Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 03:33 PM

42 posts, read 76,681 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am new to this forum and have seen a lot of posts regarding moving to Asheville, Greensboro etc, but what about the towns of Brevard or Waynesville. I have visited both of these cities and found them charming. I love the moutains and am very big into hiking, backpacking etc. I am also a nurse and am interested in any information on jobs in the local hospitals. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 07:16 PM

518 posts, read 2,225,912 times
Waynesville and Brevard are both quite nice and you can't go wrong with either, but there are some differences between the two. I have sent you a private message with my take.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:30 PM

23,014 posts, read 34,376,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
Waynesville and Brevard are both quite nice and you can't go wrong with either, but there are some differences between the two. I have sent you a private message with my take.
Hey would you send me a private message too about the same thing. These are areas we're also thinking about. Thanks

Old 10-29-2006, 08:14 PM

131 posts, read 188,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky View Post
Hi, I am new to this forum and have seen a lot of posts regarding moving to Asheville, Greensboro etc, but what about the towns of Brevard or Waynesville. I have visited both of these cities and found them charming. I love the moutains and am very big into hiking, backpacking etc. I am also a nurse and am interested in any information on jobs in the local hospitals. Thanks in advance.
I hear Highlands is paying top pay for nurses in WNC

Old 11-16-2006, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
I am also seriously considering brevard vs waynesville for living and opening a restaurant. Please pass along your insights to me too

Old 11-30-2006, 12:04 PM
cgm

16 posts, read 84,941 times
Default Moving to Brevard

I am interested in finding out more about Brevard public shool system. We will be moving there next year (2007) with 2 children (middle and high school grades) to work and to eventually retire in the area. I was told that Carolina Day School would be a better option for education (more Advance Courses, better College placement options). Are Hendersonville or Asheville public schools better? Any sugestions? Thank you!

Old 11-13-2007, 03:13 PM

94 posts, read 227,355 times
Default me too

Hi chisoxfan. I am interested in a comparison between Brevard and Waynesville too. I wish you had just posted your reply on the board. Looks like there are several of us with the same thought. Could you send me your ideas too? Thanks.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:36 PM

485 posts, read 561,103 times
Yes, please make your thoughts public. Private replies leave inquiring minds inquiring...

My opinion is that Brevard is a little more expensive and with a little less Industry" than Waynesville. The latter will grow more quickly and is more similar to Hendersonville than to Brevard.

I would definitely like to hear other takes tough!

Old 11-13-2007, 06:46 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post
Yes, please make your thoughts public. Private replies leave inquiring minds inquiring...

My opinion is that Brevard is a little more expensive and with a little less Industry" than Waynesville. The latter will grow more quickly and is more similar to Hendersonville than to Brevard.

I would definitely like to hear other takes tough!
Really, you think Waynesville will become more like Hendersonville?

I am attracted to both areas, I love Waynesvilles altitude and close proximity to all the hiking, and also its adorable Main Street.

I like Brevard because it is so charming, has that real town feel, has Brevard College etc. It seems it is a little lower elevation wise and I think it rains more there? I think I could be happy in either area but would love it if someone would like to compare and contrast these two. . . Thanks

Old 11-14-2007, 09:44 AM

518 posts, read 2,225,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post
OK, here goes ...

Both are beautiful in their own way. I think Waynesville is drop-dead spectacular because of the mountains. It is surrounded by the highest concentration of 6,000-foot-plus peaks in the eastern U.S. and there's a mountain view from almost every spot in town. On the other hand, if you like streams and waterfalls, Brevard's the winner.

Waynesville's climate is a bit cooler in the summer and fall because of the elevation (being South Floridians, the cooler the better for us). But Brevard will have the warmer winters, which might be important if you're a year-round vs. seasonal resident.

Waynesville is a little easier to get to because it's close to I-40 and the Great Smoky Mountain Expressway, which provides easy access to Asheville, Knoxville and even Atlanta. On the other hand, that means more traffic, and, down the road, more growth (you already see it there with the big new Wal-Mart/Home Depot complex being built). Brevard seems to have less of a "city" atmosphere and seems like more of a place to "get away from it all."

I've also always thought Waynesville has a bit of a blue-collar atmosphere to it, which I like. There's the railroad and some industry, and also a warehouse district on the edge of downtown in which an excellent coffee house and some interesting shops and galleries have been established. Waynesville gets a lot of "props" for its downtown and deservedly so, but I think Brevard's is pretty nice as well.

Brevard seems to have a few more planned community-type developments with recreational amenities such as Connestee Falls and Sherwood Forest. Land and home prices seemed to be about the same.

As for the people, I have nothing but nice things to say about both places. All of our experiences have been pleasant. We've already made quite a few friends in Waynesville.

We chose Waynesville because we found the ideal piece of land close to town -- when we saw it after a few days of searching, we knew it was what we wanted for our eventual retirement. But we also would have been comfortable buying near Brevard -- it was a "win-win" situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina