Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 11:26 AM

12 posts, read 38,332 times

Advertisements

Hi - we're very much interested in relocating to Western NC and found the Rutherfordton area in Rutherford County to be very nice (as far as Web sites go), as well as Polk County (Saluda, Columbus, Tryon). It seems that you can buy a home with more property than in Polk County, but Polk County looks as though it has better schools with no crowding.

I checked with NCreportcard.com and found the test scores at R-S Central High School very low compared to Polk County High. We're looking at both middle and high schools.

I'd love to hear from anyone in either of these areas as to the quality of schools and community. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 12:38 PM

70 posts, read 227,344 times
Default Rutherford county schools

Hi there,
Maybe take a look at this link.
Rutherford County Schools Schools, North Carolina - NC: charter and public schools.
Also maybe a forum search on Rutherford schools. There has been some discussion on here somewhere before. I am a native to the area, so if you have other questions, I will try to answer them. I don't know of a "bad" school in our system.
MM

Old 01-29-2008, 04:39 PM

13 posts, read 53,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr525 View Post
Hi - we're very much interested in relocating to Western NC and found the Rutherfordton area in Rutherford County to be very nice (as far as Web sites go), as well as Polk County (Saluda, Columbus, Tryon). It seems that you can buy a home with more property than in Polk County, but Polk County looks as though it has better schools with no crowding.

I checked with NCreportcard.com and found the test scores at R-S Central High School very low compared to Polk County High. We're looking at both middle and high schools.

I'd love to hear from anyone in either of these areas as to the quality of schools and community. Thank you so much.
Please don't. I am familiar with both areas, and as a case worker I am mortified at the poor quality of community services and support services in general. I would strongly recommend you look more into Burke or Buncombe where the schools would be better and you would not be so isolated. mark

Old 02-01-2008, 09:24 PM

8 posts, read 20,095 times
i am not really sure what flash is referring too, but i am a native of rutherfordton as well and i grew up here. we actually just moved back home from a stint in raleigh and then in minneapolis,mn because of the birth of our daughter and i wanted her to be raised here in rutherfordton with the morals i was brought up with

school scores are important but so are the things they are subjected too in the schools. i was in the top 10% of my class and went on to a full educational scholarship and then an mba, but i never really had to worry about drugs in my school or my teachers not carrying about what happened to me

i love rutherfordton and i think there are good morals and schools throughout the region. of course there are some schools better than others, as in all communities, but i would not say there are any BAD schools in the area.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:27 PM

8 posts, read 20,095 times
btw flash we do not have all the community support programs that burke and buncombe have because we don't have the community problems that larger cities such as buncombe and burke have.

we don't have a lot of crime and we don't need 500 different programs for the community because we don't experience all the problems a larger community experiences.

trust me from living in bigger towns such as raleigh and minneapolis, i would pick rutherfordton any day of the year, for my kids at least!!

Old 02-02-2008, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,752 times
I was born and raised in Rutherford County. I moved to Asheville for a couple of years when my mother remarried and attended T.C. Roberson High School from 1994-1996. I moved back to Rutherfordton for the start of my junior year in 1996 and graduated from R.S. Central in 1998. R.S. is unexplainable in comparison to T.C. I was behind when I first moved back. I would have never guessed that the level of education would be so much different than it was. Rutherford County is an absolutely wonderful place to live. I have lived here for 27 years and can tell you that I will NOT be moving...EVER!!! If you would like more information about the county and/or the school system, please don't hesitate to ask. I am a real estate agent also and a firm believer that you can't sell something you don't believe in, and I believe in Rutherford County!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:48 AM

161 posts, read 515,324 times
I am a teacher from Ohio who has relocated in Rutherford County. It is a VERY charming area...and the schools are not as "flash" would have you believe. I'm not sure where you're relocating from...However, one thing I believe is important today....is safety! You will have safety here. Please do not put 100 percent credibility in the "report" cards. They are based on criterion set in place (partially) according to NCLB. (No Child Left Behind.)......There are good teachers here! Your kids will get a good education! IF you'd like more information, you may email me at: tkhk3746@msn.com

Old 07-17-2008, 08:04 PM

122 posts, read 456,819 times
Thomas Jefferson Classical Academy!!!! (free public charter) We moved down the mountain just so our son could go to this school. It is in Forest City and the high school is #3 in the NATION!! The graduating class this year was 26 and every last one of them had full 4 year scholarships to top named universities. Over $500,00 in scholarships for 26kids!
All the classes in the high school are AP. They take Latin, Art History etc... they have a swim team, fencing team, robotics team.. I could just go on and on!
My son started kindergarten this year at the elementary school and it went very well.. I was amazed at what they expected from the kindergarteners by the end of the year. They studied history, science, geography. He can read and write reports on what he has read. He has a great grasp on mathematics and speaks rudimentary Spanish. He will be 6 in November!!!
Please reconsider the Rutherfordton/Forest City area. Worth it for the school alone!! And we bought a great place for a great, great price!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina