Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2007, 04:56 PM

10 posts, read 46,273 times

Advertisements

I have obtained working from home in SE Wisconsin and I was wondering if you could give me some feedback on the aforementioned areas. Looking at the stats, it looks like both have great schools. Mequon's real estate looks to be a bit more affordable, but I've seen a lot of McMansions and I don't want to be living out of my league. Also, I have two kids, 15 and 12, and I was wondering if there is a drug problem in Mequon, judging with how much money there is.

Whitefish Bay looks more middle class than Mequon and seems to have more of a small-town feel. However, the taxes are higher and the homes are more expensive, not to mention older.

So, what are your opinions on both of these areas? All feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 08:52 AM

170 posts, read 581,685 times
I can't say too much for Mequon schools but I know someone that lives in Whitefish Bay and she told me(when we were discussing our family moving out of Brown Deer) that she would recommend Germantown, Brookfield or Glendale for good school district and she is a teacher in WhitefishBay and her daughter goes to a specialty school in Milwaukee. So..........that is what I know. Also, as far as the drugs, yep, there is money in these areas and IMO, where there is money, it is easy to get drugs and you probably won't find any stats on drug abuse in these communities because everything is hush hush. That is JMO, though. Good luck to you!

Old 09-24-2007, 11:31 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML09 View Post
I have obtained working from home in SE Wisconsin and I was wondering if you could give me some feedback on the aforementioned areas. Looking at the stats, it looks like both have great schools. Mequon's real estate looks to be a bit more affordable, but I've seen a lot of McMansions and I don't want to be living out of my league. Also, I have two kids, 15 and 12, and I was wondering if there is a drug problem in Mequon, judging with how much money there is.

Whitefish Bay looks more middle class than Mequon and seems to have more of a small-town feel. However, the taxes are higher and the homes are more expensive, not to mention older.

So, what are your opinions on both of these areas? All feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt
I personally prefer Whitefish Bay (male in early 30s with 2 young kids).

Mequon is a much geographically bigger, spread out suburb. It is definitely a more suburban, even rural, feeling community than WFB. WFB on the other hand is a really upscale suburb but is closely bordered to Milwaukee/Shorewood, and thus still feels fairly urban.

Both are very upscale.

Houses are going to be very costly in both communities. Yes, in WFB, most houses are going to be older...it is right up against Lake Michigan, and as such, demand has been high there for a long time, thus it was built up in its small landmass quite some time ago. Houses overall are quite nice in WFB, historic - lots of hardwood floors, good solid construction, etc.

Mequon will definitely have more opportunities for newer homes, more big homes, etc. Mequon is the community with the bigger lots, houses more spread out, etc., whereas WFB has smaller lots, houses closer together - because you are choosing a more typical sprawled suburb (albeit a very upscale one) versus a more urbanized, affluent, close-to-the-lakeshore suburb.

Taxes - being on Milwaukee's northshore - are indeed through the roof in WFB. While high in Mequon, they aren't as bad as WFB.

In WFB, you are a 5 or 10 minute drive from Downtown Milwaukee, in Mequon, depending upon where you are in the sprawled out suburb, you'd be 20 to 40 minutes from Downtown Milwaukee.

One observation you made that I would say "no" to is Whitefish Bay being more "middle class"...WFB is definitely not a middle class community or feel...it is definitely affluent, some parts upper middle class and some parts wealthy, but I would say both communities are fairly equal as it relates to affluence.

Schools will be great in WFB or Mequon. Drugs? I think kids looking to get into drugs will find those in any community...can't shield kids looking for those in today's era.

Both are extremely quiet, safe, peaceful, very nice.

I would pick WFB because:

a) I like its very-close proximity to Shorewood, Milwaukee's East Side, and Downtown Milwaukee.

b) I prefer WFB's layout as a semi-suburban, semi-urban small nice town than Mequon's more spread out, super-suburban or almost still rural layout

c) I think the area that Whitefish Bay is in (Milwaukee's Northshore communities) are the most attractive naturally in the area

d) I love Lake Michigan and WFB is right on the lakeshore by Lake Michigan

Both are nice. Both are affluent, safe, quiet, and good places to live. I think it just depends upon if you - for better or worse - desire a tad more urbanism touched in with your suburban existance.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:12 PM

10 posts, read 46,273 times
Thanks for your help, both of you. I'll be visiting in October to decide where to live in Wisconsin.

Thanks a lot!

Old 09-25-2007, 08:00 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
I personally prefer Whitefish Bay (male in early 30s with 2 young kids).

Mequon is a much geographically bigger, spread out suburb. It is definitely a more suburban, even rural, feeling community than WFB. WFB on the other hand is a really upscale suburb but is closely bordered to Milwaukee/Shorewood, and thus still feels fairly urban.

Both are very upscale.

Houses are going to be very costly in both communities. Yes, in WFB, most houses are going to be older...it is right up against Lake Michigan, and as such, demand has been high there for a long time, thus it was built up in its small landmass quite some time ago. Houses overall are quite nice in WFB, historic - lots of hardwood floors, good solid construction, etc.

Mequon will definitely have more opportunities for newer homes, more big homes, etc. Mequon is the community with the bigger lots, houses more spread out, etc., whereas WFB has smaller lots, houses closer together - because you are choosing a more typical sprawled suburb (albeit a very upscale one) versus a more urbanized, affluent, close-to-the-lakeshore suburb.

Taxes - being on Milwaukee's northshore - are indeed through the roof in WFB. While high in Mequon, they aren't as bad as WFB.

In WFB, you are a 5 or 10 minute drive from Downtown Milwaukee, in Mequon, depending upon where you are in the sprawled out suburb, you'd be 20 to 40 minutes from Downtown Milwaukee.

One observation you made that I would say "no" to is Whitefish Bay being more "middle class"...WFB is definitely not a middle class community or feel...it is definitely affluent, some parts upper middle class and some parts wealthy, but I would say both communities are fairly equal as it relates to affluence.

Schools will be great in WFB or Mequon. Drugs? I think kids looking to get into drugs will find those in any community...can't shield kids looking for those in today's era.

Both are extremely quiet, safe, peaceful, very nice.

I would pick WFB because:

a) I like its very-close proximity to Shorewood, Milwaukee's East Side, and Downtown Milwaukee.

b) I prefer WFB's layout as a semi-suburban, semi-urban small nice town than Mequon's more spread out, super-suburban or almost still rural layout

c) I think the area that Whitefish Bay is in (Milwaukee's Northshore communities) are the most attractive naturally in the area

d) I love Lake Michigan and WFB is right on the lakeshore by Lake Michigan

Both are nice. Both are affluent, safe, quiet, and good places to live. I think it just depends upon if you - for better or worse - desire a tad more urbanism touched in with your suburban existance.
This was an outstanding answer, you really nailed the personality of both places. I don't live in Wisconsin anymore but I always wanted to live in Whitefish bay. So much character and charm but so close to Milwaukee. There just aren't many areas like Milwaukee's northshore anymore.

And sadly, so many people are leaving the immediate Milwaukee area for
the cookie cutter suburbs out west. I went to school in Milwaukee, met my wife there, and have family there. I'm concerned about the city, it's such a gorgeous city with great architecture, not to mention the lake that is almost like living on the ocean. Yet so many people are moving out. If I was
out there I'd be somewhere between Shorewood and Port Washington.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:53 PM

29 posts, read 251,077 times
I grew up in Mequon and would actually also recommend WFB for the reasons listed above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin