Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 07:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,549,163 times

Advertisements

I thought I start this thread since, I am already noticing in the Piedmont some of leaves are starting change in color process. This thread can be use for anyone to chat about leaf foilage in your area.

For me I am looking for info on the high country as I plan to travel to my grandmothers through NC mountains, Shenandoah Valley then to her place in Kentucky mountains and I want to go when leaves are at their peek.

I came across this good site of web cams HighCountryWebCams.com offers Western North Carolina Web Cameras

Do you guys think due to early Spring will have any effect on leaf foliage peak periods?

If you live in high country, I welcome you to hop in this thread and say this or next week is a good time to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 07:41 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,354,136 times
I'm a piedmonter chiming in, but we have a family house in Boone and IME generally sometime in the second half of October is great. It does vary year to year, though. It's been a few weeks since we've been up so not sure what it's looking like now.

You can look at some dated shots from past years on this site to get a general idea of when leaves have turned in the past in various areas. Elevation has the greatest effect on the leaves so you'll probably see some somewhere along your route.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:21 AM

Do you think due to mild winter and early Spring the peak will be early?

Old 09-15-2012, 08:26 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,951,995 times
This site lists timeframes for peak colors in various areas around Asheville:

Asheville NC Fall Foliage Color Leaf Report 2012

Old 09-15-2012, 12:56 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,475,052 times
^^^^ the romantic asheville predictions are almost always spot on. They were first recommended to me by a botanist.

I don't see the peak being early this year but it will probably not be as vibrate due to all the rain. September temperatures have been right around average so far with cool nights and warmer days which is the perfect recipe for fall colors.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:54 PM

Ok thanks, Looks like Boone and point north the first weekend October would be best. I have to drive up 77 through Wytheville, I'm ecstatic except there not really any turnouts to snap pictures on 77

Old 09-15-2012, 02:20 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,354,136 times
Sunny, go thru and look at the pictures from last year. I would not say the first weekend in Oct. You can probably find some color at high elevations then if that's when you need to go, but like I said, generally, you will see the most color the second half of October. Sometime usually between the 15th and 25th is best. Check out these pictures from around the 5th near Grandfather last year — still lots of green. Our anniversary is the 23rd. We were married in SW Va and it was absolutely perfect that weekend. We usually go up around then most falls and it's usually very nice. Higher elevations change first. Wytheville is not that high relative to Boone. I'd aim for the 13th or the 20th if you're traveling over the weekend.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:52 PM

107 posts, read 249,786 times
It depends on if we get a cold front with a lot of rain and wind to make the leaves drop in Asheville. But mostly every year when I am trick or treating with the kids i think about how this is as beautiful as a place can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina