Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 04:49 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,972,830 times

Advertisements

Hi ya'll,

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread or not. Sorry if it's not. But I was just wondering if anyone knows of any construction / carpenter jobs in the area? My husband has applied anywhere and everywhere and can't find anything. He got laid off the end of September, they kept his last check and panic is setting in. I'm trying to be optimistic, but it's getting harder and harder. I'm not whining, I'm just, well venting I guess is a good word for this.

He has even applied at McD, BK, and any other place we can think of.He's been told by four or five places to check back January / Feb, but we may be homeless by then. He has taken his resume to anyone that would even look at it. Some businesses have told him that they have already laid off ppl and may have to close the doors permanently.It's really getting scary.

Anyone have words of wisdom or hope? Lol, I really am optimistic and know we'll be fine, but right now I'm having a hard time believing it. Thanks for listening, well, lol reading this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
Let me try this again.

Construction is very slow in WNC. There might be a few houses going up but this isn't a good time. He could drive around the Preserve (Balsam) or in Webster (near Sylva). I know that in Webster there is a building going up on Bonnie Lane (it's across from the community college there).
Ok, well let ME try this again. I live here, I KNOW construction is very slow. Like I said I was really just venting and looking for some useful information. He has been to Balsam and Sylva. I appreciate that info anyway. But was the "let me try this again" really necessary? I mean seriously, we are going through a lot and I was hoping for, oh I don't maybe a little support, not condescension. Geez!

Old 12-17-2008, 05:59 PM

535 posts, read 1,743,626 times
The let me try again was due to my hitting the x after typing, hence the "trying again".

Why did they keep his last check? Has he filed for unemployment?

Wasn't meant to be condescending, sorry if my trying to offer employment options was taken as such.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:15 PM

It was the "let me try this again" that made me think you were being condescending. If you truly weren't then I'm sorry for taking it that way. They kept his last check because the company he was working for, went out of business.They left town pretty much overnight, without warning, changed the cell phone number etc etc. The kicker was both my hubby and my son in law worked for the same place, AND they worked overtime during that last pay period, put in about 98 hours, EACH. And, as a lot of construction workers / carpenters are, my husband and son in law were both technically sub contractors, so they don't qualify for unemployment. It really hurt, still hurts actually. We are all just a little tense.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:24 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that. Can you file a claim against them? I'd contact the AGs office in Raleigh?

As far as stuff to do....hrmmm....maybe post something on Craig's list for handyman work? Or get involved in a non profit (it will get him out of the house, maybe he can make some contacts there).

Wish there was something that I could do to help. Any kids in the family? If so, they taken care of for Christmas?

Old 12-17-2008, 07:48 PM

Thank you very much, I appreciate it. I have called the AG office, but haven't really gotten anywhere.We went down and filed a lien, but since he didn't own property, we will probably never see the money.

There are 5 kids in the house.It's been difficult, the older ones all understand about Christmas.We just tell them it's not about the presents it's about being together.And then I tell them that when we get our tax return back, we'll try and do a little something.

He just got finished signing up for another "monster" type job search engine.He applied all over the place, so hopefully something will come through SOON!

Old 12-17-2008, 08:07 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,568,657 times
While I was out walking my dogs this afternoon, a car with Ohio plates and 3 men inside stopped and asked if I knew of any construction going on in the area. They were driving around neighborhoods looking for work.

After they drove on I got to thinking and realized that I really haven't seen any trucks hauling building materials up a road I frequently use, which at times would have dozens a day going up and down the mountain.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
While I was out walking my dogs this afternoon, a car with Ohio plates and 3 men inside stopped and asked if I knew of any construction going on in the area. They were driving around neighborhoods looking for work.
I had something like that happen yesterday except 4 latino guys. Had someone at work email out trying to collect for latino families who are trying to get back to mexico as there is no work.

If I wasn't so broke I'd have OP'd hubby do some work for me.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 AM

122 posts, read 457,365 times
You may have to resort to hubby leaving the area to find work.
Mine worked out of town most of last winter and spring. It wasn't fun, but it was money.
I hear that upstate NY is still booming construction wise and some places out west too.
Pack him a tent or something and give him a kiss and talk to him when you can.
It is very reminiscent of the Great Depression.. men leaving to find work while the women and kids minded the farm.
I know of three families that are split right now so that the husbands can work.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:07 AM

7 posts, read 18,793 times
So sorry to hear about your situation. Maybe your husband and son-in-law could advertise as "rent a husband," placing business cards in doctors offices, grocery & hardware stores, etc., anywhere that single or elderly women might need a helping hand with home projects. Offer to give personal references so that the women wouldn't be afraid of having someone they don't know in their home. Call area churches and ask them if they have any elderly parishioners that need a handy man. Almost every family I know has someone that is laid off or is worried about being laid off. Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina