Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 01:15 AM

30,432 posts, read 52,068,476 times

Advertisements

I just saw an ad for a new show, which I thought a LOT of people here would find interesting... called "The Fairy Jobmother" on Lifetime, premiering October 28th. Looks like it's a woman who helps unemployed folks, by offering advice on interviews, resumes, and personal appearance. Might be interesting!

Check it out: The Fairy Jobmother - Official Site | myLifetime.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 06:13 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,383,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I just saw an ad for a new show, which I thought a LOT of people here would find interesting... called "The Fairy Jobmother" on Lifetime, premiering October 28th. Looks like it's a woman who helps unemployed folks, by offering advice on interviews, resumes, and personal appearance. Might be interesting!

Check it out: The Fairy Jobmother - Official Site | myLifetime.com
Sounds great but I no longer can afford TV, I have dish out here in the sticks it's not a lot but more than I can afford since I no longer get any benefits other than my "food stamps".

I'll check out the site, maybe they'll air the shows online?

Old 10-15-2010, 06:43 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,966,936 times
Oh yay. Yet another know-it-all. Because there isn't nearly enough resume-writing interview-prepping advice out there.

Now if she's able to make jobs magically appear for these people, then I'll watch.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:02 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,049,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Oh yay. Yet another know-it-all. Because there isn't nearly enough resume-writing interview-prepping advice out there.

Now if she's able to make jobs magically appear for these people, then I'll watch.
I was thinking the same thing. From what I've seen, it's going to be another 'bash the unemployed and make them look lazy' type of show.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:16 AM

Probably, but I'm still curious to see it... maybe she'll have some good tips? You never know!

Old 10-15-2010, 08:27 AM

219 posts, read 563,151 times
I'm curious as to who she will be visiting with. Given Lifetime's knack for delivering dramatic television, this "Jobmother" will probably be coaching the worst of the worst job-seekers. I'm talking bottom of the barrel, completely ignorant types. I'd be really surprised if she ends up coaching professional level people, since most of them should be a well-seasoned job hunter.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svatos View Post
I'm curious as to who she will be visiting with. Given Lifetime's knack for delivering dramatic television, this "Jobmother" will probably be coaching the worst of the worst job-seekers. I'm talking bottom of the barrel, completely ignorant types. I'd be really surprised if she ends up coaching professional level people, since most of them should be a well-seasoned job hunter.
In the preview, they looked like fairly normal young folks... probably recent college grads, who are completely new to the workforce. Wonder if they'll show any diversity, or just focus on one type of job-seeker?

Old 10-15-2010, 09:32 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,019,025 times
For some reason, I find this very depressing. I watch Intervention and Hoarders and Obsessed, but something about a show like this just depresses me. Maybe it's because the problem is going to be shifted to the job seeker, instead of focusing on the real source of the problem (corrupt politicians, corporate greed, capitalism, etc).

I think the day we have a TV show like this is a sad day, indeed. It's almost like institutionalizing unemployment. I guess I don't want to see unemployment turned into a TV show, unless the show would be to truthfully report on number of jobs outsourced, who has been responsible, the REAL number of unemployed, stories of those unemployed (which I realize could be depressing) and #1 - just how to fix this problem on a macro level. That is a show I would watch.

I've lived an entire life of "resume tips" ad nauseum. How many versions of "What color is your parachute?" can come out? The whole thing just makes me want to either throw up or cry or both.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:50 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,685,720 times
Oh God, not that bloody woman getting on American TV.
I saw most of the British shows she did last year here and she did tend to pick the bottom of the barrel type people and exploit them. Most of them did end up with jobs in the end but it was quite embarrassing to watch. She's horribly brash, know-it-all and has the most irritating British accent you'll ever have heard. Why do your TV networks love to have snooty or abrupt British people belittle the ignorant and incompetent (Anne Robinson, Simon Cowell, Supernanny etc)?

Old 10-15-2010, 09:58 AM

219 posts, read 563,151 times
She'll probably be coaching people like this woman.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment