Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 04:44 PM

413 posts, read 2,563,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapetacoma View Post
Strange, I wouldn't have thought it was that much different from Waukegan. When I was there I remember four seasons pretty distinctly. Maybe there's some geographical feature that I'm not taking into account?

Haha I love the title of this thread. its almost like asking/forcing you to love it. Read the joke about living in wisconsin where htere is more and more snow and the person starts to hate it.

its nice in the summer but thats all.

Waukegan/Southern WI is a depressing, rust belt ****hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 07:21 PM

413 posts, read 2,563,010 times
I used to live in Lake Forest but Waukegan/northern area is kind of gross lot of abandoned industrial parks and buildings/pollution, lot of crime, strip malls and stuff. One of the downsides of that north shore area. Grand Avenue etc are also stripmallish and gross

Old 02-15-2007, 07:01 PM

656 posts, read 1,311,575 times
so what are we talking about again???? it sounds like you are saying that waukegan is ghetto. i'm not sure where it is but i'll make sure to stay away!

Old 02-15-2007, 07:26 PM

656 posts, read 1,311,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
I grow up in Oshkosh, Wisconsin and graduated from Oshkosh North High School in 2003. I do not like it in Wisconsin, and after I graduate from Madison I plan on moving to California. The weather is just too horrible.

Does anyone else want to get out too?
be careful before you decide to move to california. i have lived here all my life but for the 3 years i spent in manitowoc. and let me tell you it's not like people fantasize about. the property taxes are high here too but you have nothing to show for it. the sales tax is 7-3/4% we have emergency rooms closing because of the illegal aliens using them and not paying. you pay 300 to 400 per year for your vehicle registration the roads are over crowded the schools are crappy and in disrepair. my kids school has a library that is about the size of a 10x12 ft room. oh and half the books are in spanish. the bill board signs are in english and spanish people are just all around trashy. there are alot of non english speaking people here who get mad at you because you have the audacity not to speak THEIR language. also there are alot of gangs and they don't hide it. plan on spending at least 1/2 a mil on a house. oh and it will be a crap hole. yes the weather is good but the beaches are not they get closed ALOT for polluted water. venice beach is closed right now for that. any way something to think about.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:38 PM

537 posts, read 1,942,592 times
We moved here from Chicago 20 years ago. I gew up in the heart of Chicago and moving to WI was different. Our kids were 10 and 3 at the time. But we love it. We don't lock our doors, the keys are in the car etc. Our kids could bike to school, play outside until after dark. We never worried. Which was how it was when I grew up in Chicago.
We are in Chicago almost every week end, my Mom died and we are getting her house ready to sell. We have been working on it for a year. It is about 4.5 hours away. I love Chicago but wouldn't trade living here for anything. Our property taxes are about $1000 less then my Mom's house and our house is twice as big and we have 2 acres. Our home owners insurance is about $500 less then my Mom's. My Mom was originally from here and we still have the family farm. We are going to build a house on the farm acreage later this summer.
We haven't found a problem with people being unfriendly. We came and became involved right away. I was Home and School President etc. There are many people from Chicago moving up here. All 5 of my cousins have moved here from Chicago.
My sister lives in Plymouth WI and she also loves it.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:49 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,550,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
I grow up in Oshkosh, Wisconsin and graduated from Oshkosh North High School in 2003. I do not like it in Wisconsin, and after I graduate from Madison I plan on moving to California. The weather is just too horrible.

Does anyone else want to get out too?
Yes...I want out of California and I want to move to WISCONSIN!!!

Old 03-04-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonM View Post
be careful before you decide to move to california. i have lived here all my life but for the 3 years i spent in manitowoc. and let me tell you it's not like people fantasize about. the property taxes are high here too but you have nothing to show for it. the sales tax is 7-3/4% we have emergency rooms closing because of the illegal aliens using them and not paying. you pay 300 to 400 per year for your vehicle registration the roads are over crowded the schools are crappy and in disrepair. my kids school has a library that is about the size of a 10x12 ft room. oh and half the books are in spanish. the bill board signs are in english and spanish people are just all around trashy. there are alot of non english speaking people here who get mad at you because you have the audacity not to speak THEIR language. also there are alot of gangs and they don't hide it. plan on spending at least 1/2 a mil on a house. oh and it will be a crap hole. yes the weather is good but the beaches are not they get closed ALOT for polluted water. venice beach is closed right now for that. any way something to think about.
I agree with Shannon I too live in California, and it's way overrated...thank Hollywood for that! This was a beautiful state when I was growing up in the 60's...times have changed unfortunately...and not for the better. Think twice!

Old 03-04-2007, 10:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,388,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
I agree with Shannon I too live in California, and it's way overrated...thank Hollywood for that! This was a beautiful state when I was growing up in the 60's...times have changed unfortunately...and not for the better. Think twice!
My dad has fond memories of growing up in east L.A. in the 50s and early 60s. Knowing what has become of his hometown, he has zero desire to go back and visit. How sad.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:26 PM

653 posts, read 3,412,545 times
Cool CA vs Wi

California must be getting pretty bad when residents from there start fleeing to Wi. I kind of understand why they seem to come here to Las Vegas, but WI ??

Last edited by Yac; 03-06-2007 at 04:16 AM.. Reason: You dont really need THAT many question marks.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
California must be getting pretty bad when residents from there start fleeing to Wi. I kind of understand why they seem to come here to Las Vegas, but WI ??
It's because it's so overcrowed here in California and so "not green"! The hills here are STILL brown and it's winter for crying out loud! I've visited family in WI many times...both summer and winter and it's God's Country! I've heard recently that for the first time, more people are leaving CA than are moving in! Housing is through the roof here. We do have some nice things here...the beach, the mountains, and of course Disneyland...but try to go visit them...CROWDS & TRAFFIC!! It sometimes takes my daughter 15 minutes to get on the freeway for work and she only lives 1 mile from the freeway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin