Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2010, 09:58 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,296,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I definitely think there is a level of "moral hazard" involved. I do not buy "I've not been able to find a single job in 24 months". It may not be the job they want, but I believe they could find something. If you can survive on unemployment benefits and other means, why rush? Unemployment benefits are not free. You have to pay into it. Most employers treat you like crap anyway. They already raised the retirement age to 67.

It is time for the extension to end. At this rate, we are going to start hearing people say"I've been unemployed for 5 years and I cannot find a job". Some people may have to relocate and find another line of work. It sucks, but what is the alternative?

I agree, and no grown healthy man should ever be saying-"i couldn't find a job in 2 years. Unacceptable

Old 12-04-2010, 11:09 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,689,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I definitely think there is a level of "moral hazard" involved. I do not buy "I've not been able to find a single job in 24 months". It may not be the job they want, but I believe they could find something. If you can survive on unemployment benefits and other means, why rush? Unemployment benefits are not free. You have to pay into it. Most employers treat you like crap anyway. They already raised the retirement age to 67.

It is time for the extension to end. At this rate, we are going to start hearing people say"I've been unemployed for 5 years and I cannot find a job". Some people may have to relocate and find another line of work. It sucks, but what is the alternative?
In my opinion, it is not so much a matter of "moral hazard" resulting from not being proactive for just any job; but, one that simply involves a lack of money in money based markets.

Shouldn't it be up to the individual as to how to live their life and with what resources they are willing to command in the market for labor? There is no legal or moral basis to deny or disparage religious forms of poverty on an at-will basis, even if on a "generational" basis.

Unemployment benefits can be less expensive than both corporate welfare and welfare, as we currently know it.

Consider that if a person had recourse to unemployment compensation on the same at-will basis as employment relationships, there is no legal basis for a work ethic or work requirement. That individual should not need to find work, at all, in order to qualify for unemployment compensation; but, could instead go to school for as long as they want, or until a potential employer clamors for a relationship (that results in employment).

Old 12-05-2010, 12:38 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,501,463 times
I believe after 6 months of unemployment, it should be forced that the unemployed should have training or take some vo-tech classes so that they can find work. I know alot of unemployed want the same salary they had but that is not possible sometimes. Some people have been on unemployment for 2 years and have no training, no volunteer work, no nothing to show for being off that long.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
I believe after 6 months of unemployment, it should be forced that the unemployed should have training or take some vo-tech classes so that they can find work. I know alot of unemployed want the same salary they had but that is not possible sometimes. Some people have been on unemployment for 2 years and have no training, no volunteer work, no nothing to show for being off that long.
I was prepared to go lower but not much lower because I still wanted to stay in my APT so I knew if push came to shove that I would have had to accept a job paying $3000-$5000 lower and work my way back up

Old 12-05-2010, 12:53 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,501,463 times
TVSG and that's the way everyone should think. Get a job but not too low so that you can live in an apt. But unfortunately, so many people live over their means that they feel that they have to make a certain amount to make it. But they still aren't making it on unemployment benefits. I feel someone should go on unemployment, receive training or go on unemployment and find a part-time job and work from there.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
TVSG and that's the way everyone should think. Get a job but not too low so that you can live in an apt. But unfortunately, so many people live over their means that they feel that they have to make a certain amount to make it. But they still aren't making it on unemployment benefits. I feel someone should go on unemployment, receive training or go on unemployment and find a part-time job and work from there.

Some people are not willing to CUT back like getting rid of a car or phone.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:16 PM

580 posts, read 2,298,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Last time I checked, having a car and phone are essential for finding a job and getting to work.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
Last time I checked, having a car and phone are essential for finding a job and getting to work.
If you live in the city you have trains and buses. And I'm talking about having ONE phone instead of TWO

Old 12-05-2010, 01:27 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,495,439 times
Quote:
How will they get to the interview after they don't receive the call?

We CAN'T - so we cut back on other things like food. We don't all rent or live near public transportation. We're not all single. How dare some of us have a different life experience than you. C'mon TVSG, picture thousands of 50+++ year-olds walking along rural and suburban roads for miles before reaching the train or bus...it would look like AMC's new series The Walking Dead.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:33 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,689,907 times
Quote:
I cut back on my cell phone service every time I can't afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment