Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 08:46 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times

Advertisements

This was posted on a UND sports forum in a non-sports section talking about the oil boom. Post was made on 1/20/12....

WSJ: Oil Booms in North Dakota - SiouxSports.com Forum - Page 13

All I can say is WOW... didnt realize it was this crazy.... we out in eastern ND dont have much idea what really is going on...

---------------------

Got this in my e-mail today, pretty much summarizes a lot of the bad things the oil activity has brought to the area. Williston used to be a nice day trip to go to, now you hope you never have to go there again. I pity the locals that cannot afford to relocate.

A meeting was held recently of the ND Sheriff’s & Deputies Association in Bismarck,,,, as part of this meeting we had an opportunity to sit down with Law Enforcement from western ND to discuss what they are going through with oil impact.

Here is a summary of points made:

1. Currently there are a total of 84 companies involved in the oil industry in western ND.

2. It takes between 2000 and 2200 semi loads of water per well. Currently there are 258 wells in progress with so many scheduled it is hard to determine the exact amount.

3. Traffic accidents, especially fatal traffic accidents are of very high concern. At one location on Highway 85 south of Williston, a traffic count was conducted in October of 2011. In one 24 hour period of time there where 29,000 vehicle through the intersection looked at with 60% of the traffic being semi’s.

4. Traffic is typically backed up for ½ to ¾ of a mile. One of the guys stated that one day last week he sat at an intersection on Highway 85 for about 30 minutes to get a big enough opening to cross over.

5. They have closed the weigh scale house because it was causing such a traffic jamb that it was closing the roadway.

6. Rent in Williston currently is: $ 2000 for a one bedroom to $ 3400 for a three bedroom appartment.

7. They have no more hook ups for campers any where in the area.

8. Williams County allows three campers per farmstead, the farmers almost all have three campers on their property and are charging $ 800 per camper per month for rent.

9. Wal Mart in Williston no longer stocks shelves, they bring out pallets of merchandise at night, and set it in the isles, people then take off of the pallets what they want.

10. On 1-1-12, the Williston Wal Mart had 148 campers overnight in their parking lot.

11. Willams County wrecked a pickup and ended up bringing it to Bismarck for repairs because there no available body shops to do the work. Williams County has purchased a trailer and has started to bring vehicles to the Bismarck area for repairs. Willaims County took a pickup in for ball joints and front brakes, the shop charged them $ 2800 for the repairs.

12. Williston and Williams County now produces more taxable sales than any other area in ND, including Fargo.

13. The Williams County jail has increased booking by 150%. With a 100% increase in inmate population. Bonds of $ 5k to $ 10 K are typically paid with cash out of pocket. The Williams County Sheriff stated that a couple of week ago he received a $ 63,000 bond in cash carried into the jail in a plastic Wal Mart bag.

14. Williams County Sheriff’s Department has more than doubled in staff over the last two years, they are now buying trailer houses that come up for sale to rent to newly hired deputies.

15. Williams County new starting salary with the academy is $ 46,000 plus 100% of all benefits paid.

16. They are in a continuous hiring cycle, they have no set budget at this time, the Sheriff has been told to manage his office to the best of his abilities and keep the Commission updated, but do not worry about the budget.

17. The Williston McDonalds just announced that they will pay $ 15 an hour, a $ 500 immediate sign on bonus and a single medical plan paid for.

18. The restaurants are full and with limited staff to work in them they usually just have the drive through open. The restaurants that have inside seating are now an hour wait at all times.

19. Law Enforcement in the Williams County area cannot provide training to staff due to time constraints and no location to hold training.

20. The local Motel 6 in Williston now rents rooms fro $ 129.95 per night.

21. Law Enforcement no longer does any proactive work (school programs, community services, house checks) they do very little traffic related issues as well, they just to from call to call. Bars fights are one of the biggest issues.

22. Other law enforcement issues include the strip clubs. The local clubs have now started what is called “babe buses”. These buses go out to areas and pick up people and bus them back and forth to the strip clubs, the buses have poles on them as well as live entertainment.

23. Drug problems are immense, and they are seeing narcotics that they have never seen in the area before, like black tar heroin.

24. The civil process section of the Sheriff’s Department use to average 1800 paper a year, they are now doing 4500 processes a year.

25. Law Enforcement said that they make as many Driving under the influence arrest at 10 Am as they do at midnight.

26. Illegal aliens have become a huge problem, especially getting the proper authorities to remove them from the Country.

27. The current thought from the oil companies is that the area will continue to grow as it has over the past two years for the next five years and stay for ten years. At the end of the ten years they feel the communities will drop in population somewhat.

28. The current thought is that the oil companies will be drilling wells on every 1280 acres of leased land, this way they have tied up the land and do not have to re-lease the property.

29. The Williston General Motors dealership has now become the number 1 seller of Corvettes in the upper Midwest.

30. The bigger oil companies are doing very well in hiring good people. They run checks and make sure the people they hire are drug free; it is the smaller companies that are having trouble-hiring people that will look the other way on hiring issues.

31. They said they do not know anybody anymore. The Sheriff of Williams County he use to be able to go to Wal Mart and not be walk very far without knowing somebody, now he does not know any of the people in there.

32. Many of the local citizens are taking retirement and moving out of the area.

33. They have an extreme amount of alcohol abuse going on. They have more calls than ever of drunk people trying to get into houses, to find out they are at the wrong place.

34. Minot population has grown by a projected 9000 people since the completion of the 2000 census. Minot is expecting to reach a population of 75,000 in the nest five years.

Trinity Hospital in Minot has just hired 115 nurses from the Philippines to work at the hospital, as they cannot get enough local nurses to apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 PM

477 posts, read 1,506,618 times
I have saw that posted a few times too, I am not sure how reliable it is actually. Some of them numbers seem a bit off, but then again it's kind of crazy now with traffic and the amount of campers in Walmart. I will say we were at Walmart last night and we counted the campers as I was curious if the numbers were close to what was posted, however, we came up with around 34. I am sure though this summer there were a lot more than that.

Otherwise, yeah spot on!

Old 01-20-2012, 09:42 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,286 times
In all seriousness, I really doubt #34. If you check the Job Service ND labor force and employment figures, Minot has not gained very many new employees or increased the labor market by a large margin...definately not 9,000. And not to be negative, but I highly doubt Minot will be growing to 75,000 people within the next 5 years. I'm guessing the 40,000 they reached in 2010 was knocked down a bit with the loss of a few thousand homes. I'm not sure who these 30,000 to 40,000 new people will be? Oil? Doubt it very much. Again, if you look at Job Service ND labor force and employment numbers, it just doesn't add up. Williston on the other hand has nearly doubled it's labor force since 2000...Minot's is still pretty much the same.

Williston's numbers Labor Force: Williston, ND Micropolitan Statistical Area, North Dakota; NSA

Minot's numbers Labor Force: Minot, ND Micropolitan Statistical Area, North Dakota; NSA

Old 01-20-2012, 10:49 PM

477 posts, read 1,506,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
In all seriousness, I really doubt #34. If you check the Job Service ND labor force and employment figures, Minot has not gained very many new employees or increased the labor market by a large margin...definately not 9,000. And not to be negative, but I highly doubt Minot will be growing to 75,000 people within the next 5 years. I'm guessing the 40,000 they reached in 2010 was knocked down a bit with the loss of a few thousand homes. I'm not sure who these 30,000 to 40,000 new people will be? Oil? Doubt it very much. Again, if you look at Job Service ND labor force and employment numbers, it just doesn't add up. Williston on the other hand has nearly doubled it's labor force since 2000...Minot's is still pretty much the same.

Williston's numbers Labor Force: Williston, ND Micropolitan Statistical Area, North Dakota; NSA

Minot's numbers Labor Force: Minot, ND Micropolitan Statistical Area, North Dakota; NSA
I have heard from a real estate agent that Williston is around 30,000 right now with all the man camps and so forth. There is no doubt in my mind that is right on.

Minot does have oil companies using that for headquarters, some anyways, and this summer was hard to get rooms at hotels on a short notice. Even for the State Darts coming up in March they are getting pretty booked up. However, I can't see it growing as much as stated either on the list.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:06 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
DanEGF Those of us that know you on this forum can trust you to convey good information. I absolutely think this is an apt description of what is transpiring in the Williston area. And a few recent visitors to Dickinson have described much the same situation. Haven't heard that much re: Minot, excet for more crime, and more road issues, traffic. But I am not surprized, just very, very saddened by what our poor State residents have/are going through.

Taken from same source;
"The only thing that isn't on the list is the amount of sexual assaults reported, supposedly there is now a curfew in Williston, 8 or 9 PM is what I've heard, for minors AND women. Seriously. I haven't seen that in print but have heard it probably 100 times in the last few months so there must be something to it. Whether the curfew for women is an actual law or more of a warning not to be out alone after dark I can't say, but you can't let your wife/daughter go anywhere alone anymore regardless of time of day, it's a 24-hour town with people getting off shift constantly, and drunk people out and about 24 hours a day.

Oil has made Williams County rich, but has turned the cities within it into *****holes. "

Any local Women on forum to verify this???

I cannot imagine what it is like to live there and contend w/ all these issues day to day This is even more frightening than I had been assuming. I find it even more amazing that the Law Enforcement was able to find the suspects in the recent abduction case in such a short time recently. Hats off to Our state for giving the Sheriff the go ahead to take care of business as needed. We need to be praying for those folks living, working there. Can you imagine if they started bailing like some city leaders did after Katrina. I hope that they can get some things in place to get some control.

Last edited by JanND; 01-21-2012 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: added more info.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:07 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Hi all

Yes I do hope the info is accurate.... it seemed so from the source.... but for those folks out west please let me know if not....

I did a google search and saw it was posted on KFGO website.....

http://www.kfgo.com/on-air-details.php?ID=1268

However...I did see see another post of this on an outdoor forum....which listed this same e-mail.... and noted a few falses.....like wait time at restaurants....

If those of you feel the info is not accurate....then please remove post....

I did check and there was a meeting in Bismarck on Jan 10th this year....of the ND Sheriff and Deputies assoc...will dig further

--Dan

Last edited by Kamsack; 01-21-2012 at 06:20 AM..

Old 01-21-2012, 07:51 AM

581 posts, read 2,215,188 times
There are 350 oil companies in western ND so it starts off with some in accurate info. I'd say some of it's true but I doubt all of it is. Still gives a good idea of the situation out here.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:56 AM

#10 is also not true. I'd say 50 campers at best. I drive by it every day.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:05 AM

#2 is wrong as well. 400 freshwater loads and 200 dirty water loads is what it should be. There are 2024 total loads (to and from) every well. That's not just water. That's everything.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:07 AM

979 posts, read 3,669,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
There are 350 oil companies in western ND so it starts off with some in accurate info. I'd say some of it's true but I doubt all of it is. Still gives a good idea of the situation out here.
"1. Currently there are a total of 84 companies involved in the oil industry in western ND."

I agree with you that this is totally way off. Williston alone is actaully now closer to 400...and growing. All of the new Industrial parks being developed east, west and north of Williston is an indication of that. There were over 200 oil service related companies in Williston in 2006, and it has nearly doubled since.

Jan is correct...this is good information and pretty accurate that Dan posted. Not sure who created this list, but there are some inaccurate statistics on it...but it at least points out some important facts and issues facing the oil patch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston