Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:08 PM

124 posts, read 816,401 times

Advertisements

And I should have more carefully phrased "torn up" so as not to come off as "controversial". It just seems twisted to me the density with which these developers are allowed to build dwellings, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 11:52 PM

758 posts, read 2,288,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccool719 View Post
Hey Parkies.......what you are likely seeing are daffodils and crocuses......they have taken over the 2000 sq ft of sod we laid last fall...UGH! Yes, there is bloom here on March 5th!!!
Then why aren't there blooms HERE (in Hendersonville)? Why do we just see the GREENS of the daffodils and crocuses? Am I learning about mountain communities?--that what blooms on this side of the mountain hasn't yet bloomed on that side? But why would Black Mountain get blooms before Hendersonville????

Jan

Old 03-06-2008, 08:12 AM

442 posts, read 1,510,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
Then why aren't there blooms HERE (in Hendersonville)? Why do we just see the GREENS of the daffodils and crocuses? Am I learning about mountain communities?--that what blooms on this side of the mountain hasn't yet bloomed on that side? But why would Black Mountain get blooms before Hendersonville????

Jan
Jan - Just heard from a friend in Madison County that the forsythia and the daffodils are blooming there! And the trees are budding - all are praying that they don't get the hard freeze like last Easter. So many young trees and berries didn't make it. Yea! 3 more weeks until we get to see for ourselves - it's hard to imagine green things growing - we are so buried under snow.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:39 PM

4 posts, read 9,329 times
Reading some posts on Black Mountain, I'd like to ask what you consider expensive real estate. For example, I have an 1800 square foot house on 10 acres of land in Vermont. Just wondered what something like this would go for in Black Mountain. I like the seasons, but hate being buried under snow that won't melt. Am trying to think of alternative places to live that are just as nice, but not as severe.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castleriggpekes View Post
Reading some posts on Black Mountain, I'd like to ask what you consider expensive real estate. For example, I have an 1800 square foot house on 10 acres of land in Vermont. Just wondered what something like this would go for in Black Mountain. I like the seasons, but hate being buried under snow that won't melt. Am trying to think of alternative places to live that are just as nice, but not as severe.
HOOboy. Values depend upon location, views, and many other factors. You can find everything in Black Mountain from a double-wide to a country estate, with prices currently ranging from $119,900 to $6,900,000. Asheville Real Estate, North Carolina Mountain Real Estate, North Carolina Land Sales, Asheville Luxury Homes, Asheville Homes, Hendersonville Homes, Waynesville Homes, Brevard Homes, Houses in WNC, NC Real Estate,Beverly-Hanks and Associates

Here’s a house fairly close to your description that has a Black Mountain address but is actually a few miles out of BM in Bat Cave. If this property were located closer in to BM, it would probably sell for much more than $449,000. Asheville Real Estate, North Carolina Mountain Real Estate, North Carolina Land Sales, Asheville Luxury Homes, Asheville Homes, Hendersonville Homes, Waynesville Homes, Brevard Homes, Houses in WNC, NC Real Estate,Beverly-Hanks and Associates

A property a lot nearer to BM but still in the outskirts, about a ten-minute drive from BM that ends in a gravel road, has “5+ wooded acres with great long range views” and 1500 sq. ft. for $489,000: http://www.coldwellbankerkasey.com/property.php (broken link)

Hope that gives you some idea…..

Jan

Old 03-07-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
Jan - Just heard from a friend in Madison County that the forsythia and the daffodils are blooming there! And the trees are budding - all are praying that they don't get the hard freeze like last Easter. So many young trees and berries didn't make it. Yea! 3 more weeks until we get to see for ourselves - it's hard to imagine green things growing - we are so buried under snow.
Blooms in Madison County but not in Hendersonville? I am so confused.

We DO have buds and new growth here (WHEE!!), but not flowers yet..... And YES, what a short winter this has been!!! I'm actually hoping for that one last snowstorm!!! and may get it, I hear....

Old 03-07-2008, 06:53 PM

124 posts, read 816,401 times
Parkies: You were right on with your reply....location, location, location. And add a few digits if that house and 10 acres were in city limits of BM. Walked around my yard today and looked closely at all my bushes and trees....yep, forsythia, magnolia, roses, hycinth, tulips....all have action going on from tiny leaves to buds. Ugh, was hoping for one more good snowfall for some sledding.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:39 PM

652 posts, read 2,265,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
HOOboy. Values depend upon location, views, and many other factors. You can find everything in Black Mountain from a double-wide to a country estate, with prices currently ranging from $119,900 to $6,900,000. Asheville Real Estate, North Carolina Mountain Real Estate, North Carolina Land Sales, Asheville Luxury Homes, Asheville Homes, Hendersonville Homes, Waynesville Homes, Brevard Homes, Houses in WNC, NC Real Estate,Beverly-Hanks and Associates

Here’s a house fairly close to your description that has a Black Mountain address but is actually a few miles out of BM in Bat Cave. If this property were located closer in to BM, it would probably sell for much more than $449,000. Asheville Real Estate, North Carolina Mountain Real Estate, North Carolina Land Sales, Asheville Luxury Homes, Asheville Homes, Hendersonville Homes, Waynesville Homes, Brevard Homes, Houses in WNC, NC Real Estate,Beverly-Hanks and Associates

A property a lot nearer to BM but still in the outskirts, about a ten-minute drive from BM that ends in a gravel road, has “5+ wooded acres with great long range views” and 1500 sq. ft. for $489,000: http://www.coldwellbankerkasey.com/property.php (broken link)

Hope that gives you some idea…..

Jan
Hey Jan...Everytime I look at a listing in BM I just know exactly where it's gonna be on the map by now..ugh. If the price seems decent...say under $600,00 and its on a bit of land I KNOW its got to be a good 15-20 min from the heart of BM...and I'm talking a crappy little house (cause thats what I'm looking for...on some property I can write home about) but thats not the problem. The problem is how far it is from a REAL town..."real" as in a town with some commerce like Asheville. I'd have to say thats what "most" people are looking for otherwise they might as well look further north for some value like up towards Weaverville and the like.
I started getting real and expanded my search further than the proverbial "within 15-20 to Asheville". It's amazing how you're choices become so much better. I'm tending to try somewhere between Hendersonville and Asheville so you get a little bit of both worlds in either direction although I still notice up toward Weaverville is where you start getting more land for your money.
Seems you can still be within..uhhh20-25 min to Asheville.
Reality is reality isn't it?

Meanwhile back on the ranch (so to speak...lol) we're still trying to sell our shack...ugh.
andy

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina