Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 07:06 AM

613 posts, read 963,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
I have been advocating for unemployment compensation that bears true witness to our own (at-will employment) laws. You may have missed it.
Ya but your advocating on a website and your posts repeat the same the thing over and over. Why don't you take your cause to DC because obviously no one is joining your cause here. Go back and read all your posts, you say the same thing over and over about at will, etc., The topic of this thread is why so many people are unemployed. At will is not the topic. 15 million people are unemployed, women and children are living on the streets, (I witnessed this first hand yesterday in downtown Phx) and you continue with this at will BS. Go down to your local food bank and work for a day and I bet you come back with a different attitude in that your "at will" does not put food and a roof over homeless peoples heads. I am surpised that the moderator lets you continue to write the same thing over and over which is usually off topic.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:32 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,650,383 times
Look maybe your co worker ( I think it was your co worker) said it because she wanted to sound like she really isn't in a hurry to look for a job-or maybe she has other stresses right now not to look for a job-but I will bet she will start looking-maybe she wanted to sound as if it didn't really bother her-people always make hurts or failures or bumps in the road are no big deal to other people-

Old 11-21-2010, 08:06 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,539,353 times
This may be the wrong forum for this topic, but I have friends and family who are currently unemployed, and there seems to be a trend among those who do not have jobs, and were laid off...I don't say anything, because I don't feel like it is my place to comment on these issues...
1. They think that they are smarter than everyone else.
2. They are very blunt, and think that standing up for yourself is important, even about trivial issues.
3. They act entitled, and also would not think about working overtime just to get stuff done for the next day, they call in sick, for "mental health" days, and go out to lunch, and take long lunches.

Now, that is a common personality trait among 5 of my friends/family who are currently unemployed...I think that those tendencies, and attitudes are why they were laid off to begin with, and also why they can't find a job now. So...think about that....maybe if you were "ladi off" it is time to identify if there are reasons why you were laid off, and not the person in the desk next to you...

Old 11-21-2010, 08:39 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,071,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This may be the wrong forum for this topic, but I have friends and family who are currently unemployed, and there seems to be a trend among those who do not have jobs, and were laid off...I don't say anything, because I don't feel like it is my place to comment on these issues...
2. They are very blunt, and think that standing up for yourself is important, even about trivial issues.
3. They act entitled, and also would not think about working overtime just to get stuff done for the next day, they call in sick, for "mental health" days, and go out to lunch, and take long lunches.

Now, that is a common personality trait among 5 of my friends/family who are currently unemployed...I think that those tendencies, and attitudes are why they were laid off to begin with, and also why they can't find a job now. So...think about that....maybe if you were "ladi off" it is time to identify if there are reasons why you were laid off, and not the person in the desk next to you...
Ummm, for some, certainly not for most.

I worked OT all the time - came in early, never really took a lunch, worked late, and still managed to get my degree while doing all of that. I'll stand up for myself when necessary, but not for trivial matters.

You just have a lazy family. Don't project that on the rest of us.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:42 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,539,353 times
Hmm, maybe time for some self reflection, as I noted in my post...why were you laid off, and not the person next to you? If you are all that? I was fired once, and know why it was...it was not until I got over my pity party, and anger that I was able to identify the reason for my termination. So, take a personal inventory, you may find some things that you need to work on...

Old 11-21-2010, 09:30 AM

30,536 posts, read 52,247,581 times
Quote:
Hmm, maybe time for some self reflection, as I noted in my post...why were you laid off, and not the person next to you? If you are all that? I was fired once, and know why it was...it was not until I got over my pity party, and anger that I was able to identify the reason for my termination. So, take a personal inventory, you may find some things that you need to work on...
Big difference between getting FIRED and getting laid off... do you understand that distinction? Most people who were actually laid off did nothing wrong, aside from receiving a paycheck their employer couldn't afford to continue paying.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:44 AM

4,584 posts, read 12,409,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Ummm, for some, certainly not for most.

I worked OT all the time - came in early, never really took a lunch, worked late, and still managed to get my degree while doing all of that. I'll stand up for myself when necessary, but not for trivial matters.

You just have a lazy family. Don't project that on the rest of us.
Rep'd yah and agree.

I was laid off for lack of work...in other words my company tanked with the crash...I worked in the real estate industry as a title examiner my whole industry is gone...ummm I wasn't "Lazy" the famous catch phrase for all the unemployed by the employed, they always seem to "know someone".

Old 11-21-2010, 11:24 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,689,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
Ya but your advocating on a website and your posts repeat the same the thing over and over. Why don't you take your cause to DC because obviously no one is joining your cause here. Go back and read all your posts, you say the same thing over and over about at will, etc., The topic of this thread is why so many people are unemployed. At will is not the topic. 15 million people are unemployed, women and children are living on the streets, (I witnessed this first hand yesterday in downtown Phx) and you continue with this at will BS. Go down to your local food bank and work for a day and I bet you come back with a different attitude in that your "at will" does not put food and a roof over homeless peoples heads. I am surpised that the moderator lets you continue to write the same thing over and over which is usually off topic.
Good thing I am not trying to convince you of the phenomena of reefer madness.

However, since the tread topic is about so many people on unemployment; I am simply bringing up the point about unemployment not being any worse than welfare, as we currently know it.

Do you suggest I stop advocating for more market friendly public policy that conforms to our Ninth Amendment, a federal doctrine, and State at-will employments; and, including the concept of States rights in solving for their own general welfare and simply request the federal government pay the debts of those States providing for their general welfare?

Unemployment compensation is more cost effective than welfare; we could be lowering our tax burden by reducing welfare rolls in favor of unemployment compensation on the same at-will basis as employment relationships.

Do you not really care about any of those peripheral issues that affect peoples' perception of unemployment compensation recipients?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:28 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,689,907 times
Quote:

Some people could claim that the people still holding jobs are the ones who practice their "people" skills to butter up their bosses better; not because they are better employees.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:31 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,296,422 times
Quote:

nothing wrong with calling in sick for a mental health day as long as it's once or twice a year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment