Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 03:05 PM

120 posts, read 390,994 times

Advertisements

Any Pittsburghers living in Asheville that are on this forum? If so, would appreciate any comments, comparisons, insights between the two towns, pro and con. I also heard there is a restaurant in Asheville where the Steeler Nation goes for all the Steeler football games, is this true?! Thanks! Look forward to any 'burgh-ville chats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 03:36 PM

Also, if there are any Pittsburghers on this forum, can you please share about cloudy days in Pittsburgh throughout the year vs in Asheville? I know Pittsburgh is considered the second cloudiest city in the country/tied with Buffalo and that Seattle is ranked first so anything may be an improvement! But still would like some feedback. How "dark 'n' gloomy" are the winters in Asheville?

Old 07-19-2009, 07:25 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,922,909 times
No comparison whatsoever to Pittsburgh . . . worlds apart . . . it's amazing what seeing the sun on a regular basis can do for your mood. Asheville is paradise in comparison.

p.s. Steelers?? Ugh. Where are all the Pirates fans?

Old 07-19-2009, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 12,044 times
I am from pennsylvania... near the johnstown area. I think the only things that really compare to here and there are the mountainous views and sometimes the snow!!

Old 07-19-2009, 08:21 PM

I do see some comparison between the two towns. 1) the similar geography with the mountains. Thus the opportunity to expand roads is limited as is development in general. Yes, there has been much recent development in Asheville but the general layout of the land and mountains really prevents expansive growth and building. 2) there is a real community feel to the towns and neighborhoods. Many are very distinct. 3) lots of people born and raised in the area and those that move in often become a true part of the community and are proud of where they live 4) the area has a unique feel to it and a culture all its own 5) the people are friendly.

As for the Pirates... well, first they need to win a few games. They are in last place so any day now they'll be making a run for the pennant!!! All kidding aside, I was raised on baseball, not football. But now I am a Steelers fan. Go Steelers! And Pens too! Maybe the Pirates will do it again one day... The Pirates do have a beautiful ballpark in the downtown area of Pittsburgh.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:42 PM

I should have clarified that I was talking strictly about the weather.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:05 PM

Hey NC_Paddler! Speaking of baseball... how about the Asheville Tourists? Worth going to a game? Can you see any good baseball? Sometimes these teams are better than the majors!

Old 07-19-2009, 09:29 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,545,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityGirl57 View Post
Hey NC_Paddler! Speaking of baseball... how about the Asheville Tourists? Worth going to a game? Can you see any good baseball? Sometimes these teams are better than the majors!
Tourist games are great. Nice ball park, just a lot of fun, some good baseball, and the price is very reasonable. I wouldn't walk across the street to attend a MLB game, and never pay the outrageous price of a MLB ticket but we go to Tourists games several times a year.

I know that a no hitter is the goal of every pitcher, but as far as watching it, it would be as exciting as watching paint dry.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:32 PM

90 posts, read 346,068 times
Tourist games are awesome! I'm a Red Sox fan so when Greenville comes up I try to catch a game or two. I'm also a diehard Steeler fan and I'm sure there is a Steeler bar here somewhere. I've lived all across the country and there's always a huge contingency of Steeler Nation. My friends say we're like roaches!
I get the Direct TV NFL package so I'm not sure where it is.

Oh, and if Pittsburgh is like Seattle it's definitely NOT like Asheville. I lived in Portland, OR for 7 years (similar to Seattle) and that experience is probably one of the biggest reasons I'm in Asheville. Weather, particularly sun, became a huge priority for me after living in the gloom for so long.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:44 PM

Red Sox???? Steelers???

Ugh. I think I'm going to be ill.

p.s. there is restaurant in Nantahala Village called "Pittsburgh's" . . . wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina