Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 08:59 PM

43 posts, read 138,561 times

Advertisements

I am looking into relocating to the Asheville area and am still narrowing down my search. I have been looking mostly in Weaverville because I really like the sound of the area but lately I keep reading about bad pollution and air quality. Can someone tell me more about this? We'd like a smaller town, don't mind driving 20 minutes to big shopping but would like a "downtown" within 5-10 minutes. I have 3 small kids so schools are VERY important.
thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 06:09 AM

358 posts, read 786,870 times
It is more of a regional problem because of what lies upwind or west of us. If you have your mind made up tomove to the mts. then you must except this fact. We moved to Weaverville from N.Il. and love it. Would never think of moving again.....Ever! You can travel the country and find many areas of less than perfect air,bad climate,bad water,bad economy, and bad people. This area always ranks high in "quality of life" factors. If you choose Weaverville you will not be disappointed and rest assured you will not cough up a lung. Good luck! Don

Old 01-20-2010, 11:20 AM

765 posts, read 2,570,326 times
I live in sight of the Weaverville town limits (south side off New Stock Rd). I will say that the municipal water here is a little bit thicker than at home. We use an on-sink filter and it used to last us 1-2 months in NOVA but here it is good for about 2 weeks. I think I'm going to have to add a whole house water filter just to get the sediment that they don't get out before it goes into the pipes. Another issue out here is the traffic on New Stock Rd. There is a quarry down near the river and there are gravel trucks up and down the road all day long. Otherwise air quality is fine and and I don't see any signs of pollution. There are some small releases from businesses around here but nothing but background stuff. This seems to have been mainly a farming area before it was developed back in the 1960s and I see no signs of any major historical industries like there are down in Arden, Asheville, Candler, and West Asheville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina