Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:14 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,437,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
I'm sorry to hear that.But you sound like you have a positive attitude and that goes a long way!

He has been checking into ND, all parts.I really hope it doesn't come to that, but atleast most of what I've heard and read, has been positive.We're past the point of being too choosy about where he goes, if he has to leave.But that brings on a whole other set of issues.However, when you a roof over your heads, food to eat and actually have money to pay the bills, those issues don't seem so important right now. At any rate, I'll be sending good thoughts your way and hope something will work out for ya!
Thanks for the positive thoughts, just a few days left at work. I did find out today that at least my health/dental benefits will go through the end of January since my last day of employment is in January (the 2nd). Will be able to get one more teeth cleaning!

Do keep us informed of what's happening, I do check back for updates, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 06:09 PM

8 posts, read 40,036 times
Check the posts - there is a Pennsylvania couple looking for a builder/construction person in Brevard.

I'll try to find the post and let them know about your husband.

Mandy

Old 01-04-2009, 08:11 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,970,998 times
Thanks Mandy! That would be great!! And jdljr, I'm glad you'll have those benefits for a little bit longer.Atleast now you can schedule appointments and not have to worry about missing work!

Old 01-06-2009, 05:26 PM

Hey Happeemommee,

Noticed on the Employment Security Commission website this evening that there has been an employment listing for a construction job up here in the mountains in West Jefferson. Here is the link:

The Employment Security Commission of North Carolina

Pay no attention to the salary rate, I'm sure it's just that they have to put SOMETHING in that field. Hey, at least West Jefferson is closer than North Dakota, lol.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:44 PM

lol, well even if it was only .01, it's more than he's making now!! Thank you I apprecaite it! I check that site and go county by county twice a week, but hadn't been there yet this week, so THANKSSS for the heads up. I also heard on the news tonight that UE was up in 99 of NC's 100 counties.Said it was up everywhere but in Durham. At any rate, we can file taxes soon, so I'm breathing a little easier this month...we're just praying he'll have a job by time that's gone.But keeping the positive attitude and all....How are you enjoying your new found freedom?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
....How are you enjoying your new found freedom?
Well, enjoying it for the most part, but a part of me in the back of my mind is embarrassed that I'm not going to work every day. This is the first time I've ever filed for unemployment and, although the unemployment situation was through no fault of my own, I'm still of working age and should be going to work. I'm sure many unemployed feel that way. I, too, am keeping my eyes open for jobs but I'm looking strictly in the county in which I live (Watauga) and neighboring Ashe County. Not as much opportunity up here as there is in an urban area.

And yes, I'll be looking forward to filing my taxes as well, to have that added cushion.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:16 PM

What kind of work do you do? I check about five or six job posting sites almost every day, and I can let ya know if I see anything that would work for you. We almost moved to Boone a couple summers ago, but after the third house fell through, we decided maybe that wasn't the right place for us. But I love it up there!

And I know what you mean about feeling like you're supposed to be working.That is one of the things my DH has a hard time with. Like he let us down or something, which is so totally NOT the case. I know this will all work out, and in our case anyway, we will all be more appreciative, I think. lol, end of today's sermon. Resume stress..lmao

Old 01-28-2009, 05:39 PM

Just checkin in...still no job. He has literally applied in almost every state in the Union and a few places in Canada. He almost had one of the jobs in Canada but the guy said he couldn't promise him a certain amount of money without seeing his work, so just to check back in a few weeks and see how things were going...whatever that means. He did say though, that he had gotten probably 10 calls or so from other people in the south. We did get eviction papers and are supposed to be out of here this weekend, we don't have a definite place yet, but should know tomorrow. I'm hoping we'll be able to stay a few more days after the first. But who knows, he's been pretty patient already.

Anyway, we're still here. Alive and kicking!! Hope ya'll are doing well.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Just checkin in...still no job. He has literally applied in almost every state in the Union and a few places in Canada. He almost had one of the jobs in Canada but the guy said he couldn't promise him a certain amount of money without seeing his work, so just to check back in a few weeks and see how things were going...whatever that means. He did say though, that he had gotten probably 10 calls or so from other people in the south. We did get eviction papers and are supposed to be out of here this weekend, we don't have a definite place yet, but should know tomorrow. I'm hoping we'll be able to stay a few more days after the first. But who knows, he's been pretty patient already.

Anyway, we're still here. Alive and kicking!! Hope ya'll are doing well.
I'm sorry to hear that your situation has worsened with the eviction, and such. Has he applied for any of the jobs with the Census Bureau, I saw there were some in Asheville. Although they're temporary, at least it's something. I'm very surprised that he hasn't gotten something yet, with as many places as he's applied. Hang in there, things have got to look up for you soon!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:16 AM

And the hits just keep on coming...he has been offered a job, but it doesn't start until May 1. We went to court over the eviction and have until tuesday to get out, which was all fine and good until the current landlord called the new landlord and said we were incapable of paying and now we have lost our new house. I'm so angry and really am just venting, but WTH? I am now totally freaking out, there is nothing else out there, I've already called!!! AHHHH!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina