Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 04:49 PM

305 posts, read 991,827 times

Advertisements

He doesnt want to be where he is and his bad attitude reflects on everyone. He has a supervisor that is always making excuses for him. What do the rest of the frustrated staff do? Any opinions? Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 05:45 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeen2008 View Post
He has a supervisor that is always making excuses for him.
Focus on this person and their values and goals.
What they want to see happen for the company and for themselves.

Quote:
What do the rest of the frustrated staff do?
Work to get your PITA boss promoted.
Make him the guy who gets the higher supervisors goals met.

With your PITA boss promoted (and transferred out of that office building or city) then there's room for you to move up.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:00 PM

924 posts, read 2,231,090 times
Upwards reviews, complaint to your supervisor's boss for one thing. Plus if there's another supervisor who can get the job done, rely on them for help. That's what happens in our company. Our own supervisor is an under-performer and always falls behind. So in the last little while my team mates and I have been asking the other to step in. It leads to less frustration and lowered expectations for our own super.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:03 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
I wouldn't do anything unless he is objectively bringing your work down on a regular basis.

However, I would say that most supervisors are pretty lousy and unfair.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:58 PM

305 posts, read 991,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I wouldn't do anything unless he is objectively bringing your work down on a regular basis.

However, I would say that most supervisors are pretty lousy and unfair.
Well he is their for a paycheck and nothing else. How does one curtail his horrible attitude and it is affecting everyone around him. It is frustrating for everyone.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:37 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,326,665 times
These kind of supervisors are dangerious...

Cause they will use their 'title' when it benefits them, they will take credit for others hard work...

Like when he goes to meetings, and meets with his 'higher ups'...if they're impressed with something...who do you think gets the credit?
If they're dismayed at something, who do you think will get the blame...

And if he/she comes under attack, his peers, those who gave him his 'supervisory' role, are more likely to support him, instead of those griping...cause after all, he/she's one of them...

And to attack him, is like attacking their decision to put him there...
Not an easy solution to this...cause they can easily put on another face, when it serves them to do so, and thereby make anyone elses claims seem 'personal'...

Old 05-29-2011, 07:02 AM

754 posts, read 1,923,010 times
Don't be the one to complain, as no one likes to be told the truth, ie "you have been paying a lazy jerk a good salary for x years" makes the company look bad. Just focus on what you can control and sooner or later, his conduct will be found out. Or, focus on getting a job in a different department.

I have a lazy supervisor I have a dotted line report into and he is worthless. Always acting eager then never following through, which has been noted by his superiors and yet they continue to pay him over 100K a year and do nothing about it. He is the joke of the company and I hate that he has anything to do with my department because I have to clean up his half started projects and messes all the time.

The sad part is that he has the knowledge to contribute something to the organization just, not the energy or direction. He probably needs to be micro managed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment