Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 6,536 times

Advertisements

I have been at my job for 2 years. I was promoted to 2nd shift manager, and the problem I as well as several other staff members have is with the supervisor/1st shift manager. She has worked for the company for 12 years. We basically have a swinging door as far as employees goes. Nobody stays because they cannot stand working with her. She sits in a car, kicks off her shoes and flips through magazines ALL DAY! Mind you the big boss see's her doing this. He and her are always talking while there is one other person doing everything. And she constantly complains about things that people do, micro-managing every last detail even though she has no idea what we go through.

So lately I have been getting several complaints. Employees asking me what they should do. They say that they would rather work second shift with me because I actually do things.

I am afraid to go to the big boss about it because I have a feeling nothing would happen. But what do you do when you cannot keep good employees because of the supervisor? We just had a great worker who was there leave (she was there 5 years) and another that was there for 3 years left for the same reason.

Is there an option, or is this on of those cases to just cut my losses and look for work elsewhere?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 08:47 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,397,757 times
Cut your losses. The big boss knows, and nothing is being done. people are leaving and nothing is being done. You complaining will result in, you guessed it, nothing being done.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:53 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,626,353 times
Cut your losses. If you are sure the boss already knows and does nothing, then you are just making trouble for yourself.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:20 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
Your boss knows and doesn't care. You either have to decide to not care or to find work someplace else.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 6,536 times
Thanks for the replies. I had a feeling that would be the answer. It's just too bad because I like my job, just cannot stand to be unable to help when employees come to me complaining. And I know what they are complaining about because I went through the same thing, and still do with her. Sad to see so many good people leave. Then the people that stay are people who could care less. Which is bad in the field I am in (residential care/mental health).

I guess I just thought once I was promoted to manager that I could make a difference, but it seems that is not the case.

Thank you all for your replies.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:35 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,124,894 times
If you move to a different company, you will be in a better position to help those employees. When you move to a new company, people will jump ship with you. If you have a LinkedIn profile, it's an easy way to stay in contact with former co-workers.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:39 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,447,098 times
I must be missing something. What do the first shift problems have to do with you? If the first shift employees are unhappy and leaving, how does that affect you?

One of the first things a manager should learn is not to interfere in another manager's territory. If the other manager or her employers have issues, dont make them yours.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:17 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
Why would you leave over this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment