Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 07:32 PM

234 posts, read 940,292 times

Advertisements

I am interested in what winter is like in the Black Mountain area.

I assume that it is milder than where I am right now - the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania.

I am definitely not the Florida type, and I would never live there. I like to see the change of seasons - it reminds me that the wold is alive and ever-changing. But, I could be happy with an area that was a little less cold, with less snow in the winter.

I guess that the ideal for me would be someplace that gets snow a few times in the winter, but maybe just a few inches at a time, with a thaw in between snowstorms.

How does Black Mountain fit in with this scenario? If it doesn't, does anyone have any suggestions for other areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 07:37 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJexpat View Post
I am interested in what winter is like in the Black Mountain area.

I assume that it is milder than where I am right now - the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania.

I am definitely not the Florida type, and I would never live there. I like to see the change of seasons - it reminds me that the wold is alive and ever-changing. But, I could be happy with an area that was a little less cold, with less snow in the winter.

I guess that the ideal for me would be someplace that gets snow a few times in the winter, but maybe just a few inches at a time, with a thaw in between snowstorms.

How does Black Mountain fit in with this scenario? If it doesn't, does anyone have any suggestions for other areas?
I don't live there, but from what I know your description of your ideal sounds just like Black Mountain It is a great little town, wouldn't mind living there myself!

Old 03-01-2008, 07:40 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,010,746 times
At an elevation of only 2,300 feet, snow is not much of an issue. In a average season, expect less than 10" total. When it does snow, it normally doesn't last for days, weeks or a month like in the Northeastern states.

BLACK MOUNTAIN 2 W, NORTH CAROLINA - Climate Summary

Last edited by mm34b; 03-02-2008 at 11:15 AM..

Old 03-02-2008, 09:26 AM

374 posts, read 1,630,188 times
Default Climate Summary

The statistics are very interesting. I thought it was colder then that in Black Mountain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
At an elevation of only 2,400 feet, snow is not much of an issue. In a average season, expect less than 10" total. When it does snow, it normally doesn't last for days, weeks or a month like in the Northeastern states.

BLACK MOUNTAIN 2 W, NORTH CAROLINA - Climate Summary

Old 03-02-2008, 11:13 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,010,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyb0077 View Post
The statistics are very interesting. I thought it was colder then that in Black Mountain.
Another source - Climate Normals | State Climate Office of North Carolina

Old 03-02-2008, 11:29 AM

374 posts, read 1,630,188 times
Default Thank you!

I saved that link to my favorites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post

Old 03-04-2008, 07:02 PM

234 posts, read 940,292 times
Many thanks for those great answers. I appreciate the opportunity to hear your thoughts.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:44 PM

124 posts, read 816,343 times
Okay, hey there, I live in Black Mountain, it's winter here so I think I am qualified to answer your question. I was quite disappointed in the snowfall so far this winter. We only had 1 day with enough snow for sledding. This winter we had highs usually in the 40's and lows in the 20's. It is very, very, very windy here which makes it feel colder. Also, there are many days, every week or so, where the temps spike into the upper 50s or 60s which makes for unpredictable weather. Bulbs started peeking out over a month ago and daffodils are blooming right now all over the place. I don't even bother watching weather forecasts anymore. It is a great little town but has definitely been "discovered" so it's not as little as it used to be. Bits and pieces of the town are being torn up by developers, which is quite sad to see. Real estate is quite high here but there is a great inventory right now. Good luck to you.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:33 PM

758 posts, read 2,288,516 times
mmccool719, I'm embarrassed to have to ask you... but WHAT are these new sprouts we suddenly see all over our yard in Hendersonville? Are they daffodils? They look like (forgive me) huge leeks with just the green ends showing. And... you are seeing daffodil FLOWERS already--in Black Mountain??? On March 5?

Second question: "Bits and pieces of the town are being torn up by developers." WHICH bits and pieces, please? (We are aware of The Settings.)

Jan

Old 03-05-2008, 06:00 AM

124 posts, read 816,343 times
Hey Parkies.......what you are likely seeing are daffodils and crocuses......they have taken over the 2000 sq ft of sod we laid last fall...UGH! Yes, there is bloom here on March 5th!!!

As for developers, there is Goodson Cove, up the road from me on the golf course, hasn't sold any lots, bad reputation I think. Of course The Settings. Then there is The Cliffs by Swannanoa which makes my blood boil when drive by it, though it is tastefully done so far. Then there are smaller 20 acres parcels being bought up and divided...lots of little ones....a few up on 9 and one I cannot name across the way from me off North Fork Road somewhere. There is another small development called Byrd Townhouses and a few other newer homes going up in that corner too. Geez......never realized how many there are...I could go on and on and on and on.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina