Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 04:38 PM

94 posts, read 227,290 times

Advertisements

HI

These forums are great. My husband and I want to visit the Waynesville, Asheville area in the spring. I am wondering if that is the busiest peak tourist season? I was thinking it would be more in the summer and fall. We want to see the area. We are hoping to come at a time when it is not greatly crowded and not at the most expensive price times for visitors. If we like it, we will move to the area sometime after our visit.

I had no idea that this was getting to be a popular area, till we looked up information on various parts of the country. It looks beautiful there. Have never been to that part of the country. We are in the Phoenix, Arizona area, and want to relocate to someplace cooler, smaller and greener. We are both no longer working, as of 2006, and have realized we don't have too much reason to remain here.

Would appreciate any insights. Thanks alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 04:52 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marian2005 View Post
HI

These forums are great. My husband and I want to visit the Waynesville, Asheville area in the spring. I am wondering if that is the busiest peak tourist season? I was thinking it would be more in the summer and fall. We want to see the area. We are hoping to come at a time when it is not greatly crowded and not at the most expensive price times for visitors. If we like it, we will move to the area sometime after our visit.

I had no idea that this was getting to be a popular area, till we looked up information on various parts of the country. It looks beautiful there. Have never been to that part of the country. We are in the Phoenix, Arizona area, and want to relocate to someplace cooler, smaller and greener. We are both no longer working, as of 2006, and have realized we don't have too much reason to remain here.

October/early November are THE peak times to visit, and it is lovely then. But spring and summer are very nice in the area also. You should plan to ride thru Great Smoky Mountain National Park, do some easy whitewater rafting on the Nantahala and take a ride on the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad. Most people who visit the Waynesville/Maggie Valley area wish they could stay and live there

Home Page - GSMR

NOC :: - Welcome to the Nantahala Outdoor Center -

Great Smoky Mountains National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 10-12-2007, 05:03 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
For many years, we came up to the Waynesville/Sylva area in either the middle or last week of October. Then a few years ago we had to change our plans and bump our trip back to the first week of November. To us, there was a noticeable change in the number of people we encountered. We could find a parking spot at Dillsboro or Waynesville without having to circle around and around. A lot less people on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We could eat out without a long wait to get a table. And the weather is still not terribly cold. So we now have made the first week in November our regular time.

The downside is that there may be a shop here and there that has closed for the season. And you may miss the main maple leaf color (but the oaks that color later are very nice).

Whatever time you choose for your trip, I think you will enjoy it.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:56 PM

94 posts, read 227,290 times
Thank you both for the helpful replies. We are thinking of a springtime visit. We just got back from another trip, and the weather is finally getting tolerable here in AZ. A bit hard to leave here in the winter for someplace colder and unfamiliar.

My hubby loves trains, so that link looks intriguing. No rafting for us. Neither of us is athletic minded or water friendly. Except to admire it.

If these forums are any indication, it sounds like there are alot of friendly, helpful people in the area. If we love it there, we are hoping to relocate in the coming months. We are hoping the homes will be affordable for us.

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-19-2007 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: edit as per member request.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:49 PM

123 posts, read 534,062 times
Also around the August or September is Belle Chere!!! We went every year back in the 90's and we always had a blast.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:10 AM

283 posts, read 1,290,928 times
Quote:
Thank you both for the helpful replies. We are thinking of a springtime visit. We just got back from another trip, and the weather is finally getting tolerable here in AZ. A bit hard to leave here in the winter for someplace colder and unfamiliar.

My hubby loves trains, so that link looks intriguing. No rafting for us. Neither of us is athletic minded or water friendly. Except to admire it.

If these forums are any indication, it sounds like there are alot of friendly, helpful people in the area. If we love it there, we are hoping to relocate in the coming months. We are hoping the homes will be affordable for us.
Marian, I live in Haywood County, and if you have any specific questions, let me know. I have many friends and business acquantances who might be able to help you from recommendations on what to do (HART Theater, Relaxing, Blue Ridge Parkway vistas, restaurants, music, etc.), to relocation info that I might be able to help you with. Feel free to send me a PM.

Whether it is just for a visit, or more, I hope that you like this area. It has so much to offer the right people.

Good luck!

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-19-2007 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted material as per marian2005's request.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:30 PM

758 posts, read 2,286,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You should plan to . . . take a ride on the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad. Home Page - GSMR
lovesMountains, thank you for those suggestions! We'd like to book the Railroad for a date later in October or early November.

But the Railroad offers options enough to confuse us. Which excursion would you recommend for first-timers, please? We'd be interested in an interesting day-trip, don't need anything fancy, just want to see the natural beauty and enjoy the train. Anything special come to mind?

Jan

Old 10-16-2007, 10:53 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
lovesMountains, thank you for those suggestions! We'd like to book the Railroad for a date later in October or early November.

But the Railroad offers options enough to confuse us. Which excursion would you recommend for first-timers, please? We'd be interested in an interesting day-trip, don't need anything fancy, just want to see the natural beauty and enjoy the train. Anything special come to mind?

Jan
Jan, for a great day trip do the Nantahala Gorge 4 hour ride:

Nantahala Gorge:
Departing Bryson City (4 1/2 hours, 44 mile round trip)
Depart Bryson City and travel to the Nantahala Outdoor Center and return. This magnificent trip offers highlights like the Horseshoe Curve, Fontana Lake Trestle, Little Tennessee River and the Nantahala River Gorge

OR, start the ride in Dillsboro - a very neat little town you don't want to miss seeing:

Departing Dillsboro (4 hours, 34 mile round trip)
Travel from Dillsboro to Bryson City. This relaxing train trip travels through the historic Cowee Tunnel, crisscrosses the Tuckasegee River, passes through old railroad towns and scenic meadows on the way to Bryson City's historic depot for a 1 hour and 25 minute layover before returning. Ticket price includes admission to the Smoky Mountain Trains Museum in Bryson City. Enjoy the museum during your layover or return another day.

Either ride would be fantastic. If you want to go in the next few weeks you might want to go ahead and make reservations pretty soon

Old 10-16-2007, 11:46 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
HI

I would think the Asheville area would be busy most of the year. Our timeshare lists quiet time in this area as weeks 5-12 and 48-50. Value time is 1-4 and 44,45. High time: weeks 13-22, 34-39, 46, 47, 52. Prime time: weeks 23-33, 40-43, 51--that's Christmas week. Hope this helps.

If you are looking for a house, you may want to visit at the least popular time to see what it is like when no one wants to see it. Then again you might want to see what the tourist season does to the traffic in the area, etc.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:32 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post
Also around the August or September is Belle Chere!!! We went every year back in the 90's and we always had a blast.
That drunken street brawl is in July, and has become as tacky as the county fair, without the crafts, agricultural displays and rides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina