Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:32 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,058,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
My opinion is that retail and the food&bev industry are the absolute WORST industries to work in. For one, no matter how you cut it, labor is a dime a dozen. Turnover can be extremely high at a larger retail store or fast food chain with very little effect on its profit margins (people need clothes, gadgets, accessories and cheap food no matter what, after all). With that being the case, managers hardly need to be managerial, and instead, can be complete a**holes while you either quit or deal with it. There will always be some pimply faced high schooler who will take your job for beer/entertainment money.
...And then they'll quit when they see the light/find something better. The Circle of Life continues....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 07:32 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,939,162 times
When you start to have dreams of punching out your boss, it's time to look for another job. And don't act it out, either.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:52 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,005,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
A couple months into my current job the owner chewed me out over a relatively minor issue. Some words were spoken, and I was steamed over it, and came very close to quitting that day.

If I hadnt spent 5 months or so unemployed beforehand, I would have quit. But i am glad that I didnt. Since then I have had no issues. Boss pretty much lets me do my thing and thats that.
Yeah. Prior unemployment will make one stick to a current job like glue.
Sure teaches one a lesson - a hard learned one. Take a job, ANY job, and work it like all the eyes of the world are watching. Be grateful for that job.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:31 PM

348 posts, read 847,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I stay in my job because of how the economy is, for now.

I deal with my superior belittling me, making fun of me for being short, commenting about my weight, she refuses to turn on the a/c even in 90* weather, she talks down to me as much as she can in front of other people to try and make it seem like i am dumb, she yells at for doing my job, for doing things NOT the wya she likes them done ("my way" doesn't affect the work being done in any way, it's just a power thing for her). Also, getting more personal, when I had to have surgery and my doctor said a month out of work (it was our slowest time too) she was peeved saying I didn't REALLY need that much time off; when I had a miscarriage she said her prayers were answered that I would never have kids.
So sorry you have to work in this environment. Maybe you could start a journal and record every comment that is inappropriate that is said by this person. It sounds like verbal and emotional abuse to me. Depending on your state laws you could talk to a lawyer and find out if you could sue her for emotional distress and a hostile work environment, or something like that.

A similar situation happened here in my town except it was a male boss towards a female employee and the courts awarded her $32K. Right after that he closed up his business and moved out of state.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:51 PM

49 posts, read 252,351 times
I've been in my profession for 22 years. I am well educated and a seasoned professional. About two months ago, I got called into my superior's office and had to listen to a 10 minute lecture about a mistake that co-worker made on a file. Since I was the last to touch the file and since my boss determined that I should have caught it and corrected it, a threat was made to "write me up" if this ever happened again. I should have caught it, true but the mistake was so minor that ALL of the other organizations I have worked for wouldn't have given a rip about the issue. It didn't affect the outcome in the least.

I have NEVER in my life been "written up" (or even be threatened to be written up). I know I had a look on my face like I had just been hit in the face with a sack of hammers. In fact, I didn't even know how to respond. I think I just said, "Okay" and stumbled back to my desk. After I gathered my self, it really began to work on me and I comtemplated quitting for about 5 seconds and then, like another poster said, I remembered the 4 1/2 months I spent unemployed and figured I would just let it slide............No troubles since then but it really chapped my arse!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment