Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 03:10 PM

80 posts, read 251,353 times

Advertisements

I saw the handwriting on the wall a long time ago. So I went back to college full-time in September of 2007, graduated in December 2008. When I was in classes, I probably put in about 80 hours a week in class or studying. I lived with relatives, got a merit-based scholarship.

The problem is that this created a "gap in employment" -- and I've been told this by recruiters and staffing agents, who tell me that I should put "something" down during that time.

I did do some contract work -- editing, report writing, transcription, etc. -- but I worked for myself, and I didn't work too many hours. My coursework was too demanding.

It's a catch-22 ... went back to college to retrain, as I'd heard advised ... and now it's coming back to haunt me. Any advice on how to handle this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 03:27 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,133,381 times
Here is an uninspiring video:
YouTube - Getting Fired

Here is an inspiring video:

YouTube - Work with Someone on Your Resume

Gap in employment:

YouTube - Q&A: Gap in Employment

Secondly: Take advantage of your school's career site, and employers who want to hire your school's graduates. Many employers want to hire you. They purposely advertise only with your school. Go to your Job fairs.

If you did online, many of this will be impractical to take advantage of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTheTemp View Post
I saw the handwriting on the wall a long time ago. So I went back to college full-time in September of 2007, graduated in December 2008. When I was in classes, I probably put in about 80 hours a week in class or studying. I lived with relatives, got a merit-based scholarship.

The problem is that this created a "gap in employment" -- and I've been told this by recruiters and staffing agents, who tell me that I should put "something" down during that time.

I did do some contract work -- editing, report writing, transcription, etc. -- but I worked for myself, and I didn't work too many hours. My coursework was too demanding.

It's a catch-22 ... went back to college to retrain, as I'd heard advised ... and now it's coming back to haunt me. Any advice on how to handle this?

Old 04-26-2009, 03:28 PM

173 posts, read 968,552 times
College is a full-time JOB!
Even, if you did some side or part-time work is that actually relevant for the position's you are currently seeking?
Now, if you are a fresh undergrad with no resume, then those jobs become paramount.
Anyone "worthwhile" would not even consider those to be gaps, actually they should applaud you for getting your degree or an additional one.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:35 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,090,997 times
Gaps do not doom your resume.
People go back to school all the time. Employers just have their pick now because of the recession.

You were doing something while at college.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:00 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,133,381 times
Hi Temp; I like this woman! so check out this link. It may be helpful! ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJgZU...eature=channel

Quote:

Old 04-26-2009, 06:05 PM

267 posts, read 1,124,613 times
Quote:

Any advice on how to handle this?
You handle it with the content of both your resume and cover letter.

The "something' that you need to "put down" is both the contracting work and the additional education.

If you are using a chronological resume, I would do something like this:

September 2007 - December 2008
Freelance basketweaver for ABC, XYZ and PDQ corporations while copleting coursework for BS in Basketweaving (or Advanced basketweaver Certification) at Q University.

And I would mention in my cover letter that "In December 2008 I completed additional blah-blah education."

Old 04-26-2009, 06:09 PM

80 posts, read 251,353 times
All very good advice -- and I liked the idea of incorporating that into my "experience" area (which I have not done, thus far). A lot of the "work" that I did in the legal area was volunteer/training work. Now, I didn't get paid for it, but it was still part of the program, yes? :/

Old 04-26-2009, 06:12 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,913,600 times
functional resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment