Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:18 PM

16 posts, read 115,748 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for your advice, as for majors, I am undecided, I keep flipflopping, but I am leaning towards journalism, athletic training/exercise science, or teaching. As for the out of state/instate debate, I appreciate your concern, but I don't feel as if the out of state tuition is just money I have to blow, I know out of state is more expensive, I have looked at the costs and my parents are aware of the costs also I've wanted to go out of state for awhile, and my parents have known that and prepared for it, and have actually encouraged me to go out of state as they both love to travel and want me to broaden my views as well. I know Wisconsin has good universities, but I have lived here basically my whole life, and I don't want a limited view of the world. I would much rather go to a school that is more expensive that I love, love my time there, and have some loans to pay than go somewhere I don't want to go and spend 4 years of my life there. I also believe being somewhere you like/dislike affects your academic motivation. If I am somewhere I don't really want to be, but it's cheaper, I doubt I'm going to be as motivated if I am hating where I'm at. I could go in-state, it would be cheaper, I could live at home even and go to the local state university which is only 25 minutes away, but I'd be miserable.

I strongly believe college is a time to focus on academics and education, however I strongly believe that the type of college you are at, location, etc shapes you and the person you will become. I know my majors aren't too uncommon, I know I can find schools with them in-state (actually I am looking at schools in Minnesota, and Wisconsin students get instate tuition in Minnesota), but I would also like to experience something relatively new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 08:38 PM

80 posts, read 367,647 times
I'm a flip-flopper here too.

But journalism looks like it's going to come out on top.

Good luck in whatever you do!

Old 12-13-2007, 09:26 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided2008 View Post
Thank you everyone for your advice, as for majors, I am undecided, I keep flipflopping, but I am leaning towards journalism, athletic training/exercise science, or teaching. As for the out of state/instate debate, I appreciate your concern, but I don't feel as if the out of state tuition is just money I have to blow, I know out of state is more expensive, I have looked at the costs and my parents are aware of the costs also I've wanted to go out of state for awhile, and my parents have known that and prepared for it, and have actually encouraged me to go out of state as they both love to travel and want me to broaden my views as well. I know Wisconsin has good universities, but I have lived here basically my whole life, and I don't want a limited view of the world. I would much rather go to a school that is more expensive that I love, love my time there, and have some loans to pay than go somewhere I don't want to go and spend 4 years of my life there. I also believe being somewhere you like/dislike affects your academic motivation. If I am somewhere I don't really want to be, but it's cheaper, I doubt I'm going to be as motivated if I am hating where I'm at. I could go in-state, it would be cheaper, I could live at home even and go to the local state university which is only 25 minutes away, but I'd be miserable.

I strongly believe college is a time to focus on academics and education, however I strongly believe that the type of college you are at, location, etc shapes you and the person you will become. I know my majors aren't too uncommon, I know I can find schools with them in-state (actually I am looking at schools in Minnesota, and Wisconsin students get instate tuition in Minnesota), but I would also like to experience something relatively new.
Sounds like you have your head on straight to me Many of my sons friends from here in Charlotte will be heading up to App next fall too - you will meet some great people there!

Old 12-13-2007, 11:23 PM

51 posts, read 191,289 times
Quote:
I also believe being somewhere you like/dislike affects your academic motivation. If I am somewhere I don't really want to be, but it's cheaper, I doubt I'm going to be as motivated if I am hating where I'm at. I could go in-state, it would be cheaper, I could live at home even and go to the local state university which is only 25 minutes away, but I'd be miserable.
Undecided, what you stated above will apply throughout your life in all areas of life! If you are in a place you don't like, in a school you don't like, in a job you don't like, in a relationship you don't like, in anything you don't like, then you will not be as motivated! So the key is, while you're still young, be proactive in choosing the things that matter and don't just settle because something is cheaper or easier! Follow your heart and your dreams!

Regards,
Carolyn

Old 12-14-2007, 11:11 AM
PCR

10 posts, read 27,468 times
Undecided, you've got your head on straight! You'll go far in life.

Check your direct messages - I sent my daughters email to you.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:34 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,107,298 times
As for App State...they're playing for their 3rd straight national football championship tonight in Chattanooga against the University of Delaware. The game will be televised on one of the ESPN networks. GO MOUNTAINEERS!

Old 12-15-2007, 06:59 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,247,679 times
Dear Undecided,
Sorry I lost control there. Thanks for your clarifications. We mountain folk are a pretty tough bunch. Anyhow, if you have a break with reality and decide to stay in Wisconsin, here's a couple links:

www.uww.edu/factsheets/journalism.html (broken link)
university of wisconsin-whitewater mass media school
exchange program with Ireland and Australia
9,000 students

www.journalism.wisc.edu/
university of wisconsin-madison journalism school
one of the top schools in the country for journalism
37,000 students

Everyone else,
I think all of you are nuts.
GG

Old 12-15-2007, 10:45 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Dear Undecided,
Sorry I lost control there. Thanks for your clarifications. We mountain folk are a pretty tough bunch. Anyhow, if you have a break with reality and decide to stay in Wisconsin, here's a couple links:

www.uww.edu/factsheets/journalism.html (broken link)
university of wisconsin-whitewater mass media school
exchange program with Ireland and Australia
9,000 students

www.journalism.wisc.edu/
university of wisconsin-madison journalism school
one of the top schools in the country for journalism
37,000 students

Everyone else,
I think all of you are nuts.
GG

You seem to be implying a "break with reality" would be the only cause for a family or young person to decide on an out of state college? I guess you live a very limited existence - which is FINE, it is your life - but there is nothing wrong with people wanting to take a broader view of the world. Please stop treating this young man like he has a problem, when in fact the problem is yours.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,285 times
Hi Undecided,

I've lived in Houston, Atlanta, Richmond, DC and many other places. At this point in my life, I have chosen to call the Boone area home. It's a great place ... not problem free (gee, I guess that would be heaven, right?), but a whole lot better than most. Unless you grew up in Florida, the winters are not a big deal. Plus . . . the local government knows how to maintain the roads (and does). Our son is an ASU graduate who was hired before he graduated by a large, southeastern based financial firm. A family friend was able to take her choice from a number of education-based jobs in a major eastern city.
You may not have some big city amenities, but you will enjoy a great education in a beautiful part of the US that offers hiking, climbing, bouldering, fishing, rafting, skiing, snowboarding, etc. Nice people, safe place. Best of luck to you!

Old 12-16-2007, 11:15 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,347,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Mary, I THINK you meant to say out of state tuition is expensive? Because instate tuition is quite a deal if you ask me at under $5000 a year!

Even out of state tuition is not bad - compared to most other states rates at just under $14,000 a year. I know that sounds like a lot, but as the parent of a child looking at schools in other states right now I promise you, I would love to find one as cheap as $14,000!
LOLOLOLOL, Loves - I was in the middle of a tuition question from a potential student in one of my programs - I did mean IN-STATE! Anyway, looks like the thread got a little intense while I was gone. Heavenly stars! - which, by the way, one can see plenty of on a clear night in Boone. My son chose the business track while there in 2000 - 04.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina