Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,746 times

Advertisements

My husband just received a job offer to Mequon in a business setting. We are looking to buy our first house in the next year and then start a family, we are 25. We currently rent in Milwaukee and like it, but feel like it's time for change. My husband doesn't know if we should move to Mequon or move to a city closer to it. I would like to keep my full time job in Milwaukee, and am ok with a commute from Mequon. My biggest question is, will we fit in, in Mequon, or are there younger communities 10-15 min away that we would feel more relate-able to. My biggest fear is moving to Mequon and feeling like we are the only young couple, as I noticed the average age is 40s and around 100,000 average family income. I think the city is cute and I heard there are really nice trails/parks and the private schools look great. So if anyone has any comments for us, sure would appreciate it! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 09:45 PM

545 posts, read 1,485,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missridge View Post
My husband just received a job offer to Mequon in a business setting. We are looking to buy our first house in the next year and then start a family, we are 25. We currently rent in Milwaukee and like it, but feel like it's time for change. My husband doesn't know if we should move to Mequon or move to a city closer to it. I would like to keep my full time job in Milwaukee, and am ok with a commute from Mequon. My biggest question is, will we fit in, in Mequon, or are there younger communities 10-15 min away that we would feel more relate-able to. My biggest fear is moving to Mequon and feeling like we are the only young couple, as I noticed the average age is 40s and around 100,000 average family income. I think the city is cute and I heard there are really nice trails/parks and the private schools look great. So if anyone has any comments for us, sure would appreciate it! Thanks!
I grew up in Mequon and Thiensville, so I know the area well. In my opinion, being younger in Mequon is not a problem. You'll probably be one of the younger ones, but there are plenty of 30 somethings around. What may be an issue for you is finding affordable housing. Prices have come down recently because of the economy, but it's still the most expensive city in Ozaukee County. There are affordable parts of town: basically anything not on the east side (west of 57, north of Thiensville, south of Mequon Rd.). As you may have noticed, most of the action Mequon has to offer is in the Mequon / Port Washington Rd. corridor by the freeway. You'd be trekking over there all the time for shopping, restaurants, etc. It's a nice town with great schools, but not much bang for the buck to be found.

In my opinion, Cedarburg may be a better fit for you. It has a great walkable main street with lots of shops, restaurants, cafes, etc. There are both older houses and newer houses. Plenty of parks in town. It's cheaper than Mequon and only about 10 minutes away and there are definitely more younger couples there. Cedarburg school district is good as well. Not many downsides there. It's where I'd live if I were looking in that area.

You might want to check out Grafton as well. I personally don't like it as much as Cedarburg, but it has been going through some changes for the better in the last few years. Like Mequon, most of the action is out by the freeway on Hwy 60 and I-43, but there are some good restaurants in the downtown area like the Paramount and Milwaukee Ale House. Prices are similar to Cedarburg - maybe just a bit less. Most of the housing there is typical suburban - not much old stuff. There are also newer subdivisions on the north and east sides of town.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. Good luck!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:21 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,316,526 times
I pretty much agree with Brian. If you live in Mequon, you'll be among the younger residents, but if you stay long enough, you'll eventually fall into the norm. I would be more concerned about affordability, lifestyle preferences, and stuff like that.

If you want more of an urbanized core, the Thiensville area would probably suit you better, and housing in Thiensville is more affordable, too. Cedarburg is also a good pick (a nice walkable downtown, lots of trails, etc.), but is a bit expensive (you don't state how much you want to pay for housing).

Grafton, as Brian mentions, is a good, affordable choice, and downtown Grafton has its attractions (though it's not terribly vibrant). The residents in Grafton tend to be youngish overall.

Germantown is another affordable option. There's no real "walkable" center, but the community is solidly middle class.

If you want more of an East-Side-style community, and if you can afford it, consider Whitefish Bay. It's about 7-8 miles to Mequon, but has a pleasant walkable center and is adjacent to the Lake. It's expensive, though.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 5,746 times
Default Mequon...cont...

Thank you for your quick reply...so we are looking at housing between 170,000-200,000. I'd probably also want a Pick n save or any grocery store relatively close by, and a target if possible. 10-15 min away maybe. Thanks for letting me know that we won't feel completely out of the loop in we move up there. I used to have an internship in Cedarburg and I enjoyed the city, I didn't even realize it was a younger community,so that's good to know. Part of me wants to live in a older subdivision, something we could afford, with sidewalks?? I'm pretty sure we are looking for bigger yards, and that's important to us, I'm leaning away from living in any city, looking for more of a private lot that I can leave my blinds open during the day without feeling like I'm going to get robbed or looked in on. I suppose Milwaukee has left that effect on me But seriously, we're looking at 1/2 acre lot probably, that would be right outside the city limits. I did see that Mequon had a city pool, movie theater, possibly bowling alley? Oh yeah, and is there a work out facility in Mequon? I'd want to live close to a town where we could drive there for a few hours and enjoy those type of ammenities, if you want to call them that. What other fun things are there to do in the area, that you could recommend for a friday/saturday night? Either family related or just for a fun night out....for those of you who have lived in Mequon or Cedarburg or any of the surronding towns, I'd really appreciate any fun or "must see" type of restaurants or things to do. Those are all the type of things that make a town special to me. Any fun runs, groups of people, etc that I should really check around for? Thanks again!!! Your opinions are really helping me shape my decision!

Old 05-11-2010, 10:14 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,727 times
The median home price in Mequon is $379,000 according to Zillow.com. I don't think $170-200,000 is going to cut it. You may want to widen your search area. Mequon is not a starter home type of community. It is one of the more affluent communities in the state. Maybe Port Washington or Grafton will have something in your price range.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:15 PM

545 posts, read 1,485,583 times
Unfortunately, Allan is right. You'll be very hard pressed to find anything in Mequon in that price range. You should be in the ballpark of being able to get into a ranch in Thiensville at that price though. Most offer decent back yards and with it being smack in the middle of Mequon, everything Mequon has to offer is close by. Thiensville does have relatively high property taxes though because there's not a whole lot of industrial and retail base. You should be able to find something in Grafton too. Port Washington and Saukville are a bit further out, but are very affordable for Ozaukee County. I would also look at the Town of Cedarburg and Town of Grafton. Both have lower property taxes and more affordable housing than their City counterparts, but may be more rural than what you're looking for. Germantown may be the best option for you. I know someone who got into a ranch out there for ~200 and he has a large yard and is close to the County Line Rd / Hwy 45 shopping area.

Again, hope this helps. Let us know if you narrow down a specific area and we can tell you more about the other things you're looking for. We're here to help!

Last edited by brian571; 05-11-2010 at 07:25 PM..

Old 05-13-2010, 10:50 PM

5 posts, read 11,473 times
That range in Mequon will get you rent on an apartment. Unfortunately, you might want to look in Menonomonee Falls or Germantown.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,503 times
Port Washington is wonderful, family oriented, great schools. Close enough to Target (Grafton on HWY 60 and 43), Walmart in Saukville, as well as Pick N Save in Grafton. The lake offers fantastic and close getaway too. Prices are much better than Mequon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin