Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 02:30 PM

5 posts, read 13,749 times

Advertisements

We plan to leave Dec 24th in the morning and have until January the 3rd to visit, we have no rush and the goal is to go to the mountains and we heard Asheville is more than beautiful
Thanks for letting us know what to do in the way, where to stop, whats the best place to have Christmas dinner and celebrate, as we are going to be somewhere in the road and whet to do once we are in Asheville or surroundings
Than you guys so much in advance
Loni
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 04:10 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,940,702 times
No problem.

I'd check out St Augustine and/or Savannah on the way up. I'm a FL native, so I'd check out Savannah b/c I've been to St Augustine a few times but never been to Savannah.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:01 PM

679 posts, read 1,463,158 times
Savannah is very nice.....especially since it is not July or August.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:32 PM

60 posts, read 160,145 times
Well, the mountains surely won't be at their prettiest this time of year. Maybe there'll still be some fall colors, but by December, all you'll see is bare trees. However, you may see some snow, which is definitely a treat for a South Floridian.

I honestly can't tell you about restaurants in Asheville. Sorry. :shrug: I do know of a nice restaurant on top of Mount Pisgah, though. Beautiful views, and good food. I don't know if they'll be open for Christmas, though.

You'll definitely want to check out surrounding areas. There's much more to Western NC than just Asheville. Take a stroll down the Blue Ridge Parkway while your there. Drive to the top of the Eastern U.S. - Mount Mitchell! At 6,684 feet, it's the highest point east of the Mississippi. But bundle up! It'll be mighty cold - probably at or near zero this time of year.

Check out this site for more information about attractions in and around Asheville:

Asheville, Asheville NC, Guide to Asheville North Carolina, and WNC

And remember: Check the weather before you go. Surely you know it'll be a helluvalot colder than South Florida, but Asheville ain't like the rest of the south. Highs in the 20s and 30s and lows in the 10s and 0s are not uncommon in December---nor are big snows.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:50 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,227,366 times
1 more place to recommend if you plan on stopping halfway is Jeckyll Island, very family friendly. Do not stay in a motel on i95 in Savannah, very scary, also, I stayed downtown in a beautiful pet friendly B&B and after dark those historic squares in historic Savannah are pretty scary too. YIKES! Downtown Savannah is easily 40 minutes each way from 95 (at least it was for me....getting lost)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina