Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:40 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times

Advertisements

I don't feel bad for any long time residents.. surely they CAN afford to relocate, the assessed value of their home has probably doubled to tripled.. even if it hasn't they could rent out bedrooms to people have a large supplementary income in the process.... if I was as long time resident not involved in the oil industry I'd take the money run this spring and move to eastern South Dakota.. Sioux Falls maybe. It's no fun living in a town that doesn't have the infrastructure to support it's population. Buy a house in SF and take the extra 100k profit and invest it. Get a new job, and pay no state income tax, and live in a warmer climate. Win, win, WIN!

Here's some tax information for you home sellers

http://taxes.about.com/od/taxplannin...e_sale_tax.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 10:19 AM

477 posts, read 1,506,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
#2 is wrong as well. 400 freshwater loads and 200 dirty water loads is what it should be. There are 2024 total loads (to and from) every well. That's not just water. That's everything.
I was going to bring that one up also, thanks for pointing that out.

Furthermore, I wasn't doubting that the poster was giving inaccurate information. I just know that this was posting on facebook, and as you said an outdoors ND site. I am trying to find out also if I can find someone that was at that meeting or someone else that can confirm the list. It's still a good list, but some of it is a bit off, just saying.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
DanEGF Those of us that know you on this forum can trust you to convey good information. I absolutely think this is an apt description of what is transpiring in the Williston area. And a few recent visitors to Dickinson have described much the same situation. Haven't heard that much re: Minot, excet for more crime, and more road issues, traffic. But I am not surprized, just very, very saddened by what our poor State residents have/are going through.

Taken from same source;
"The only thing that isn't on the list is the amount of sexual assaults reported, supposedly there is now a curfew in Williston, 8 or 9 PM is what I've heard, for minors AND women. Seriously. I haven't seen that in print but have heard it probably 100 times in the last few months so there must be something to it. Whether the curfew for women is an actual law or more of a warning not to be out alone after dark I can't say, but you can't let your wife/daughter go anywhere alone anymore regardless of time of day, it's a 24-hour town with people getting off shift constantly, and drunk people out and about 24 hours a day.

Oil has made Williams County rich, but has turned the cities within it into *****holes. "

Any local Women on forum to verify this???

I cannot imagine what it is like to live there and contend w/ all these issues day to day This is even more frightening than I had been assuming. I find it even more amazing that the Law Enforcement was able to find the suspects in the recent abduction case in such a short time recently. Hats off to Our state for giving the Sheriff the go ahead to take care of business as needed. We need to be praying for those folks living, working there. Can you imagine if they started bailing like some city leaders did after Katrina. I hope that they can get some things in place to get some control.
Im not saying he posted bad info, I am just saying that it was posted on several forums and people have to take this list with a grain of salt unless they know someone personally that was at the meeting.

There are no curfews for women, we still go out at whatever time we need to. I go to Walmart at midnight if I need to or go shoot darts, but not as much and we don't walk out of the bars alone late at night. As I have said in past posts, the there are more assults and my friend got beat up behind a bar I used to go to a lot, so in that case yeah.

Also, I have met some really nice people from out of state that have been nice than some of the locals that I have lived with for years here. Really polite men that hold doors open for me and say hi, thank you and so forth. Actually last week I was pulling out of a store going very slowly because that is how I roll, I'm cautious, lol, when this gal came whipping up beside me at the same time, she honked her horn and you could tell she was bitching me out, lol, I just told her to go first and she was still bitching, wow, and guess what...she was a local, I know her from before sooo.....not all out of staters are bad and not all locals are good!!!

Old 01-21-2012, 10:46 AM

581 posts, read 2,215,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I don't feel bad for any long time residents.. surely they CAN afford to relocate, the assessed value of their home has probably doubled to tripled.. even if it hasn't they could rent out bedrooms to people have a large supplementary income in the process.... if I was as long time resident not involved in the oil industry I'd take the money run this spring and move to eastern South Dakota.. Sioux Falls maybe. It's no fun living in a town that doesn't have the infrastructure to support it's population. Buy a house in SF and take the extra 100k profit and invest it. Get a new job, and pay no state income tax, and live in a warmer climate. Win, win, WIN!

Selling Your Home - Capital Gains Tax on the Sale of a Main Home
Some of the long term residents don't own a home.....they rent. Most aren't willing to rent out their home because it will get trashed and have to be remodeled. I know plenty that have tried and it's not worth it. Selling and getting the heck outta Dodge is an obvious choice....but it's not always as easy as it seems.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:42 AM

154 posts, read 412,960 times
"long time resident not involved in the oil industry"
There is no such thing. Oil and Agriculture are the industries here. I don't care if you work at the bank, scrub toilets at the high school or roughneck - if you live here you are involved in the oil industry.
I don't gripe about the "new" people here. Most of them are decent people who are trying to do better for themselves and their families. To them - "welcome to North Dakota". To the rest - "the same road that brought you in will take you right back out".
I started out with a fairly lengthy diatribe as to why I'm not going anywhere but I'll just say that this is my home and has been for generations. Not goin' anywhere .
Sorry I side tracked.
That list hits the high points pretty well from where I'm standing. Exaggerations here and there but not bad.

Last edited by Cinj; 01-21-2012 at 11:57 AM..

Old 01-21-2012, 11:57 AM

979 posts, read 3,669,854 times
Also, many of the people who have lived in Williston for most of their lives (renting) Once had a home, but sold it a few years ago when the demand was so great, many got huge returns by selling...and downsizing into condo's or apartments (not wanting to do yard work, etc... anymore) Unfortunately, rents the past couple years went from $400 to 2,500 in just a couple years. Most of these people never expected this to happen. For the people who have lived in Williston for most of their lives and OWN and still live in their homes, they are doing just fine. Property taxes have not skyrocketed. It is just the "rentals" and costs to purchase a new home that have skyrocketed. But even a cost of a new home in Williston is not much different than Bismarck, Fargo or Grand Forks. 200-300 thousand for a 1,500 + sq ft home.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:04 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
I can't find the quote, but someone on this forum, that lives in Williston recently told me that the various oil companies have been warned by LE to always have more than one staff person in their office, for safety reasons. That it wasn't general knowledge, as they didn't want to frighten newcomers to the area. Anyone want to verify this??

Old 01-21-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I can't find the quote, but someone on this forum, that lives in Williston recently told me that the various oil companies have been warned by LE to always have more than one staff person in their office, for safety reasons. That it wasn't general knowledge, as they didn't want to frighten newcomers to the area. Anyone want to verify this??

I said that in another thread. That is what the company told us when we went there.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:46 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post

Selling Your Home - Capital Gains Tax on the Sale of a Main Home
Why should native N.D. residents move, The folks that have moved here should put out the money. Afterall, this town had adequate infrastructure, until all the boom folks, and truck traffic came to town.
I think a better plan is for the new N.D. residents to buy homes, build homes, build rentals with all that big oil field money. Than there won't be such a stratified economy between supply and demand re: houses. And, hopefully the town of Williston could collect property taxes adequate to the "out go" for all the road repairs, un-paid emergency room visits by non-residents, emergency shelter donations, school teachers, road repairs, infrastructure improvements, new low-income housing, new hires for the police/sheriff depts....etc.etc.

Last edited by JanND; 01-21-2012 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: sentence

Old 01-22-2012, 06:54 AM

454 posts, read 940,587 times
Quote:
Why should native N.D. residents move, The folks that have moved here should put out the money. Afterall, this town had adequate infrastructure, until all the boom folks, and truck traffic came to town.
I think a better plan is for the new N.D. residents to buy homes, build homes, build rentals with all that big oil field money. Than there won't be such a stratified economy between supply and demand re: houses. And, hopefully the town of Williston could collect property taxes adequate to the "out go" for all the road repairs, un-paid emergency room visits by non-residents, emergency shelter donations, school teachers, road repairs, infrastructure improvements, new low-income housing, new hires for the police/sheriff depts....etc.etc.
I couldn't agree with you more JanND - I feel terrible for all the residents in the oil boom areas that have lived there for generations, through the good times and the bad times, and when times were bad, things were tough. No, they shouldn't have to move now or be forced out due to high rents.

BTW, the best piece of advice I can give anyone who wants to know what is really going on with crime in their area is to become friends with someone in LE, whether it be a 911 operator, a highway patrol officer, a town police officer, a deputy sheriff or the sheriff himself. You are likely to find out much more than you will ever hear on the news or read in a newspaper. They can tell you plenty without ever breaking confidentiality, it's a real eye opener.

I can't remember off the top of my head which member posted something to the effect that businesses don't want the truth about crime to get out to the public, was it Broncogirl? Whoever it was that posted that is correct, it's a running theme in ND, the last thing a retail business wants is a fearful public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston