Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:48 AM

6 posts, read 6,922 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My wife and I would very much like to move to Wisconsin. She grew up in Whitehall and we currently reside down in New Mexico. We have 2 girls (ages 6 and 4) with another baby on the way (due In december/january). My questions are, which town/city would best suit our family? We intend to buy a house in the not-so-distant-future, too. She works as a manager in hospitality, Hilton specifically (and its brother/sister companies) so a hilton or hampton or homewood suites, any company like that, would be preferred.
Thanks for the help, and keep up the good work, these forums are a very interesting read
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 11:54 AM

5,027 posts, read 7,481,258 times
It sounds like your wife will transfer her job within Hilton.. correct?
Maybe start your search with what facilities she can transfer to in Wisconsin?

Will you need work?
If so, what field?

Old 05-23-2013, 12:03 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,050,320 times
i second what cfbs posted, there could be many options for places to live in, but the work aspect should be covered first. One thing to perhaps look into for your wife, is if any of the Hilton group are expanding or building new in Wi. That may give some openings for her to transfer to right off the bat, instead of hoping an existing hotel in the chain has a need for help.

Once the jobs are taken care of, it's easier for us to recommend some communities to live in, schools that may be ideal for your needs, etc.

I'd say this, i'd try not to actually move in Dec/Jan. That can be in the brunt of winter, let alone with a baby due at the same time (we were back home in Madison in Dec for our grandson's birth, and got to enjoy for old times sake the 20" snowstorm at the same time lol). If your move is made there, being settled before the birth and the holidays will take a load off your shoulders.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:10 PM

There are plenty of Hilton related hotels in the state, i believe. Typically larger cities though I imagine. I agree with your idea though, if there are any new ones about to come up, that might fit perfectly. We lived in Montana for a few years so we are 'weathered' in that area, with a newborn though it would add some more problems, you're right.
As far as my occupation I am currently not authorized to work in the U.S. until my Visa paperwork goes through (bloody foreigners lol).
In which city/town would you guys hope there was a hilton, that would be good for a young family dead-set on laying its roots?
Thanks for the help

Old 05-23-2013, 01:21 PM

5,027 posts, read 7,481,258 times
Are you looking for urban or rural areas?
Does your wife still have family in Whitehall?

I just looked at their locations and they're all over the state.

It really depends on what kind of lifestyle you're looking for.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:44 PM

No family in Whitehall anymore, but in Brooklyn, WI instead. I think a more urban backdrop would serve us best. We did the small town thing in Montana and again in Texas, now we moved on to a big city in New Mexico and I like the amenities that are available now. A good hospital that isn't upwards of 45 minutes away is a selling point too lol. Ultimately id like my own land further down the line, but like, 5 year plan i'd say a house purchase for sure. We understand we will be renting upon immediate arrival anyway and we are ok with that

Nightlife and stuff like that doesn't really appeal to us. We are not against it however, just won't get involved ourselves. Our current town, Las Cruces, NM is made up of retirees and students and, In my opinion, it is a perfect balance!

Old 05-23-2013, 03:00 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,050,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPatUK View Post
No family in Whitehall anymore, but in Brooklyn, WI instead. I think a more urban backdrop would serve us best. We did the small town thing in Montana and again in Texas, now we moved on to a big city in New Mexico and I like the amenities that are available now. A good hospital that isn't upwards of 45 minutes away is a selling point too lol. Ultimately id like my own land further down the line, but like, 5 year plan i'd say a house purchase for sure. We understand we will be renting upon immediate arrival anyway and we are ok with that

Nightlife and stuff like that doesn't really appeal to us. We are not against it however, just won't get involved ourselves. Our current town, Las Cruces, NM is made up of retirees and students and, In my opinion, it is a perfect balance!

Sounds like the Madison area could be one of the first options to check into then

Old 05-23-2013, 03:54 PM

What are your opinions on Wausau? I've been looking at it and the surrounding area and it seems lovely? Plus a hotel chain that my wife can stay involved with If there was soccer in the local area then i think we'd have a winner?? lol

Old 05-24-2013, 09:29 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,421,692 times
In addition to the bigger metros like Milwaukee, Madison, Green Bay, etc., Wisconsin has many touristy towns of various shapes and sizes scattered all over the place. I'm not sure what the Hilton presence is like in these areas, but you may find something in an area like Lake Geneva, Sheboygan, Eagle River, Spooner, etc. Coming from Las Cruces, Lake Geneva may be a decent fit for you, although there is no major university located there.

Also, remember that if you plan to purchase a home down the road, WI property taxes are brutal, probably ~3x what you'd find in much of NM. Make sure your wife gets a good COL increase!

Old 05-26-2013, 02:46 PM

I'd be a first time home buyer, how would that effect stuff like property tax? if at all. Also, how much should i brace myself for annually in property taxes in WI?
thanks guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin