Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 02:17 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,687,255 times

Advertisements

These days, I hear a lot of people complaining about their jobs. Normally, I would just say to them "if you don't like you job, go find a new one." But obviously, finding another job isn't as easy as it used to be. A lot of people are having to endure things that would normally cause them to quit. What have you had to put up with that, under any other circumstances, would've caused you to just quit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 06:15 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,728,211 times
I would've waited until I found another before quitting, even before the unemployment rate increased from 5% to 9.5%.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:07 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,442,704 times
Pretty much every day at my job consists of things that have caused me to leave other jobs in the past.

I am in I.T. and am a developer, so obviously I need access to certain servers/systems/tools in order to do my job. I have to beg and grovel and wait for up to 2 weeks sometimes to get it.

In many office cultures, if you were the last person to touch the code and you broke it, you fix it. Lately I have been having to fix a lot of other peoples' mistakes...stupid mistakes...and it's supremely irritating.

I have also been having to take on heavy work loads from a group that did not do what it was supposed to on a project. I was not part of that project, never was. But I ended up doing what they failed to do anyway. And staying late to do it while they went home. And they got plenty of kudos for a job well done. Yeah right.

One of the pieces of code I wrote was to validate the accuracy of a DB load that I have nothing to do with, am not involved in in any way shape or form. I had to write it in addition to my already crippling workload because the person who was assigned to write it claimed he did not have the time to do so. A year and a half later, I am still required to support it even though I am always the last person to find out about any problem with it. People make changes to the system that affect the accuracy of that report but do not tell me. I have escalated that issue to the CIO and back down and nothing has changed. So I'm still stuck with it and it really pisses me off.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:29 PM

4,289 posts, read 10,817,055 times
A couple months into my current job the owner chewed me out over a relatively minor issue. Some words were spoken, and I was steamed over it, and came very close to quitting that day.

If I hadnt spent 5 months or so unemployed beforehand, I would have quit. But i am glad that I didnt. Since then I have had no issues. Boss pretty much lets me do my thing and thats that.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:21 AM

92 posts, read 315,241 times
Mandatory overtime (10hr day) every single Sunday...especially when they wait until Thursday to tell us.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:23 PM

344 posts, read 607,635 times
Asking for toilet paper and paper towels (small retail business). Being talked down at for anything and everything. Sorry if this sounds like I'm being a snob but, I have a bachelor's degree and the experience to go with it but I'm treated like a piece of crap in both of my jobs that I have now, especially the previously mentioned one. I do what I am told, haven't done anything bad and it doesn't matter. I can say the sky is blue and this guy will say it is black. I am working at the retail business and in a grocery store because I have to (and it is still not enough) I don't have an attitude at these jobs either. I got to tell you I would have quit both a long time ago if things weren't so dire in this country right now. Thursday was a really bad day. I felt so low. It works on your mind and your spirit. I don't know what else to do. I feel like I'm trapped. I have sent our more resumes than I can count and nothing. I know there are a ton of other people in my position but it is still tough to be doing this day in and day out. Thanks for listening.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:46 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,173,783 times
I stay in my job because of how the economy is, for now.

I deal with my superior belittling me, making fun of me for being short, commenting about my weight, she refuses to turn on the a/c even in 90* weather, she talks down to me as much as she can in front of other people to try and make it seem like i am dumb, she yells at for doing my job, for doing things NOT the wya she likes them done ("my way" doesn't affect the work being done in any way, it's just a power thing for her). Also, getting more personal, when I had to have surgery and my doctor said a month out of work (it was our slowest time too) she was peeved saying I didn't REALLY need that much time off; when I had a miscarriage she said her prayers were answered that I would never have kids.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:55 PM

344 posts, read 607,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I stay in my job because of how the economy is, for now.

I deal with my superior belittling me, making fun of me for being short, commenting about my weight, she refuses to turn on the a/c even in 90* weather, she talks down to me as much as she can in front of other people to try and make it seem like i am dumb, she yells at for doing my job, for doing things NOT the wya she likes them done ("my way" doesn't affect the work being done in any way, it's just a power thing for her). Also, getting more personal, when I had to have surgery and my doctor said a month out of work (it was our slowest time too) she was peeved saying I didn't REALLY need that much time off; when I had a miscarriage she said her prayers were answered that I would never have kids.
Wow, I know one of the guys I work for is an a-- but what you describe is heinous! The quote about your miscarriage - how inhumane is she? And you're right about the power thing - that is what this guy gets off on too. He knows he can order me around because of the crappy economy. I got yelled at for asking for toilet paper for the bathroom. I mean, it isn't a luxury, it is a necessity. Nothing is ever good enough for him. I got in trouble for even minding own business yesterday while they had customers they were explaining their products to. No one else came in the store, everything was cleaned up, in order, etc.. I've been bringing novels with me because it is so dead most days and I got in trouble for reading, quietly in the corner. The people never even looked at me. So, if I can get in trouble for that..... Best of luck to you in finding a decent job

Old 08-23-2010, 07:38 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,320,680 times
Let's see. Working 60 hours in a non-air conditioned warehouse in the swamp lands of Louisiana last week while having some 40+ year old slacker co-worker sarcastically lecture me on how to properly label boxes. Yeah, I probably would have walked out on day one, especially since working in a warehouse is not in my current list of job responsibilities (I was being nice and volunteering to help on another project for my company, for which I will likely receive no credit).

Old 08-23-2010, 09:37 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,320,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie2008 View Post
Asking for toilet paper and paper towels (small retail business). Being talked down at for anything and everything. Sorry if this sounds like I'm being a snob but, I have a bachelor's degree and the experience to go with it but I'm treated like a piece of crap in both of my jobs that I have now, especially the previously mentioned one. I do what I am told, haven't done anything bad and it doesn't matter. I can say the sky is blue and this guy will say it is black. I am working at the retail business and in a grocery store because I have to (and it is still not enough) I don't have an attitude at these jobs either. I got to tell you I would have quit both a long time ago if things weren't so dire in this country right now. Thursday was a really bad day. I felt so low. It works on your mind and your spirit. I don't know what else to do. I feel like I'm trapped. I have sent our more resumes than I can count and nothing. I know there are a ton of other people in my position but it is still tough to be doing this day in and day out. Thanks for listening.
My opinion is that retail and the food&bev industry are the absolute WORST industries to work in. For one, no matter how you cut it, labor is a dime a dozen. Turnover can be extremely high at a larger retail store or fast food chain with very little effect on its profit margins (people need clothes, gadgets, accessories and cheap food no matter what, after all). With that being the case, managers hardly need to be managerial, and instead, can be complete a**holes while you either quit or deal with it. There will always be some pimply faced high schooler who will take your job for beer/entertainment money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment