacrificing Mommy or she's not a good enough nurse. Heck, I never had kids just because I didn't want to be tied down to the Mommy chores all the time, lol.

Since my engineering career was lost to foreign competition, I get Trade Act money that pays totally for NS, books, uniforms, and fees. Plus I get a $60/day of school payment as a relocation expense because there was no NS available at my home base. So, this is not costing me much of my savings. I forfeit that if I quit or fail this NS program. With TAA. TRA, you get one training, and there's no transfer option.

If I were paying for it out of my pocket, I'd be gone, for certain. Squaw work is squaw work. And I hate the whole indoctrination to "think like a nurse." The way I see it, my business focus as RN is the high-tech of health care, not making a feminine doormat of myself. I think 3/4 of the problem with nurses and nursing instructors is that they only know a few things: Nursing, child rearing, and church. Narrow constraints.

Eff all dat, lol! I'd rather go back to risks of fire, explosion, pesticides and herbicides, risk of being squashed by a 33,000# iron or steel casting falling from an overhead crane, etc. Nice, normal INTERMITTENT and POTENTIAL hazards. Not a continually filthy hospital that is never properly cleaned and sanitized, and hostile work environment...

~ A

Old 07-02-2011, 05:56 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,690,154 times
Wow
Makes one take a second look at their career.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
I have to admit I agree with nearly everything I am reading.
I think that the entire issue began in the early 80's when the aides were swept out of the hospitals. Someone decided that the nurse needed to come back to all patient care plus the life and death decisions and mountains of paperwork. That was the beginning of the compromise of care IMO. We still work in an antiquated world of "yes Doctor" I will bow and scrap for you.
I still and continue to believe that it will self correct. You just cannot fake this work. If you are not meant for it you will leave it. Politically the future will get worse. I say if you are coming to the profession do it as cheap as possible. Do a year as an aide in a medicare nursing home, see if it is right for you.
If you are in school right now do not believe your instructors. It will be harder than you ever thought.
It wasn't meant for me. Nursing classes were easy and my patients loved me, but the drama and over corrupt environment was not acceptable to me and I wasn't willing to lower my standards for a lifetime. I quickly jumped back into corporate America, which isn't perfect, but a lot less stressful. I hope to use my nursing license to volunteer around the world or perhaps take a highly specialized per diem assignment on weekends, but I have too much self confidence to do it on a full-time basis.

I agree 100000% about the aide statement. Everyone who is STILL interested in nursing should first become a CNA or Nurse Tech and work as one for at least a year. Then, take the stress you had at that job and multiply it by about 10 and if you feel that's something you can do for a lifetime, pursue nursing.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Wow
Makes one take a second look at their career.
Heck, it made me take a 3rd and 4th look lol. This is coming from a highly intelligent female who was previously in the engineering field. It's great to see how different minds work. I laughed so hard when I read her reply because her words were so bold. No sugar coating or fluffing (which I hear/read ALL too much of) just straight to the point.

You very rarely see students as intelligent as her that have it figured out mid-nursing program. I couldn't argue with a single thing she said.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:26 PM

95 posts, read 390,332 times
I definitely do not think there is a nursing shortage in general. If there were, it wouldn't have taken me 10 months to find a job. Granted, I had less than a year of nursing experience, but still.....

I feel like the media perpetuates this myth, and it annoys me. When I told people I was looking for a job, I had several people who stated things like, "Really?" and "But in nursing, it shouldn't be that hard..."

You're right, BingCherry, nurses ARE lucky to land a job. I felt like after a while, I was simply unemployable because of the big gap in my (nursing) work experience.

To be honest, my last nursing job was the most stressful, overwhelming job I've ever had. It might have been the floor I was on, but many of the specialties I am interested in are hard to get into if you don't have experience in that area (or have connections with someone who works there....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment