Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 03:20 PM

9 posts, read 12,931 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I and our two preschool aged sons are looking to move early next year and are looking for a nice place to raise a family. We are not a professional couple, we both have quite a bit of restaurant experience though. We currently live in NY where the cost of living is crazy and we barely scrape by. We are looking for somewhere with decent priced homes for rent, a good school system, low crime and job opportunities. We also have no vehicle so somewhere we could walk (we walk a lot so a mile or 2 to get back and forth isn't too big of a deal) or if there is public transportation would be helpful. I've been researching places in NC and saw Rutherfordton come up a few times and seems like a great place, but we are looking anywhere is NC in general. Any advice or tips would be appreciated! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 04:52 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
You can't possibly live in Rutherfordton, nor virtually anywhere in NC, without a car. Rutherfordton is a small town, with few jobs.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:57 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
You can't possibly live in Rutherfordton, nor virtually anywhere in NC, without a car. Rutherfordton is a small town, with few jobs.
When United States Route 74 is rerouted onto the new bypass around Shelby, economic development opportunities will increase in Rutherford County.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sextoncas92 View Post
My boyfriend and I and our two preschool aged sons are looking to move early next year and are looking for a nice place to raise a family. We are not a professional couple, we both have quite a bit of restaurant experience though. We currently live in NY where the cost of living is crazy and we barely scrape by. We are looking for somewhere with decent priced homes for rent, a good school system, low crime and job opportunities. We also have no vehicle so somewhere we could walk (we walk a lot so a mile or 2 to get back and forth isn't too big of a deal) or if there is public transportation would be helpful. I've been researching places in NC and saw Rutherfordton come up a few times and seems like a great place, but we are looking anywhere is NC in general. Any advice or tips would be appreciated! Thank you
Having restaurant experience, are you seeking to remain in the dining and hospitality industries?

Old 11-12-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
When United States Route 74 is rerouted onto the new bypass around Shelby, economic development opportunities will increase in Rutherford County.
I'm not so sure the Shelby bypass will have a major impact on Rutherfordton, but in any event, over half of the project isn't even funded yet, so completion is a long way away.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I'm not so sure the Shelby bypass will have a major impact on Rutherfordton, but in any event, over half of the project isn't even funded yet, so completion is a long way away.
In the long term, Rutherford County will benefit. If South Carolina can move forward in widening United States Route 221 from Chesnee to the North Carolina state line, that will help improve access.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
In the long term, Rutherford County will benefit. If South Carolina can move forward in widening United States Route 221 from Chesnee to the North Carolina state line, that will help improve access.
Perhaps, but when and how much are major questions to consider.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:11 AM

For now yes I plan to stay in the service business. I have experience personally as a server, prep cook, short order cook, and baker and I can also do dishes. Basically whatever a restaurant needs I can do except line cook. At the diner I'm at now I do everything, literally. Any sort of public transportation would help us out but we are also perfectly able to walk a mile or two each way to get to work. I also did some research on public transportation in NC and it seems pretty decent. We haven't settled on a specific city or town so anywhere in NC with public transport, good schools, low crime and decently priced rent is good for us. As I said before we have no problems with some walking. Where we live now, we walk everwhere. A few miles a day is not a big deal. Thanks for the input

Old 11-13-2015, 08:49 AM

395 posts, read 462,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sextoncas92 View Post
For now yes I plan to stay in the service business. I have experience personally as a server, prep cook, short order cook, and baker and I can also do dishes. Basically whatever a restaurant needs I can do except line cook. At the diner I'm at now I do everything, literally. Any sort of public transportation would help us out but we are also perfectly able to walk a mile or two each way to get to work. I also did some research on public transportation in NC and it seems pretty decent. We haven't settled on a specific city or town so anywhere in NC with public transport, good schools, low crime and decently priced rent is good for us. As I said before we have no problems with some walking. Where we live now, we walk everwhere. A few miles a day is not a big deal. Thanks for the input
Have you looked a little closer at Hendersonville? Compared to other towns in WNC, it is supposed to have a decent school system (which is not saying much since the entire school system in the country is an embarrassment being that this is the US of A, yet a huge percentage of its citizens cannot find their own state on the map of the country, never mind their own country on the map of the world, have trouble spelling, etc.). Anyway, H'ville has a lot of restaurants and also a public transit system that I see people using on a regular basis. And if you could get a rental closer to downtown, you could easily walk or bike to the restaurants if you get a job in one of them, and have your children be in the school that would be for your address. Google 'Main St., Hendersonville', and take the google person for a walk on the part that starts around 7th Avenue, and take it south to West Allen St., and look around a bit. You will see the many restaurants. And there are many more, of course, along Four Seasons Blvd., etc.
We have also found Hendersonville to be a very safe town, never having a weird feeling, no matter where we walked. It may be a town worth checking out for you and your family.
Good luck in finding the right place for all of you!

Old 11-13-2015, 09:26 AM

Thank you for the input, we will have to check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina