Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 01:46 PM

29 posts, read 77,124 times

Advertisements

Hi all-

Hoping for some great feedback from those of you in the know. We (my husband, I, three young children) had been focusing our search for a second home in Waynesville but haven't had a lot of luck finding what we want. We'll be using this home three to four months per year and ideally would prefer an older home (pre-1960s) with a good yard in a safe neighborhood close to downtown (walking distance would be ideal) for $350k or less. We're originally from East TN and VA, love the mountains and outdoor activities, and want our kids to have a small town to spend time in that's more akin to where my husband and I grew up.

We have family in South Asheville and they have been encouraging us to look in Weaverville. We like the looks of the "downtown" area and the neighborhood right around it, but we're wondering if that area on the upswing or downswing--do people still want to live there? Are homes holding their value as compared to other areas? And are there any other areas of Weaverville we should consider? We might be willing to trade walkability for a bigger lot (1-5 acres) if we found the right place.

We do have an agent who is working hard for us, but input from locals is always helpful. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 02:39 PM

442 posts, read 1,510,476 times
You might want to search this site for the many threads about Weaverville! That said - we love Weaverville! it has a cute downtown - an art fair twice a year that's great - several good restaurants (Blue Moon Pizza, Stoney Knob Cafe, Well-Bred Bakery) - golf course - ten minutes to Asheville - There seem to be several nice areas with pretty homes - CofGA moved there last year and I'm sure he will jump on and give you his good advice. Good luck

Old 01-19-2011, 05:12 PM

Thanks, Loves mountains--I've actually read lots of threads on Weaverville and found plenty about downtown as a place to hang out but nothing about actually living there. As you said, hopefully someone who is familiar with that aspect of it will chime in as well. Appreciate your thumbs-up of the town in general, though!

Old 01-19-2011, 09:32 PM

765 posts, read 2,570,188 times
OK, here I am. We love Weaverville even though we don't quite live within the walkable perimeter. There are some really nice older houses on nice lots in town but you don't see them come up for sale often. There also are a number of bungalows but generally on smaller lots. There is a golf course community on the east side of town that is very upscale ($$$$). If you want land then head up Reems Creek Rd but you won't be in the walkable area.

We spend a lot of time in town. The library is decent and there are several nice gallerys--we ate at Blue Mountain Pizza last night. One of the nice things about the town is it doesn't take long before you get to know people. Plus it has a community feel. What is it you want to know about actually living there?

Old 01-20-2011, 11:34 AM

Thanks, Cofga! I was mostly wondering whether buying a home in the downtown area would be a good investment as opposed to buying further out. For example, right now there are a couple of homes for sale on Alabama Ave., but they look like they back up to commercial. In some towns, being so close to the "action" is desirable, but in other towns, people think of downtown as a nice place to visit but they don't want to live there, you know? We just want to buy in an area that is thriving, not fading or being completely encroached on by commercial.

Do you have any specific neighborhoods you'd suggest for us, based on our desires and price range? Any particular part of Reems Creek? My husband was also interested in some of the farther out areas, like toward Barnardsville, because he originally wanted land. I'd love to know your thoughts on any or all of this. Thank you!

Old 01-20-2011, 01:20 PM

765 posts, read 2,570,188 times
As far as values go I don't think anybody knows where that's going now or in the future. Sales have been pretty slow so its hard to get good comps. All I can say is do your homework and make sure you're getting something well built. A friend of ours bought a place outside Asheville and it has turned into a nightmare--too many details to list. And the real estate inspector was worthless so you'd better be ready to cross check everything yourself.

Now, you really need to drive around town to see what the character of each neighborhood is like. Those right off the commercial district are on pretty small lots. As you go back off the east side of town you get into some older houses on large lots. Lake Louise has a number of older looking houses that are pretty small and there also are some single wides scattered in there--not good for housing values IMHO. We like Woodland Hills but some areas are near enough to major roads (Merrimon and I26) to get traffic noise. But if you get the right house down in a cove that's not a problem. Most houses in there are about 45 years old and on 1/2 to 1 1/2 acres. I don't think any have sold recently for more than $300K. Lots of retirees but many young families also moving in as the older residents die out. Further east of town is the golf course community--more like large condos around the perimeter of the course--not really what I want since I don't play golf.

Out Reems Creek Rd you can find everything from gated developments to rural homesteads but if you plan to be here in winter don't go too far. A friend of mine who owns a shop in town, lives up the mountain and totaled his Subaru sliding off the road up there. Also know folks who bought 17 acres up there and built a house--now wish they could sell and move closer in to town. Funny how the call of the wild gets old after you listened to it a while.

Getting out into the far reaches of the county can be hit and miss. There has been no zoning in the county until recently and even now it doesn't really extend outside the urban areas. So you can find a million dollar house on a nice patch of green surrounded by single wides and fallen down shacks as well as places that look like a junk yard in the making. There is a lot of beauty down here but also a lot of poverty and folks have to live in what they can afford. Take your time to look around real carefully and I'm sure you'll find a place to your liking

Old 01-21-2011, 12:22 AM

Very, very useful--thank you so much. Having lived and gone to school in East TN, I am familiar with the lack of zoning, and the "hit and miss" is what we're hoping to avoid by mainly focusing on established neighborhoods instead of rural properties. If only those properties weren't so darn pretty! I appreciate your help.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:59 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,513,117 times
I love Weaverville it is a great town with nice people and it is the reason we bought in this area. We are out in the Reems Creek Valley about 8 miles from downtown. Some winters can be rough like this one, so far we have had 26" at our house and have been house bound for days until our driveway melts and roads are cleared. But it is so beautiful with the snow I love it!!!! Seems to me older houses in town are being fixed up and if we decide being on the mountain is more than we want I'd have no concerns about moving into town. There are several B&B's around come visit for awhile and see what you think as you wander around main street and even get an ice cream at the drugstore! I love the library, Well Bred Bakery and Blue Mountain Pizza is really good.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-05-2011 at 07:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina