Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 06:34 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,279,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
1. Find other jobsites besides the ones you listed

2. Do job related activities even on the weekends

3. Don't apply to crappy jobs

4. ignore what the media saying about the economy

5. Keep doing more of B
Jobsites in general are useless. Anyone seeking a job would be better off looking at the company websites of places where they want to work. At most, I would recommend Indeed.com. Plug in what you want and let it do the work.

I disagree with doing job-related activities on weekends. That is a great way to burn yourself out. 40 hours a week max, just like M-F, 9-5.

Also, you are missing an important point: Most of the jobs out there are crappy. Some people might think 35K a year is good. That wouldn't even pay my living expenses.

You're contradicting yourself. On one hand you're telling people to go ahead and apply, and now you're saying not to apply to crappy jobs.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:45 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,069,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Jobsites in general are useless. Anyone seeking a job would be better off looking at the company websites of places where they want to work. At most, I would recommend Indeed.com. Plug in what you want and let it do the work.

I disagree with doing job-related activities on weekends. That is a great way to burn yourself out. 40 hours a week max, just like M-F, 9-5.

Also, you are missing an important point: Most of the jobs out there are crappy. Some people might think 35K a year is good. That wouldn't even pay my living expenses.

You're contradicting yourself. On one hand you're telling people to go ahead and apply, and now you're saying not to apply to crappy jobs.
Wel $35,000 is not crappy to everyone and I thought you mean minimum wage jobs when you said crappy. And when you don't have a job you should do something job search related 7 days a week to increase your chances of finding a job. Why take off the weekend from job searching? The Weekends are for people who work during the week not people who are job seeking.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:15 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,037,511 times
Quote:
What else it if they are not looking for a job until 2011???
Although I think waiting 6 weeks to begin a job search is foolish, I can understand the whole idea of taking a breather especially if the job they were laid off from was stressful.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:28 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,069,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Although I think waiting 6 weeks to begin a job search is foolish, I can understand the whole idea of taking a breather especially if the job they were laid off from was stressful.
there is no breathers when you have no job.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:43 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,664,458 times
I was laid off last Wednesday the 10th. I've already updated my resume and monster.com profile, and filed with the placement agency provided by my previous employer. While I intend to actively seek employment, I don't expect to find many companies hiring at this time of the year (usually when their budgets have run out), but you never know.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:48 PM

580 posts, read 2,294,083 times
Quote:
A friend of mine was laid off last week which was the second week of November and most of her coworkers made this ridiculous statement

"I'm not going to start looking for a job until the beginning of the year"

So for the next 6 weeks they wll treat their unemployed status as a vacation?-lol Whatever jobs is available now and in December may not be available in January or February. So this is why so many people are on unemployment because of the ones who are not agressive in finding a job.

I'm not saying everyone but you know a large portion are like those people I mention above who plans to live off unemployment benefits and look for no jobs.

This makes absolutely no difference in the overall unemployment rate. All this does is make it easier for those people who are looking for work to get a job because there is less competition for what few jobs are available. Basically, you are trading one unemployed person for another.

I have yet to hear of one employer saying they are not getting enough applicants to fill whatever jobs they have available. Until this happens, the unemployment rate will never go down.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:22 PM

30,383 posts, read 51,996,897 times
I know you're just trying to start trouble, but no I haven't seen this overall attitude... I don't know many unemployed people right now, but those who are (myself included) aren't "taking a break" until 2011. Heck no! I need to find a job WAY before January, since that's when my apartment lease ends - and I'll be moving if I don't have a job by that date. I couldn't care less about the "holidays" either, since I don't celebrate Christmas, and Thanksgiving only takes up one night.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
there is no breathers when you have no job.
I think everyone has the right to make this decision themselves... who made you the unemployment police?

Old 11-14-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
I don't get it. I believe that if you see that the company is starting to slide then you should have another job lined up before you're laid-off. If you're collecting unemployment, it says that you weren't keeping up with your company because of laziness or you weren't considered a great candidate to another company.

I think when you've resorted to unemployment, it's a statement that anyone who takes you is accepting "just" an average person.

Is that wrong?
Yes, actually it is wrong. Maybe the above is true within certain job fields, but it doesn't apply to all employers/employees. I was a city worker, and the city's budget is random and unpredictable... you literally have NO idea when those pink slips are coming, and "lining up another job" can be even more difficult than predicting the local economy. I actually was job-searching long before my layoff (had a gut feeling), but many people who work in city/state government feel over-confident and secure. Sadly, even those jobs are no longer stable.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:51 PM

935 posts, read 2,412,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, actually it is wrong. Maybe the above is true within certain job fields, but it doesn't apply to all employers/employees. I was a city worker, and the city's budget is random and unpredictable... you literally have NO idea when those pink slips are coming, and "lining up another job" can be even more difficult than predicting the local economy. I actually was job-searching long before my layoff (had a gut feeling), but many people who work in city/state government feel over-confident and secure. Sadly, even those jobs are no longer stable.
Same here. I was doing some market research about new jobs because I wanted something more along the lines of my goals. However, NO ONE knew the layoffs were coming. In fact, the day before I was laid off the company actually scored a new client along with a new territory. The week before I was laid off I was outlining 53 new spots for potential installments for that client, so there was tons of work available. The client accepted 37 of them and we were moving swiftly onto the next stage. Everyone in the company thought we were doing very well until I was laid off. Even then, most of them didn't know I was laid off until I didn't return to work. My company was very, very good at keeping things silent.

So, I agree. It is wrong to assume that it's easy to tell when layoffs will happen. Some employers will do layoffs at anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment