Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 02:14 PM

113 posts, read 496,087 times

Advertisements

Not talking about the Carl Hiaasen book but WNC. We are flying out to AVL at the end of July for an 8-day stay as part of a retirement location search. Just wondering if that is at all a tourist season as far as traffic is concerned.

I know that we are going to only get only a small snapshot of life there but we have to begin somewhere. I want to be able have some perspective of what the heaviest traffic will be at times.......is it more like October for the Fall colors? While we would not plan to live in a downtown, we most certainly would want to visit AVL for shopping, dining, music, single-malt scotch.....ooops, I gave it away!

Also we want to gauge the heat as well. That time of year must be near the peak highs. We are from the the Left coast so live in a very temperate climate. My wife likes the heat least of all. I think I can handle all but really harsh Winter. I would expect something severe every few years but hopefully not annually.

Don't laugh too hard but is it also "bug" season? Or will it be "you haven't seen anything yet!"? We just don't have them where we live. What is a screened-in porch anyway?

We are getting most excited about this visit to a part of the country that will be all new to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 02:40 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG_HRD View Post
Not talking about the Carl Hiaasen book but WNC. We are flying out to AVL at the end of July for an 8-day stay as part of a retirement location search. Just wondering if that is at all a tourist season as far as traffic is concerned.

I know that we are going to only get only a small snapshot of life there but we have to begin somewhere. I want to be able have some perspective of what the heaviest traffic will be at times.......is it more like October for the Fall colors? While we would not plan to live in a downtown, we most certainly would want to visit AVL for shopping, dining, music, single-malt scotch.....ooops, I gave it away!

Also we want to gauge the heat as well. That time of year must be near the peak highs. We are from the the Left coast so live in a very temperate climate. My wife likes the heat least of all. I think I can handle all but really harsh Winter. I would expect something severe every few years but hopefully not annually.

Don't laugh too hard but is it also "bug" season? Or will it be "you haven't seen anything yet!"? We just don't have them where we live. What is a screened-in porch anyway?

We are getting most excited about this visit to a part of the country that will be all new to us.
Leaf peeping season is the busiest (late September until Halloween) - though many people also visit Asheville in the summer when kids are out of school and they come to camp in the area. While Asheville definitely enjoys 4 seasons, I've never felt the summers were unbearable at that elevation. If there is going to be heat the worst is in July and August, so you will be able to gauge pretty well whether or not your wife thinks it's "too hot" during your visit.

As far as bugs go, it's all relative...I'm a Louisiana native where mosquitos are so big they'll carry off your dog if you aren't careful, lol. So in my decades here in NC I've never been bothered by bugs because there is nothing here nearly as bad as what I grew up with

Have a great trip!

Old 05-19-2010, 02:48 PM

lovesMountains-

Thanks much. Seems we will get a good gauge on the heat and just an inkling of the tourist traffic. Joust what we need to know.

Bugs. Did you see the NBC commentator yesterday on the Today show swallow the big bug that flew into his mouth while in Louisiana talking about the oil spill?

Old 05-19-2010, 02:51 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG_HRD View Post
lovesMountains-

Thanks much. Seems we will get a good gauge on the heat and just an inkling of the tourist traffic. Joust what we need to know.

Bugs. Did you see the NBC commentator yesterday on the Today show swallow the big bug that flew into his mouth while in Louisiana talking about the oil spill?
OHMYGOSH, I missed that, lololololol!

How many years away are you from retirment? If you plan multiple visits to come at different times of the year you'll really be sure if Asheville is for you by the time you retire

Old 05-19-2010, 03:05 PM

As of today? 2 years, 4 months, and 16 days (at the earliest) but who is counting?

If our initial impressions are anything like I hope, then this will be just the first visit. We will looking at Asheville, Weaverville, Brevard, Maggie Valley, Hendersonville, Waynesville, Villeville, Thisville, Thatville, and everything in between!

Old 05-19-2010, 03:16 PM

76 posts, read 223,505 times
Default Bugs

There are mosquitos, ticks, but no black flies like up north (at least not that I know of)

Old 05-19-2010, 03:22 PM

Tarheel22-

Well I guess when I said we don't have bugs, I meant the kind that can make you miserable and do damage to small aircraft! Certainly we have ticks and such here too.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:14 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,416 times
Have a wonderful trip! Bring your checkbook! Seriously, prices are down, IF you should happen to fall IN LOVE w/ a house....GO FOR IT!!!! Good luck! Annie

Old 05-20-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
Have a wonderful trip! Bring your checkbook! Seriously, prices are down, IF you should happen to fall IN LOVE w/ a house....GO FOR IT!!!! Good luck! Annie
Annie-
The time frame in the post above is when our mortgage is paid off. That is when the clock could start for retirement. I have thought about buying before hand and becoming a long distance landlord........then I come to my senses. Besides it would be nice to see what it feels like to NOT have a mortgage.

John

Old 05-22-2010, 03:42 PM

73 posts, read 276,962 times
Hendersonville is a very popular town for what you're looking for.

Waynesville is where we ended up buying for that "future retirement"; I have to think, but the earliest for us is about 16 or 17 months. Realistically, it may be longer.

We are on the south side of Waynesville, less than 30 minutes from Asheville, in an area called Bethel. Waynesville has a Super Walmart, a Lowes, a Best Buy, some nice restaurants and some nice people. Our house is about 3400' in elevation. Bugs aren't a big issue and the heat isn't an issue at all. My wife is really, really tired of the south Florida summers.

It is a beautiful area. I wish the economy would let us retire sooner, but it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina