Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 10:41 AM

8 posts, read 14,166 times

Advertisements

After spending most of my life on the west coast and suddenly finding myself in Indiana, I am realizing it is not a good fit for me. I don't wish to return to California because of the high cost of living and poor economy.

I have been researching Wisconsin as a place to settle down. I do long for a northern location, since I miss growing up in Oregon, but like California, Oregon too has a poor economy and the cost of living is high there too.

My wife and I (she is a from England) are kind, eclectic, nature and animal lovers, pet owners (1 dog & 1 cat), and we like the cold!!! We need a town with jobs. I've always worked in manufacturing trades and my wife is in healthcare. Is Richland Center a place that will accept us? We are not particularly religious or conservative. We don't hunt or fish and we aren't heavily into sports (although I have always rooted for Green Bay, even when I lived in California).

We have no children so schooling isn't a concern for us.

We will be renting at first, with hopes of buying soon. Are there pet friendly places to rent?

Is it really safe there?...there does seem to be a lot of sex offenders (the only drawback) according to City Data.

We would appreciate any helpful feedback Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 01:47 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times
A little off topic but - Are you sure OR is that expensive?

Lived in WI for 48 yrs and now live in Portland OR area.
Frankly, aside from housing costing more than rural WI, I don't think everything else is that much different.

We have never lived in RC but we visited friends in RC many times over the years. They left before their kids were too old because they did NOT want them going to Middle/High school there for various reasons. My buddy did like that he could belong to the RC Country Club for a pittance. He always laughed about that. It was cheap but I think wages there are low too.

My impression was the town was small, insular and boring. I did like the deer and turkey hunting in the area and it is quite hilly and beautiful country.

Good luck.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:40 PM

738 posts, read 999,736 times
Before my DH and I purchased our home in central WI, we had actually put in an offer on a home in RC. Thankfully, it didn't work out due to severe flooding...phew!

From what I saw, RC is more conservative than liberal. Unless you have a specialty, jobs are restricted to agricultural, mfg., retail and fast food. Not much cultural diversity going on there either, but lots of churches and religious organizations to choose from. Recreational opportunities in the immediate area are mostly limited to hiking, fishing and hunting. If you're looking for culture, Madison would be your best bet at 1 1/4 hours drive east (but probably 2 hrs. in the winter). Shopping in the city is pretty much Wal-Mart and a few other little stores. Again, your best bet would be Madison.

The rolling hills and countryside are spectacular (if that's your 'thing'). The people there are friendly enough, but just know that you'll always be considered an outsider until you've lived there for quite a while...maybe 10+ yrs. And even then, everyone will know you and your business (because they know each other), even though you will probably not think they do.

I've lived in various parts of Wisconsin on and off since childhood and although rural living suits me just fine, not everyone is particularly adapted to that lifestyle. May be something to think about.

RVcook

Old 09-27-2013, 08:06 AM

@RVcook Mostly we want to live somewhere where people are polite and not shoving whatever they're selling down our throats. We don't need to fit in, since we generally just keep to ourselves. The biggest problem I see is being denied employment because I'm not from there (I'm currently working in Manufacturing). Our idea of a good time is walking our dog at a park and rode trips. We don't dine out much so fresh food at the market is more important than what the restaurants are serving.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:38 AM

738 posts, read 999,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentonFisher View Post
@RVcook Mostly we want to live somewhere where people are polite and not shoving whatever they're selling down our throats. We don't need to fit in, since we generally just keep to ourselves. The biggest problem I see is being denied employment because I'm not from there (I'm currently working in Manufacturing). Our idea of a good time is walking our dog at a park and rode trips. We don't dine out much so fresh food at the market is more important than what the restaurants are serving.
Employment may be an issue. But if you possess quality skills in the manufacturing field, you might be OK. The healthcare field in Wisconsin is ALWAYS looking for quality people. Wages are average to lower in this area. But rentals could cost you $700-1000 for a nicer place. One thing you should focus on is how your heating is supplied. Winter heating bills can really add up, even for smaller places so you may want to double check that.

I'm with you on the restaurants 100% . And you would be living in an area that abounds with 'organic' food opportunities (home of Organic Valley), as well as farmers markets in the summer and fall. I just wanted to emphasize that this really is a RURAL town...not everyone understands what that means when you relocate to Wisconsin. As I said, the people are friendly enough (nobody was giving us the "stink-eye" when we visited last time...lol), but small town living does take some getting used to. 'Fitting in' is a relative term. DH and I tend to keep to ourselves and appreciate our neighbors tending to do the same. But being a bit older, we have no need to know anything more than can be conveyed by a friendly country wave. Works for us.

You also asked about this being a safe area. As Wisconsin cities go, I'd have to say yes. Unfortunately, Wisconsin has more than its share of sex offenders...sigh..., but violent crime is pretty low.

HTH!

RVcook

Old 09-28-2013, 11:29 AM

@RVcook Thanks, your information really helps!

I think the best thing for us to do, would be to visit and get my resume out there. I feel we (my wife and I) shouldn't count out other areas, because like you said employment may be an issue. We're considering some larger areas such as Sauk City and Baraboo because they seem like nice towns with employment opportunities.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:50 PM

361 posts, read 861,911 times
I think Richland Center and Sauk City may be challenging to find a manufacturing job but Sauk City would get you within an easy driving distance to Madison, for jobs, but you could then return home to the smaller/quieter community.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,307 times
Kenton-

Richland Center is a unique place-you are on the beam with your intuition.

Rockwell Automation is there, and others doing serious machine work; see the Chamber's Manufacturing list. If you are a machine loader, there are lots of things on CL-go to Madison CL, JOBS, then enter Baraboo or Dodgeville or xyz.

The coldest place in the state is a little south of RC, fwiw. Another useful search term is Driftless Region, and Ocooch Mountains. Driving the Great River Road is comparable to doing Big Sur. Unlimited organic food, caves owned by crazy people, ginseng profiteers, Brewer Science Library, great Ham radio club, preppers, Amish, and , if you must, the Madison freak show is always there, a scant 1+ away-- if your desperate for a dose of dosas, or this week's dictated political correctness.

Your wife will want to know about Mineral Point-an English(Cornish) enclave. Several good companies there. Some great oddball inventors too. 1/3 of the size of RC, but if rock buildings are important to you..........

Asking if a town will accept you is a dumb ass question. Grow up. City or rural, humans like authentic, committed people. You are obviously not into a corporate career, so, pick a place you love and flaunt what you have. Reshape the environment around yourself.

Be Calm

Old 07-30-2014, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,713 times
Default ready to come back to small town america

my wife and I are looking at a home in RC she travels for work im retired I love to farm fish and hunt Im a bee keeper and would love to live in the country again We are both very conservative and think RC would be a great place to spend our later years looking forward to calling RC home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin