Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:48 PM

90 posts, read 345,853 times

Advertisements

LOL. Don't tell me you're a MFY fan! BTW, what do you paddle? I moved here a kayaker though with a 5 year old and new one due next month I wouldn't qualify myself as one these days...alas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 10:27 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,299 times
Even on overcast days the skies in the Carolina mountains are more "interesting". Unless it is raining there is usually cloud definition unlike the totally gray gloomy overcast days in the Burgh. Lived in Lenoir for three years. Loved the weather.
You will miss the Pittsburgh cuisine. You won't miss the Pennsylvania pot holes!
Moon Twp.
Go Steelers

Old 07-23-2009, 10:41 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the main plusses to Pittsburgh all of the many neighborhoods that are condensed, walkable, affordable, and relatively safe?

I think Asheville's biggest draw is that its a small town with a decent little downtown with things happening...but most people go to Asheville to be in the mountains?

So therefore, I think this thread might equate more into Pittsburgh's mountain VICINITY and Asheville's mountain VICINITY...moreso that Pittsburgh's city life and Asheville's city life. Maybe stating the obvious here...but I am a bit curious hearing about those two comparisons as well as the mountains side - the mts seems obvious that Asheville would be better - warmer climate and less people (as most mt.-oriented people are generally interested in less people).

But to balance out the posts, I think we also need to hear about city lives and comparisons.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:50 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,919,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslamp32 View Post
LOL. Don't tell me you're a MFY fan! BTW, what do you paddle? I moved here a kayaker though with a 5 year old and new one due next month I wouldn't qualify myself as one these days...alas...
Would you be referring to the 1st place Yankees, by any chance?

I paddle anything that moves, but mostly whitewater. Yee ha!

I've got a 5 year old and a 7 year old myself. (You were talking about boats, right?)

Old 07-24-2009, 10:23 PM

120 posts, read 390,672 times
Appreciate how the discussion is continuing with everyone. Tiger Beer, I agree with you. Would like to hear feedback about daily life in the city and surrounding neighborhoods and towns. The connection or similarity between Pittsburgh and Asheville goes beyond just the all the greenery and the mountains and the topography of the land. It is also definitely about the city life, how each neighborhood or town is different or distinct, the restaurants and food, the people, the cultural aspects, the history, being proud of where you live, etc. when we talk of Pittsburgh and Asheville.
I think there is more connection than one might think.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:32 PM

120 posts, read 390,672 times
hapaleeretired: Thanks for your reply. I am a city girl. Born and raised in Pittsburgh's East End. Appreciate the sky observations. The gloomy days in the 'burgh can really add up and get to you especially in the winter. So you say the sky is different in WNC than in Pittsburgh. That would be a plus. I understand Pittsburgh is not having a great summer this year, weatherwise. I know Pittsburgh gets those kind of summers every once and a while. Absolutely miss the food! You can literally eat your way through the city with all the great little restaurants and ethnic-type food and diners! Any good diners around W NC? As for the pot holes - no the car won't miss the pot holes but they do add character! Steeler training camp is almost here! Absolutely... Go Steelers!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityGirl57 View Post
Absolutely miss the food! You can literally eat your way through the city with all the great little restaurants and ethnic-type food and diners! Any good diners around W NC? As for the pot holes - no the car won't miss the pot holes but they do add character! Steeler training camp is almost here! Absolutely... Go Steelers!
Speaking of food and the Steelers, hopefully they can keep Santonio Holmes away from the ganja this year. I swear I saw footage of him giggling and eating cheetohs on the sidelines, and I think once I saw him intentionally run out of bounds after a catch to go munch on a brownie.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:50 AM

90 posts, read 345,853 times
Is this who you're talking about?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:10 AM

No, I'm talking about this guy:

http://clubhousecancer.typepad.com/....83ca2ae970c-pi

Old 08-30-2009, 06:10 PM

45 posts, read 127,944 times
Hey I'm a Pittsburgher and applying to a job in Asheville. I LOVE the Pirates, dont' care about the Stillerz or "american football". I love european football though aka "soccer". Does anyone know of any bars in the general area that play English Premier League games? Also does anyone have any experience working at the VA hospital there. Thanks and hope to be heading south soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina