Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 04:48 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,047,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I didn't mean to imply you weren't "worldly" or well-traveled, just meant I think more globally in terms of employment and outsourcing... I don't want to get into a huge debate, but the pacifist in me can't ignore how much these jobs have improved their lives. Since you've been to India, I assume you realize how horrible their living conditions can be.

Anyway, I honestly hadn't thought that deeply about the show! I understand how it could be hurtful to some Americans, but I watch comedies to be entertained... I'm sure lots of shows have offensive premises, and some will take it more personally than others.
Now, THIS, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 09:56 PM

30,559 posts, read 52,275,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Now, THIS, I believe.
Your point?? Last time I checked, television was created for our entertainment... I don't watch it to think deeply about political or social issues, I watch it to escape and enjoy myself for a few hours. I mean, really - it's a SITCOM folks.

For the record, I fully understand what the show (Outsourced) is about, and knew some people wouldn't like the premise. But like I said earlier, LOTS of shows have premises that could be offensive to some... get over it, and don't watch if it offends you. Period.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-01-2010 at 10:11 PM..

Old 11-01-2010, 11:02 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,022,326 times
I hate anything related to outsourcing, including the (*&^% TV show.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:08 AM

3,730 posts, read 4,658,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post

I think the day we have a TV show like this is a sad day, indeed. It's almost like institutionalizing unemployment. I guess I don't want to see unemployment turned into a TV show, unless the show would be to truthfully report on number of jobs outsourced, who has been responsible, the REAL number of unemployed, stories of those unemployed (which I realize could be depressing) and #1 - just how to fix this problem on a macro level. That is a show I would watch

I agree.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:21 AM

Thanks for taking this completely off-topic, everyone... might I remind you the thread is about The Fairy Jobmother?? Any more talk of Outsourced OR outsourcing, and I'll request this thread be locked.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:26 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,871,202 times
Several of you have commented about the annoying accent of this "jobmother" person. Her accent is anything but snooty or high class, quite the contrary. It is very working-class but I rather think that makes her a perfect choice to help working-class people find employment. Having only seen the first episode it is likely too early to make judgements about her abilities but in the case of this first couple she helped, she dumped a hard dose of reality on these two people who had clearly just given up. She also functions as an observer who can see and SAY things to these people that they won't accept from those closest to them. She can tell the husband that he's lazy and he accepts the criticism whereas he would be furious if it came from his wife. Aside from the practical and useful skills she imparts on these people, she is basically a wake-up call telling them and those to come, to get their butts up off the sofa and make job-searching a full-time job in itself.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Several of you have commented about the annoying accent of this "jobmother" person. Her accent is anything but snooty or high class, quite the contrary. It is very working-class but I rather think that makes her a perfect choice to help working-class people find employment.
Oh, I realize it's a working-class (and Northern UK, I believe?) accent, which is probably why it sounds fairly grating... I've been to England, and the "high-class" accents were quite pleasant in comparison. I also love a good London Cockney accent, LOL. Her voice aside, I agree it was interesting to watch this couple get a harsh wake-up call. I look forward to seeing the next episode!

Old 11-02-2010, 10:59 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,448,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Thanks for taking this completely off-topic, everyone... might I remind you the thread is about The Fairy Jobmother?? Any more talk of Outsourced OR outsourcing, and I'll request this thread be locked.
You're right ... the thread went off topic as some threads are wont to do. Sorry!

I'd like to thank all the people who gave me reps on my post and if you'd like to discuss this show further, I posted on this thread in the TV forum:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/tv/98...ll-2010-a.html

As for The Fairy Jobmother, I will be watching the next episode!

Old 11-11-2010, 08:25 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,878,422 times
I watched the show and really enjoyed it because the couple she helped on tonight's episode got jobs. I wonder if she just helps married people. I am considering applying to get on the show.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:31 AM

324 posts, read 948,989 times
I'll have to try and catch an episode sometime. Frankly I think they are going to focus on the people with the least skills or education and the most dire situations. Yes it is DEFINITELY GOOD to help someone that lacks computer skills, technical skills, and experience with job search and interviewing etiquette find work. For them getting another $9-$15 job is enough to get them treading water again. When I go to the job center in my area about half the people in there are grizzly old ex-factory workers that are dressed like bums and looked like they haven't shaved or bathed in days. They're also completely mystified by how computers work and they probably haven't looked for a job or prepared a resume in decades. These are the people I feel the worst for because at least my education and my experience give me a fighting chance, even if in reality they are going to have a better shot at getting the factory job I HAVE to apply for now that my benefits are running out.

What I don't like about the idea of this show is they ARE going to play to the extremes and they will be showing the worst case scenario people that make the rest of the unemployed look bad in away. Keep showing the guy that's sitting in a disgustingly filthy home playing video games in his boxers and drinking beer while his wife works a cashier job at Walmart and you enforce the public perception that the unemployed are LAZY and they DESERVE to be unemployed. By the end of the show the person with the snotty British accent will motivate the lazy slobs to get back to work with the "tough love" act and in the follow up segment they'll hug her and thank her for saving their families house and preventing little Timmy from living in the back of the rusty minivan with them.

This DOESN'T portrait the reality of what most of us are living though. Talk to the 45 year old woman who was an administrative assistant in a real estate agency and wrote and filled legal paperwork along with doing accounts payable, etc and now can't even find a receptionist job at minimum wage or a cashier job at McDonalds. Interview THOSE people that are losing their house and burning through their retirement savings because they haven't found work in over 2 years. Help them come up with a comprehensive interviewing strategy that GETS THEM A JOB. Hell, make arrangements with large businesses like Insurance Agencies and actually TAPE the interview and get the HR person's reaction. That would have just as much emotional punch as all this Extreme Makeover: Home Edition crap.

The problem is though that's just not as fun to watch as a British woman with an annoying accent screaming at some slob playing video games all day. Like I said, I think this show will do WORSE for us as it will enforce negative stereotypes as a means of making interesting TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment