Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 11:53 PM

11 posts, read 49,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
I grow up in Oshkosh, Wisconsin and graduated from Oshkosh North High School in 2003. I do not like it in Wisconsin, and after I graduate from Madison I plan on moving to California. The weather is just too horrible.

Does anyone else want to get out too?
You know, I used to feel that way about Wisconsin, but after having lived in MN for five years, I'd do anything to get back in. I can't argue much about the weather--it's not much better than MN, except by the lake. I can't believe how much I miss WI. I lived on both "coasts." Grew up in Brookfield--yuck!--and lived in LaCrosse for seven years before moving to Rochester. Rochester sucks!

I'd go south, too, if my wife let me, but I don't think it's an option. I do hope to leave Roch within the next couple of years though, escaping to Mpls./St. Paul, Madison, which is a fantastic town!, Milwaukee, or back "home" to La Crosse.

I think if you spend a few years in cali, you'll get it out of your system and you'll want to come back "home" to the great midwest.

By the by, did you take any German classes at Oshkosh? If so, I'm sure you had my sister for a teacher. She left the district this year, but she was there for at least five or six years before you graduated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 08:28 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtledarling View Post
I'm not a fan of Wisconsin. I've always lived in Green Bay and as soon as I graduate from UWGB, I'm moving to Portland or Seattle. My main problem with this state is the focus on beer and brats. I'm a vegetarian, I don't drink, and would like a place with better museums. I don't love the -20 windchills but that's not a chief reason.
Gee, I don't drink and I don't eat meat and I STILL love Wisconsin and find more to do then I have time. By the way, I have been to Portland and Seattle and, while I enjoyed visiting, the museums in Wisconsin are just as good as those there. There are some great museums in Madison and Milwaukee and some very interesting smaller museums scattered all over the state. Just for fun, get a Wisconsin guide and check some of them out. You might be really surprised.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:08 AM

11 posts, read 48,743 times
I don't care for Milwaukee, aside from it's east side. I grew up in Eastern Wisconsin, I like it. The weather isn't so bad, it's nice to have distinguished seasons to protect your life from monotany.

I believe any place can be great though, if you are just not a happy person, scenery will never help you.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:11 PM

135 posts, read 599,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapetacoma View Post
Not that I have anything against your convictions, but before you move out here you might want to consider what it's like to live without sun for most of 9 months/year . We recently went from Halloween to almost the end of the year without a sunny day - and that's not a record. People who don't live here talk about the rain but mostly the residents talk about the gray, sunless, joyless months between October and the start of summer after the 4th of July. The great Pacific Northwet has a lot going for it but unless you really don't care about the sun, the weather isn't one of those things.
Wow, I just looked at the sun stats for Portland. Your winters really are terrible as far as clouds go. I thought we had it bad here in Ohio, but your winters are even cloudier than ours.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:33 PM

323 posts, read 1,969,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asearchforreason View Post
Wow, I just looked at the sun stats for Portland. Your winters really are terrible as far as clouds go. I thought we had it bad here in Ohio, but your winters are even cloudier than ours.
And Tacoma is cloudier than Portland. Even someplace as famously cloudy and rainy as Juneau, Alaska doesn't suffer the clouds like the Puget Sound region during winter (though their summer weather... )

I'm so looking forward to four seasons instead of just two! One thing about summers around Puget Sound - they're usually very pleasant when they finally arrive. The other nine months remind you why Seattlites read so much.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:28 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,831 times
Just a few thoughts here. Wisconsin has two DISTINCT seasons. Winter and July. Harry Houdini, the famous magician, was from Wisconsin. Appleton to be exact. And his GREATEST escape? Gettin the hell outta Appleton of course. For one who chooses to survive on beer, brats and cheese curds, pay outrageous taxes, and freeze for 11 months out of the year-well Wisconsin is the place for ya.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:50 PM

19 posts, read 152,740 times
I love Wisconsin. I don't see what's so terrible about the weather. This negative degrees business happens very rarely and if you're cold wear more layers! I'm also a vegetarian and don't drink; the culture here just amuses me. I haven't met these unfriendly people you all seem to know either.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:48 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
Just a few thoughts here. Wisconsin has two DISTINCT seasons. Winter and July. Harry Houdini, the famous magician, was from Wisconsin. Appleton to be exact. And his GREATEST escape? Gettin the hell outta Appleton of course. For one who chooses to survive on beer, brats and cheese curds, pay outrageous taxes, and freeze for 11 months out of the year-well Wisconsin is the place for ya.

Who freezes 11 months out of the year in Wisconsin? I go barefoot outside most of year and in a t shirt..The beer drinking I am going to die of thirst as only drink maybe 4-5 beers every 3-4 months.Brats on grill are great and Wisconsin cheeses no matter which kind are the best.Just ask my brother and all the troops he hands it out to in Iraq. I do like meat and venison is great,just not when hit them with your vehicle. Some people must not get out to much if they think drinking and freezing is all we do.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:32 PM

119 posts, read 835,097 times
Default Leaving Wisconsin

I did get out and would never go back. It's depressing there and all everybody does is drink, for the most part.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:42 PM

323 posts, read 1,969,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
Just a few thoughts here. Wisconsin has two DISTINCT seasons. Winter and July.
Strange, I wouldn't have thought it was that much different from Waukegan. When I was there I remember four seasons pretty distinctly. Maybe there's some geographical feature that I'm not taking into account?

Quote:
For one who chooses to survive on beer, brats and cheese curds, pay outrageous taxes, and freeze for 11 months out of the year-well Wisconsin is the place for ya.
No thanks on the beer - at least not the stuff that most Americans call beer! In the few visits that I've made to Wisconsin I have yet to try any of their famous brats but I'm looking forward to remedying that oversight.

I've read a lot about outrageous taxes in Wisconsin and I agree that the property tax rate is pretty hefty. OTOH, all of the people that I've spoken with in person who live there said that they believe that they get something for their taxes (roads and schools are the two most commonly mentioned.) That's quite a change from Washington where the overall tax burden is quite similar, but the roads are crowded and falling apart and the schools are crowded and turning out the burger flippers of tomorrow It's also nice that the property taxes are paid on homes that are soooo much less expensive than where I'm currently living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin