Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

People considering move to North Carolina should consider Rutherfordton, great schools, small town friendliness, energetic atmosphere, close to bigger cities of Charlotte, Asheville

Old 10-30-2006, 06:18 PM

17 posts, read 124,416 times

Advertisements

I am new here, just found this site today. But I have read a lot of posts about people wanting to know what are good areas in NC to live. I live in Rutherfordton, NC.

Rutherfordton is a wonderful place to live. WE love it here. We have our house up for sale right now and once it sells we are actually moving even closer to the town of Rutherfordton, right now we live on the outskirts. We actually live right outside Lake Lure, but are still considered in Rutherfordton mailing city. I am only moving closer to town because my Mother is disabled and we would like to move closer to her. I actually love where we live , but it's taking too long to drive to my Mother's and my husband works in Cleveland County, which is about an hour away.

The schools here are great. I don't know the statistics without looking them up, but both my kids have grew up here and love it. My son attends RS Central high and my daughter RS Middle School. I grew up in KY but would not move back there for anything! I love it here. I love the people, I love the environment, and I love the fact that the crime rate is still moderately low. This is the kind of place where almost everyone knows everyone else. The people here are wonderful! Even though Rutherfordton is considered a small town, we are close to a lot of larger areas. I can be in Asheville in less than an hour, to Charlotte in 1-1/2 hours, and Spartanburg, SC in around 45 minutes.

Here are some links, hope they help someone!~

https://www.city-data.com/city/Ruther...-Carolina.html

http://nc.localschooldirectory.com/s...hp/cPath/12774

http://www.rutherfordtourism.com/links/index.php?CID=3 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 04:21 AM

23 posts, read 101,171 times
Default Rutherfordton

Hi, I too just found this sight. My husband and I discovered Rutherfordton on the internet last week. We have been to Asheville, Triad Area, Albermarle areas of NC. We have been searching for a place to relocate for several years. This area seems to be exactly what we are looking for. We don't have kids, but we are not yet retirement age. We are in cold Wisconsin now and would like warmer temps, but still want four seasons. We don't want to live in the boonies, yet, we are not city people either. We would like to have a large city within an hours drive. Do you think this is the place for us? Perhaps you can share some information about the home you have for sale. Or tell me how to find it on the internet. Thanks for your help!

Old 12-20-2006, 04:55 AM

17 posts, read 124,416 times
WItoNC, I am sorry I haven't responded to you until now. I actually just sent you a private message as well. If you are still in need of information about this area please email me or private message me, I gave my email address in the private message I sent to you. I will be happy to help you in any way I can.

My home is still for sale and would be glad to give you the link to it on the internet. I have had a lot of interest in the home but no one has made a firm offer. Even if you just want to chit chat about the area, please feel free to get back to me.

Happy Holidays,

Elizabeth

Old 01-16-2007, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,814 times
Default Rutherfordton is so so, Asheville is preferred

Hi,
I wanted to let you know that Rutherfordton is an OK place to live. It has the small town aspects but doesn't hold anything over the more popular places like Asheville. Located in a thermal belt, the microclimate is more like northern South Carolina. There is a hot summer, warm spring, and cool fall and winter. Little if any snow ever falls. Over the past few years I visited relatives there over Christmas an it felt like springtime. This year the dafodills are already up and it was 60-70F over the holidays. Way to warm for me. I also like the seasons and think that the holidays need some wintery weather to make everything work.
Also, watch out for taxes in this area. Unless you own 100 acres and run a farm, the local counties knock you out with property taxes for single family homes. My 2005 Dodge truck costs me $550 in property tax.

There is more culture and more diversity in Asheville as well. Something to think about if you don't plan on being a hermit.

Good luck with your search.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:36 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,997,063 times
Rutherford County is one of those transition counties, topographically speaking. Big elevation changes from one section of the county to another. Around a low of 800 feet above sea level to almost 4,000 feet. Most of the county population centers are in the low sections such as Rutherfordton, Spindale and Forest City. If your looking for cooler summers, you need to get above 2,000 feet. The summers in the town of Forest City are not the same as the village of Chimney Rock. Something to keep in mind when choosing an area within Rutherford County, if summertime heat is a personal concern.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-16-2007 at 05:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina